500 Mondial, S.II 0556(0446)MD | Page 7 | FerrariChat

500 Mondial, S.II 0556(0446)MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Bryanp, Apr 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    At least you kept it clean! Again, congrats to the Philips family! Thanks for doing us mid atlanticers proud!

ken

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Looked better with the California smog/haze/wildfire smoke in the background....:D

3. Cris Bertschi

Cris Bertschi Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Full Name:
    Cristián Bertschi
  4. DetailGuy

DetailGuy Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Awesome pics that capture moments of pure happiness!!!!! Bryan, of course you will have to let me get a hold of that car to detail and photograph!!!! :) Supply the redbull and I will come ;) haha

5. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    can't imagine a car needing a detail a couple of weeks out of david cartes shop.

6. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    Look at that smile on the Admiral's face. Kind of tells the whole story, doesn't it! Fantastic job by the whole team who brought this together. Now how do we Mid-Atlantic peons who didn't get to see the finished product, get to see the finished product? Promise no drool on the new paint!!!

Bill

7. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
  8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Brian,

I am so happy for you and your family. So far as I'm concerned the car was the best of show.

john

9. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Let this be an example to everyone of how it should be done. What tops it off, it's not painted red. just one man's opinion tongacrew

10. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Read the first page of this thread for the history of this car and the reason for the color choice. What a GREAT history there!!!

Bill

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    WOW, Richard, thank you so much for posting these!!!

12. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #163 ferrarip4, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #164 Bryanp, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I see that Rob Lay made this thread the "thread of the Month"!

thanks, Rob, and all you guys for showing your enthusiasm for an old car.

these rascals are about 10 lbs apiece, and make excellent chocks!

kidding
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey Guys,

I stopped by FoW yesterday and mentioned to Redding that I will be attending the open house next week. He asked if I could please spread the word, that for those of you who are planning to go to the FoW Open House to see RADM Phillip's Mondial PLEASE send Redding an email letting him know you are coming.

The event is still FREE, but they would just like to get an idea of who's coming so they can plan for refreshments! Redding's email address is: [email protected]

Looking forward to seeing you all next week!!

Bill

15. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Bill: I believe all the Region's old Ferrari iron ought to be brought out of the barns and in attendance to salute this wonderful huge piece of Ferrari history! Michael

16. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    What a great photographic opportunity that would be! However, I wouldn't want to take anything away from RADM Phillips and his family. Perhaps this can be discussed for a future event...it could be called "The Mid-Atlantic Classic". Question is...how many classic Ferrari's are there in the Mid-Atlantic Region?

Does anyone know??

Bill

17. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    define classic

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    definitions that everyone agrees on in this hobby are tough to come by. But to my way of thinking, and I think to a lot of other vintage/classic Ferrari people, a "vintage" Ferrari is everything up to about 72/73, including Daytonas and 365GTC/4's, but not BBs. A "classic" Ferrari would be 72/73 up thru the end of the 328 production.

the vintage guys in this region tend to congregate on www.tomyang.net - we had a tomyang.net get-together at Richard Garre's shop this spring - we probably had more vintage Ferraris come out than were at Reading.

19. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    After I wrote that, I knew this question was going to be asked. :) Personally, I was thinking of the '50's and '60's.

Bill

20. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    I agree w BrianP, there were distinct production values for each of the eras: the coach built period (50s and early 60s), the hand built production era: GTEs thru the GTC4s, then all after, the mass produced era that began with Fiat's ownership. M

21. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Michael, on the Spotters Thread, vintage is 2003 and older. Or anything without NAV and drivers aids.

Bryan, will we be able to see the Mondial in motion on the 20th?

Thanks,
    LS

22. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    yes, i need to be there when it is running.

23. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    You should certainly be able to hear the motor run. Running it around the lot is another matter; the Pebble Tour fried the clutch. We are in the middle of having a new one (using kevlar) manufactured. The factory has actually been helpful w/ certain original dimensions. Having a personal chat w/ Piero Ferrari at Pebble has probably helped that process!

We have also been informed that, while a special committee of judges normally picks the Enzo Ferrari trophy, since both Piero Ferrari and Jean Todt were on the field this year, approval of the committee's recommendation for the trophy was given to Piero and Jean - they agreed that the Mondial should be the recipient.

We also found out our score; 100 points.

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Does it get any better?