512 TR values - Another leg up | Page 3 | FerrariChat

512 TR values - Another leg up

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ASK328, May 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Where are you getting your info, as I believe you're mistaken

38 is the number of righthand drive ABS cars

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    In the graph that was posted earlier from Haggerty... it shows values for a #4 car at 280 or so, going up to $500k for a #1. YET, the same graph states that the AVERAGE VALUE is $286...

Seems to imply the average car is a #4... I mention this as I tried to insure my testarossa as a #2, and the insurance company said that the hagerty prices are not representative of the market... Hagerties little post that the average car is worth the same as a #4 is confusing...

Thoughts?

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I expect the same to happen with the 328s, where the GTB version is scarcer in US-spec, but the superior Euro spec is probably 10 times more available. The only sticking point is here in California, where a US-spec car is almost mandatory.

Regardless, the cars seem overpriced at the moment. So, a good time to own one if you bought it a few years back, but I wouldn't want to be the one who bought in at $340K.

4. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Not to derail the thread, but there are very few differences between the US and ROW spec 328s. I don't see there being much valuation differences even in the long term.

And, given the sales of Euro 512TRs recently, there really isn't much of a price premium, if any, for a Euro 512TR (or regular TR) here in the US.

Finally, as I've said on the forum before, some 93 512TRs have the upgraded differential that is commonly believed only to be installed on the 94. I sold a 93 last year that I confirmed had the newer diff, with confirmation that it was born that way as well. However, there's no question that the 94 still carries a premium over the 92-93. I agree that this premium will become compressed over time.

5. AMG Merc

AMG Merc Rookie

Aug 6, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Ross, what makes a 92 TR eligible to import into the US in 2017? I ask as I also have a 92 here in the UK.

6. AMG Merc

AMG Merc Rookie

Aug 6, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Absolutely. And they pay £30M even if it's been crashed in earlier life!

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #57 Melvok, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is absolutely NO GUARANTEE that your so-called new diff (F 1) will stay out of trouble at all.

We have seen and heared oem "upgraded-diffs" also broken or having extensive damage on the place where the bearings fit damaged (F 5)(must be replaced too).

ONLY way is to have a safe gb in your car is to install specially greated, real upgraded diffs as for instance Newmans (F 2) or Forza Components diffs (F 4).

If interested at all read about gb's and diff here !

The real experts will tell you more ....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Mel, I'm not disagreeing with you that the original diffs in a 512TR won't fail, even the factory "upgraded" diff, simply because of the greater torque of the 512TR motor. And, that if I owned one in my own collection, and planned to drive it even moderately hard, I would replace the diff with one of the aftermarket upgraded diffs.

All I'm talking about is the market perception of the values of these cars. When a serious buyer does research on the 512TR, they find out very quickly that one of the weak parts of the car is the diff, and that an upgraded part was installed in the 94 cars (and some 93s). Most of the buyers paying big money for these cars today aren't going to drive the cars much, and having original parts on the car is of vital importance (for Classiche certification, etc.).

9. AMG Merc

AMG Merc Rookie

Aug 6, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Totally agree, can't see this being an issue myself.

10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

Im not supporting shady practices but......., If the diff was put in by an independent how would the Classiche guys know? I thought the Classiche certification was like a Factory sponsored Concourse.

11. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I'm not sure the details of the process, however mine is being done this month so I'll let everyone know when it's done and pass on the info/process.

12. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Can't see the Classiche certification opening the gearbox to verify an upgraded diff.

13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thats what I thought Tim. Kinda sad it the process devalues a known upgrade.

But tradition is tradition.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    they dont

15. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Now they have two 1992 512TR's for sale. 1 asking 315 will take 290 I was told. The 2nd I have no idea the price is yet.

R & H MOTORCAR GROUP
    motorcargroup

I think they will both sell, if not most all Ferraris, much quicker after the August Pebble Beach and Quail lodge concourse. Ferrari Fever. IMO.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    In my case the F dealer said that the Forza Diff with its document was a PLUS for a sale !

17. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Ferrari of Beverly Hills has a black on black 93 512TR for sale, and I just spoke with the sales guy it is a consignment car.
    Owner is asking 375k and apparently open to offers according to the salesman.

18. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Prices on these cars keep moving- and asking prices are all over the place

Can someone please tell me what the values are and the what the spread is nowadays between 92, 93 & 94 model years??

19. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    It appears most 92's actually sell in the low to mid 200's +/- ( always an exception for the museum piece on all years) 93's and 94's in the high 200's to low 300's. ABS cars are a $ plus.

There is only what, about 409 512TR's in the US. So going out on a limb there is probably about 10 buyers out there for each car or more maybe... What if....there is 100 buyers out there per car???? Now we have the market we're in.
    Once a car is sold cheap or expensive it does not matter it's off the market and the pool just got smaller. ABS's cars in the US....about 38, awfully small pool.

Low mile cars, no one knows exactly and one could argue define low, good or bad, however it seams to me the only time it affects price on an average is a car with north of 30,000 miles.
    Again a museum piece with 800 miles to a collector is good, to a enthusiast it's not. So I believe in the consensus here on F-Chat a good rule of thumb is 1000 miles a year +/_ is a sorted good car.
    Color regards to value is totally subjective. If I had to guess the order would be something like this for popularity today ( changes often )
    Red black white TDF yellow silver/grey then all the rest.
    All of this is just my opinion, worth in today's market with inflation $0.12
    And this is the USA market opinion on for sale and sold cars, however the buyers are world wide.

20. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    That's good summation Daniel. As we are approaching winter, I would think it's going to cool off for the next 4-5 months, and then spring cycle will kick in.

Still thinking of getting your car classiche certified?

21. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  22. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    It is being serviced and classiche certified, typical Ferrari, lol, it' been done next month, 2, 3, 4 , 5, 6, almost done, 7, 8, well.....crap, typical Ferrari.....lol

23. akingump

akingump Rookie

Apr 8, 2014
    A clean Red/Tan 1994 512 TR with under 3000 miles just sold for $455k.

24. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Wow. That is surely raising the bar for the 512TR.