512TR Help with physical access to 3 "blower always on" components | FerrariChat

512TR Help with physical access to 3 "blower always on" components

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by awatkins, Mar 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    My 512TR's HVAC blower is suddenly always on, not very long after someone else replaced the 2N3055 which exhibited the more common off-except-when-fully-on symptom; none of the HVAC buttons has any effect on this. Having removed the temperature controller from the console switch panel I find that its long two-black-wire harness is disconnected, and this being what bypasses the transistor, my current assumption is I just have yet another fused power 2N3055. I have removed the eyeball vents and can reach in and touch the power transistor, but what I would really like is access to the three-conductor connector that supplies it (the white one?) . My car is LHD, and I assume the connector is on the right side of the console under the dash, but so far I have not seen it. It appears that I need to remove the knee bolster, which appears to be secured by several relatively large hex-head screws. But I don't know what else might prevent it from dropping. Could someone who has done this please describe briefly what I need to do to drop the bolster, and/or whatever I need to do to get access to that connector?

Knowing how to get to the power transistor would also be useful, so if you can help with that I'd really appreciate it. I am completely unfamiliar with how the dash comes apart. Of course if a thread covers this I would appreciate a pointer, I couldn't find anything 512TR-specific.

Also, I would of course like to know where (physically) the two-black-wire transistor bypass harness is supposed to connect. Whoever was in there before me neatly coiled it all up and tie-wrapped it, but it appears to have a 1/4" and a 3/16" female faston terminal. It also appears to be a couple feet long so I assume it is routed forward through the shift linkage tunnel to somewhere under the dash.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Sorry, every where above where I said “ temperature controller” I meant “blower controller”.

3. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    I have just discovered/realized, by looking at others' pictures of the 140151 blower controller aka "fan ECU," that the two black wires were an add-on by some predecessor to me since that switch is unconnected in the third 140151 version of the controller/ECU. It's closed in all positions except fully CCW. So the click you hear and feel when you rotate the knob means nothing.