500 Mondial, S.II 0556(0446)MD | Page 8 | FerrariChat

500 Mondial, S.II 0556(0446)MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Bryanp, Apr 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    What an AWESOME story!! Bryan are you going to be teasing us all week with more tidbits until the Open House? :)

Bill

2. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Lashdeep: Who you gonna believe?? Are you bringing out your VINTAGE Ferrari to see the Admiral's car? M
    BrianP: You ought to re-post that Shell ad with the 500 engine at speed.
    All: There is no Ferrari sound quite like that amazing motor full out! M

3. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    If it is back from the painter we will scramble to put it together in time!

LS

4. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Beautiful car
    Beautiful story
    Beautiful restoration
    Beautiful family
    = Beautiful results

5. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
  6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #181 Bryanp, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We took the Mondial to the Cavallino Classic in Janary 2009, had a lot of fun, met great people and brought home a lot of bling. As at Pebble, we scored a perfect 100 points.
    Ed's son took this video clip of Dad and the car during judging at Cavallino. The hand waving is during the testing of the lights and Dad's joking w/ the judge (Parker Hall) about having to use his arms as turn signals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw7hFMsrQfQ

At Cavallino we won a platinum class award, the Best 4 cylinder car, and Best in Show - Competition

Here's a pic of Dad and I accepting the 4 cylinder award from the former and current heads of Ferrari Classiche, Sgrs. Vaglietti and Arrighi.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #182 Bryanp, Jun 24, 2009
    the day after Cavallino, we showed the car at a multi-marque show at the old Donald Trump estate, Mar-a-Lago. Again, met great people, got to hang out w/ Dave Olimpi and fellow queen mother owners Richard and Martha Glasser from VA Beach, sipped champagne and took in the sights.

We won the "Vintage Spirit Award" as well as Best in Show - Competition.

The Cavallino photographer shot the car after the show was over. the setting was spectacular.

8. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    congrat's bryan and to your dad too. it deserves everything it gets. I'll be in touch with your dad this week. been swamped.

9. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Very Nice, I am happy for both of you.

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #185 Bryanp, Jun 24, 2009
    After Cavallino, we still had the fried clutch (from the Pebble tour) to deal with. At first, we thought we would install a kevlar-lined clutch, but after extensive research and invaluable insight from Rochester Clutch, we went with a composition clutch facing from a shop recommended by Bill Noon that has done many vintage Ferrari clutches. Apparently, simply having kevlar is not the magic antidote to robust and long clutch life - choosing the proper lining has more to do w/ what type of driving will be done and the engine power characteristics.

We replaced the clutch and had all of the bushings in the entire shift linkage replaced/machined. Minute amounts of slop in each link resulted in occassional difficulty in the shift forks in the transaxle being able to pick up reverse and first. Nothin' like sitting on a hill and realizing you can't grab first!

In May, we put the Mondial in David Carte's rig and took it w/ Marriott's 500 TRC to Reading. Pietro Castiglioni has provided a tremendous amount of support to us over many years of researching Ferrari history by translating many, many factory documents. He made sure we were included in the 2000 Reading show when Sgr. Scaglietti came from Italy to be his special guest and see over a half-dozen Scaglietti-bodied race cars that Pietro had gather from all over the east coast. I posted those pictures in post 23 of this thread.

So taking the car back to Reading in its glory was less like attending a car show than going to a family reunion. Great shots from Bill Proctor of that day.

11. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    i thought your dad could shift that thing with a screwdriver. ;)

12. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    now that I've been inside that transaxle, he was somewhere between lunatic and mechanical genius to drive that thing from Bridgehampton, down the old Long Island Expressway, to the Brooklyn Navy Shipyard using a screwdriver stuck in the gearbox filler hole to shift, instead of the gearshift when one of the shift forks broke during a race . . . . about 1967 or so

Dad mentioned that you're going to get some pics to him??

13. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    an hd copy of the judging movie i believe.

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #189 Bryanp, Jun 25, 2009
    At Reading, Dad had a great conversation w/ a gentleman who was showing a 250GTE. His f-chat name is "stavri", and he started a thread in the vintage forum about his scrapbook he made about his friendship w/ Alfonso de Portago, the famous Ferrari driver whose fatal accident at the Mille Miglia effectively ended that race. I don't want to go into everything that's in that thread, but stavri knew Portago personally and started his scrap book to contain all clippings/pics he could find about Portago's races, including his personal correspondence w/ Portago.

Among his clippings are the best pictures we have ever seen of Schell and Castellotti in our car at the Grand Prix of Venezuela in '55.

check it out

15. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That is awesome!

Thanks for keeping this thread alive Bryan!!

Bill

16. DetailGuy

DetailGuy Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This thread = what dreams are made of ! :) Bryan we all thank you for continuing to share the "ride" of the events you and your dad experiencing.

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #192 Bryanp, Jun 25, 2009
    thanks, guys - it just makes sense to have this thread be the repository for the Mondial's story, so I'll occassionally be dragging it to the top to add recent news/events.

In this last installment (for now), I'm re-posting the pics I put in the Spotter's Thread. These were taken by David Carte a few days ago from the driveway of Sport & Classic. David, Dad, Rory and Brian had been sorting out the gremlins in the FISPA electric fuel pump and the FEMAC mechanical pump. Dad put on the goggles and took it out for a test. The Webers like getting gas, esp at the right pressure!

I am not going to be able to make it to the FCA National, so we won't have an official photographer/videographer there to document the Mondial on the lawn or, more importantly, on the track. To the extent I can deputize guys in the mid-atlantic crew to do some of this, we'd really appreciate it. It sounds like Ed will be there which is great news. The significance of this car being on this particular track is that Elkhart Lake was the last race the car ran (1959) before Dad bought the car - it will be exactly 50 years since the car was on this track!

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #193 Bryanp, Jul 19, 2009
    We've been enjoying some unprecedented (for us, anyway) press coverage that I'll post here.

Dad and the blue car made the covers of Prancing horse and Cavallino at the same time. Weird thing is that both PH and Cavallino are issue number 171 . . . . the PH shot is of mom and dad in the car in the winner's circle at Pebble. The Cavallino shots were taken on the grounds of the Mar-a-Lago estate in January.

19. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #194 Bryanp, Jul 19, 2009
    In the "ironic" category, I found out from a friend of mine who was killing time in an airport, that Dad and I are mavens of men's fashion. Each year, Esquire magazine issues its "Black Book - the Style Manual for Successful Men." A nice b&w pic of us in the blue car (under acceleration from the way the rear is hunched down) during the Pebble Tour appears in the "Sporting Life" section of the issue.

Ironic because neither Dad nor I really give a rat's ass about men's fashion, and I was wearing a greasy pair of Levi's, old running shoes, a t-shirt and a Ferrari windbreaker in the event we broke down. The most expensive thing I have on is the vintage helmet.

Enjoy; and look forward to seeing everyone's pics from the FCA National!

20. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    BrianP You are, none the less, now a certified retrosexual. M

21. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #196 fou, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    I am sure the aroma of your eau de cologne masks any of that yuckie oil smell. Are you handing out free samples of "Mondial Breeze pour l'homme " at the event?

22. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey Bryan,

I doubt your Dad, reads the boards...so could you please pass on to him my best wishes next week at the FCA National Meet! And if anyone is planning on going, could you please take video of the Mondial on the track and post it up for the rest of us? That would be fantastic!!

Bill

23. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    BryanP, you are a real fashion statement...awesome pic in Esquire!

24. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    The car looks great in the b&w photo.
    If you didn't know it was blue, you might think it was a yellow color, given the shading.

Also I just noticed the sticker on the driver's side headlight cover. It makes you realize how spotlessly clean the passenger side headlight cover is at the time.

Bryan, I wonder if you can sell your driving helmet as a high fashion item? :)

25. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    Bryan we all know that you don't give a rats a__ about fashion. That is very apparent to all of us. But don't speak so of your dad. Anyway just kidding you look marvelous. I feel honored to know someone as famous as you have become. Did I see an article about you in the National Enquirer? at the check out stand of the grocery store. Something to do with best beach body in a bikini, or seen with bigfoot at a bar in Paris. Can't remember which. You will be missed next week.