512 TR values - Another leg up | Page 2 | FerrariChat

512 TR values - Another leg up

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ASK328, May 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree with your entire post, and the downside of high valuations is significant for the enthusiast.

2. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
  3. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    these ultra high valuations are ultimately not good for enthusiasts. I cant imagine why anyone wants their car to be worth so much other than bragging rights or are these cars becoming part of peoples retirement plans? not mine.

if you make $150k a year and your driving around a $350k car you'll think twice about taking it out... if you don't dive your car then, its just sculpture. Big deal

insurance cost will go up, way up! my Lambo rates are getting painfully high. rates were once around $750. a year, they are now much much higher.

once you sell out u may not get back in! I'm feeling a bit trapped myself.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then sell your car for 350k, wait until the bubble will burst and buy the same car back or an other for the half. you only need time.
    and if you cannot buy an other one day you know you made good profit , had much fun and you are one of only a little few who ever had such car.

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  7. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Well I have resisted chiming in, but.......I have seriously been considering the idea of selling my 94TR, red w/black interior, 21k miles. time for something different and pay for some kids education. I would imagine real world it's worth considering I certainly could do this just to eliminate the stress of tuition coming up. 46k for one year, ouch. And in 18 months a second child entering the same $$$$ tuition. double ouch.
    Or am I stupid, just keep the car? Sell something else?

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not an easy car to replace - stocks and bonds can always be rebought

9. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Totally agreed.

10. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Another 512M for sale on ebay $530k, seams there are allot more 512M's that have been for sale lately over 94 512tr's. Possibly because everyone is on the money wagon......I hope they get it.

11. hensleyac

hensleyac Karting

Jun 2, 2015
    Estero Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Saw that too. Thought maybe it was Enzo's personal car or something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    You will NEVER ever buy the same car again ... because by then you cannot afford one ... serious! If possible: keep it.

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think Dino owners are recognizing an overheated market -- an opportune time to cash out, and perhaps buy back in in a few years at a more sensible level.

If I had an F512M, I would be cashing out.

Depends if it's a fun toy for you or an investment. IMHO, values are high right now, and I would expect them to retreat somewhat. But, no crystal ball here...

14. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    25 year rule does not apply in CA, pre 1974 period are the only smog exempt, state supersedes federal, been there done that allot in CA. Kit cars built using the new @#$100 exempt rule can get by.

15. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I do need and appreciate everyone's input. My cars have always been a double edge sword. All of my cars are for the love of cars and I like everything. They were never intended for investment so to speak, just a hobby. Like many of us our hobby has become an obsession of cool cars over 30 years, buy right, the right car, a good car, good bones and so on. The goal was to have variety and try not to lose money. Well oops the obsession took over and every car that I had...."SQUIRREL" .......I want that one now, always upgrading.
    Fast forward half way through and wow, look in my garage, wow this could be a cool retirement fund, tax free, more or less. So the evolution of cars continued to now.
    The 512tr is currently getting classiche certified by a factory authorized Ferrari dealer. I think it is time to sell, pay for Gonzaga University tuition, oh and not to mention Gonzaga Prep, $1000 month for each kid.
    I bought my BOSS 429 for 25k, sold it for 100k, today it's worth 300k. No regrets I got market value at the time and it got me into my first Ferrari.
    That said, I think I am on the 360 path, they are close enough to the bottom of the market, I absolutely love them. If it goes down or up??? this will not be investment but a want to, one I can drive and not worry about "miles" with enough money left over for kids.
    Wow, this has got to be getting boring for all of you. And I will be selling the Shelby as well as the 69 Camaro pace car project. I have different priorities since Dad died, I do not want 6-8 cars anymore 4 is plenty.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    DanielG,
    I understand you, but never sell the shelby ( if it is an original ), and also not the camaro pace car. they both will keep the value or even get more. the 360 I think never will get high price, even with low mileage, too much have been built.
    only for example: I still have my renault 5 turbo 2 since about 28 yeras, meanwhile the cheapest one at mobile.de is offered for about 69k euro, so 4 times more than new. I would never sell mine because it makes too much fun. and as long as I enjoy driving ( 60 years young now :) ) and I don´t would need the money I keep him.
    so for daily driving the 360 may be ok, but you loose money. better drive something what brings more money in a couple of years.

17. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's amazing to see how many Ferrari fans are ALSO Mustang fans (I am one of them and thought I was the only one for a while!) So, tell me about your Shelby? '67 GT-500 by chance? :)

18. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I have 2 Shelby's, 1967 GT350 #1102 and 1967 GT500 #806, yes both real. And 1970 1/2 RAIV Trans Am, 1969 Camaro Pace car, 65 Contemporary Cobra, 1994 512TR, 1932 Ford truck ( my Dad's).
    Selling the GT350 it's a done car, maybe the GT500 it's a project car.
    And buying a 360 is a want, knowing it will go down is value is okay with me, I cant imagine it being worth less than 50 in five years.

19. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    How many confirmed sold 512trs and how much since Jan. I know of two.
    Yellow/black 94 229k 34k miles
    red/tan 94 351k 6k miles

anyone else?

20. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Of course , I am keep mine - 8900 KM 512M REd/Blk :)

21. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #46 msdesignltd, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

The sound, the fury and the raw HP,,,
    But mostly the sound!!!
    Once you have tasted Fomoco
    Nothing is the same!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Beautiful, and my favorite displacement! :)

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The curve in that graph tells a lot. Something is up a d the mega rich know about it. Napolis must know somthing...

24. sennadrive

sennadrive Rookie

Oct 10, 2012
    Canada
    1994 Ferrari 512tr is becoming unreachable in 2-5 years very rare onlEY 38 of them made for us market\. how many still left is UNKNOWN

25. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Where are you getting this 38 figure from?-- I believe you're mistaken

38 is the number of righthand drive cars with ABS