512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

512 BBi, #51257 ended up in my garage

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the warning. I will only tighten very carefully since all force are carried in the other direction via the circlip on the cylinder. The two washers are only there to ensure the correct gap while welding.

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I am preparing the car for installation on the crash frame and have started dismanthling the suspension system. Started in the "nice" rear end to enhance motivation. All 4 corners removed over two days. Not a single bolt have ever been removed before in the rear end.....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Brakes looks good as new and the original pads shows +- 1 mm wear.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rear lid with original paint inside (and outside)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Exhaust system is Ansa Sports exhaust and headers:

Then the last one and a question for the US experts. Is this rear end support bar a "Federation" gift or is it original?:

Best Peter

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats a federation addition to the rear

The front structure has a part number in the book which I believe is still available from ferrari. I considered replacing the one on the 76 resto which is how I knew I could get one.

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks Paul. The front end space frame has a separate purchase number #60847200 superceeded by #61041200, but it is unavailable according to Maranello classic parts UK.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The 84 boxer restoration thread I started might help you with seeing what the structure should look like.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Absolutely Paul. I have a very good idea of the construction and even the dimensions after reading of your restoration thread(s) and numinous other threads on this site. Fchat is a fantastic source of information!

Best Peter

turbo-joe and G. Pepper like this.
  7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Just a little update and teaser from the north. Too much ordinary work and too little time in the garage but still some destructive progress. The front end is taken almost all apart and the engine is out. Next step is to install the car on my Car-O-liner crash frame and get the welding machine started. I have just received special made oval tubing from UK so I am well covered for parts the next couple of month. The pictures talk for themselves.

Best regards Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2494623

dgt likes this.
  8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    No big progress lately other than in the spare parts department. I am very close having all the parts I need for the front end repair. I have to thank every one that have contributed with spare parts delivery including Newman and Tom Shaugnessy. It is not all paper work though, fixing the beaten to dead lead hammer made a small fun project today:

Best Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt and G. Pepper like this.
  9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Also produced a new bottom foot well for the passenger side. The original foot well was damaged during the front end impact and the repair job was not done very well. I decided to cut out the entire foot well, repaired it on the outside and made a mold. Finally I molded a new foot well in 3 layers of 300 gr/m2 glass fiber narrowing down to 2 layers in the vertical sections that connects with the upper part of the well.

Best Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt and G. Pepper like this.
  10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    By the way still missing following left and right side panels #7 & #12. Also missing the 4 small rear and front bumper trim end fittings. Verell normally sells these but he is out of stock. Any hints welcome.

Best Peter

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to make this hammer I think is the best idea for 2018. you should get an award :) :)
    your main business is mould maker? or equal?

but this what you do F did the same at that time. so all hand made

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Not mold maker....paper and project pusher...-:) All skills are self taught so take my engineering with a gran of salt. Made a hammer from scratch a couple of years ago for my Dino (That's were I have the steel head from that I used for the mold), so you can say I am already trained.

MAD828 likes this.
  13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Interesting post as the 512--- caught my eye. My 512 BBI was bought new in 84 & I imported it to the USA. It was one of the last. At the time of my purchase it was one of( 2) 84's that were new, but to my knowledge not the last 2 cars made of the 512 BBi vintage. My Silver car in Paris & a Rossa car in Sturgartt. I chose the Silver as it was cheaper due to the difference at the time between the Mark and the Franc. I can remember the 512... but do not remember the last digits. It was Diamond Silver with dull black below. Came with knockoff (3 bladed), Interior was Dark Blue( smelled like horse hide rather than normal leather aroma.) with a herring bone pattern to the interior roof. Yellow French Lights & plexi) I'll never forget my first drive in the States via the Jacksonville Port in Fl. Still have the pictures. Rather than keep it after enjoying the Port Ride I had arranged to have it begin it's long journey to legalization via DOT,EPA guidelines.

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have unfortunately close to no history on the car #51257. I know from the carfax that it is has been in Fort Lauterdale Florida from 1996 to 1998 and then it turns up in Ontario in 2002 on a new title. That's all. The car have had the usual DOT/EPA conversions.

Best Peter

15. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    pshoejberg likes this.
  16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Beautiful Testarossa Volkmar. I like that color more and more and it appeals to me that my 512 BBi most likely is the only one in that color. Anyhow I have some updates on the workshop front. The chassis has been repaired and the correct chassis geometry has been re-established. I will let the pictures speak for them selves, but add that I am a bit chocked over the lack of quality of the old repair job on the main chassis. The geometry of the front wheels and the impact resistance was greatly compromised by use of plastic padding, slack welding and wrong type of oval piping welded into mid sections of members:eek:

First all the damaged chassis members were removed and here after the car was installed on a straight frame:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login .

TerryG! and turbo-joe like this.
  17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The chassis geometry was then checked and adjusted as needed and new chassis members were welded in place. I was very impressed over the quality and dimensional correctness of the oval pipe that Proformance Metals in UK made for me. I can highly recommend their oval profiles and they are great to deal with.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    According to Andreas Birner, my Monospecchio is one of two delivered in Prugna. This impressive color will suit your BBi perfectly.

pshoejberg likes this.
  19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    great pictures, better than any writing:) :)
    how thick is the oval steel material?
    is this the company made the oval tubes? https://proformancemetals.co.uk/ and what specification is the steel?

20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    2 mm Seamless cold drawn mild steel AS i recall. I Will check spec further when i return from travelling.

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  22. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The oval tube supplier has just verified that the material is E235 mild steel. In appearance and behavior very much alike the material originally used in the production car Ferrari frames I have worked with. By that I mean welding and cutting is the same (easy) and to quote the supplier: "As far as we have seen, originals were made from a mild steel welded tube. The tube that we have supplied is seamless and the material spec is E235. Please be assured that the tube is stronger and easier to work with than the originals. We know that some racing versions contain a chromoly material which could then enable smaller dimensions and thinner wall thicknesses to be used due to its superior strength (These can also be supplied, but they are more difficult to work with and to weld)".

I hope this clarifies your question Romano.

Best regards

Peter

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you very much peter for this info

when I have a look at the datasheet for E235 from ThyssenKrupp it says as you also have written, seamless, but also it says circle round, not oval round. so they bended those round pipes to oval pipes?
    again my question: is this the company you got those tubes from? https://proformancemetals.co.uk/

24. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Yes Proformance Metals is the supplier of the oval pipes. The oval pipes are made from seamless round pipe that is pulled through a oval sized die without any heat applied. You can get E235 grade pipes and profiles both in welded and seamless application. For the rest of the front reconstruction I am using thick wall metric square and rectangular welded profiles in grade E235+Cr1.