550 A/C not blowing on passenger side | FerrariChat

550 A/C not blowing on passenger side

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by m5shiv, Sep 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Seems like only half my vents are blowing. Driver's side, and 2 out of the 3 center vents. Are there any obvious or known issues to look for ? Thanks.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The 550 DIAVIA system is a bit of a mystery. We don't have a wiring diagram specific to the 550, but there should be similiarites between the 456M and the 550.

There are 3 air distribution motors and 2 recirculation motors with functions which are not clear. For some reason there are left and right motors (but as we know, there are no independent controls for left and right).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Some of the motors are some accessible from the cabin (3 and 9), but I'm not sure about 1, 6 and 7.

Looking at the 456M diagram, the power for the left and right recirculation motors seems to be in parallel, so it's unlikely to be a power issue. Perhaps a motor problem on the passenger side? Is the air blowing in a different direction on the passenger side?

Here's the wiring diagram for the 456M:

456 DIAVIA Wiring Diagram

There is a diagnostic plug. Perhaps it's a problem best identified by a Ferrari tech? (what you intend doing after that is up to you)

m5shiv likes this.
  3. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Thanks, I'll talk to the techs and see what they say.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Please let us know how you go.

I just realised (from looking at the 456 diagram) that none of the motors have any (position) feedback on them so the diagnostics may not be able to identify an individual motor fault. Also, the ECU won't know if there is a mechanical fault with the motor mechanisms.

If I had to do the work myself, I would focus on #7 and #9 in the Air Conditioner Diagram above. Perhaps there's a loose connector or broken linkage.