500 Mondial, S.II 0556(0446)MD | Page 10 | FerrariChat

500 Mondial, S.II 0556(0446)MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Bryanp, Apr 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Happy Anniversary Admiral!!!!

Bryan, those are two great pictures! Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Bill P.

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Happy 50th!!! Not many can even say that about marriage let alone a car!! True dedication.

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    What an amazing journey.

What is the "periscope" thing seen in the original picture, or is that an illusion?

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    the SCCA rules for that year dictated a "roll post", soon changed to the roll bar and then roll cage.

5. cheny4

cheny4 Karting

Feb 15, 2009
    No VA
    Full Name:
    Cheny Y.
    #230 cheny4, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the pleasure of seeing this historic car at Ferraris On The Vine in Williamsburg and I can tell you that pictures do not do it justice. I felt I was transported back to a different time and place when cars were simpler, more fun and more honest (ie. NOT forgiving). Thank you Admiral and Bryan for bringing history to life and sharing it with me. Happy 50th.

Cheny
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    without a doubt, he must have been the coolest guy on the base, cruising that thing around back then.

7. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    The first pic of your dad in the car is the coolest one I have seen yet. A second LT should have kept a lower profile on base though :)

8. mdempsey

mdempsey Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Full Name:
    Mark P. Dempsey
    PS I was at FOW last week and tried to put a $25.00 deposit on a car and they just laughed at me. What gives?

9. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    sent you a PM Bryan.

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #235 Bryanp, Sep 5, 2010
    Dad discovered while on the track at Road America for FCA 2009, that the 55 year old drum brake linings were past shot. We disassembled and he drove the shoes and drums to Rochester Clutch in upstate NY (where a lot of the NASCAR folks have their brake/clutch work done). Ferrari SpA graciously provided the original specifications for the lining depth (7mm), and Rochester made sure the drums were truly circular, re-lined the shoes, and matched that lining radius to the drums.

Dis-assembling/assembling the shoes is a major pain, since the return springs seem to me to be overdesigned; they are huge (about the size of one's index finger) and require an immense amount of force to close the 3/4" gap between them and lock them into each other. It took us about an hour to get the first (of 8) sets hooked.

Our friend ( and cousin) Harlan Hadley came over yesterday to see what we were up to, saw the spring issue, saw a pair of long-nosed needle nose pliers nearby and asked "do you mind if I destroy these?" Harlan and I sketched a little bit and took turns using the bench grinder and dremel on the pliers. I did some additional tweaking this morning and now we have a tool that reduced the spring task from 60 minutes to about 4 seconds. Now I think Harlan and i will get rich selling this device to the, oh, five guys in America who really could use it.

The pliers now have a narrow hook on the one side, and a machined cup in the other face, which is about 1/4"? shorter than the other leg.

Progress, and very satisfying work.

Pics - the spring arrangement; the new tool; and the 4-second operation - grab and twist.

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Innovation at work!! You sure we shouldn't have contacted the Chinese Embassy to see if they could have someone design and make it over in China and then pay huge tariffs to purchase the final product?? Isn't that how its supposed to be?? ;)

12. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    dammit - they probably saw my pics and are making it as we speak . . . .

13. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    First the phillips screwdriver, now the phillips pliars! Admiral make a pair for me please!!

14. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Post 235 is why I love old cars...bravo Bryan.

These stories make the car even more special.

LS

15. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    Needle nose are a life saver, I've got a draw full of this things in various lengths, widths and angles. Kudos!

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #241 Bryanp, Oct 5, 2010
    From an email my father wrote to his historian buddies;

"Dear Dinosaurs,

This unbelievable saga has added another chapter.

This past week we took the little blue car to Millville, New Jersey for the 2010 Ferrari Club of America National Meet. By some miracle we did not share in the torrential rain which blanketed the eastern mid-Atlantic states on Thursday, the day of the Concours competition. The judges did their work and at the end of the day the little blue car had another Platinum Award to add to the shelf. I also went through the seven page Coppa Bella Machina check list with the inspector including the mandatory road trip to check out brake pull or steering wheel shimmy or missed shifts or a myriad of other proper car operating details.

On Saturday the air was chilly and the sun was very bright. The opportunity to bed and test the new brake linings was at hand. After a couple of laps as a passenger in an instructor car I headed out. After a few laps the brakes settled in and probably were working better than at any time over the past fifty years. The motor could not have felt stronger and seemed anxious to really get going.

By the third session I was very comfortable about the course, braking points were deeper in the approaches, the curbs at the apexes were slight enough to not unbalance the car, the sound of a very healthy motor and the whole experience was really enjoyable. The grin on my face must have been visible even behind the full helmet face shield.

At the awards banquet the dream started all over, somewhat reminiscent of 2008 at Pebble Beach. When all the camera flashes were finished, our table had the following for the little blue car:
    Platinum Trophy
    Coppa Bella Machina Trophy
    Best Scaglietti Designed Race Car Trophy
    Phil Hill Best Competition Car Trophy
    and
    Enzo Ferrari Best of Show Trophy!

I think that completes the trifecta: Pebble Beach, Cavallino and FCA National, plus similar results at Mar-A-Lago, Reading Concours and Milwaukee Masterpiece. Methinks that I should now retire the car from the Concours rat race, and see if I can have a few more fun laps on a track.

Saturday was just an incredible day and the experience of the track laps brought back many memories of the good old days in the sixties.

Enough for now.

Best regards,

Robert"

The Coppa test was pretty funny - probably 2/3 of the 7-page check list was N/A for our car. Our Coppa judge, Wayne Obry, was still getting the bugs out of his teeth after the check ride, when he got to one of the checklist items which was something like "excessive drafts" . . . .

I'll have video, including in-car, up on youtube in a week or so. I'll post the link.

17. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    Seeing this car at the Annual Meet was wonderful and even better after getting a ride in it on the track with Admiral Robert Phillips behind the wheel. I think this was the best perk for being the Annual Meet Chairman. I was smiling all day and still talking about the ride.
    Robert, his wife and his son Brian are great people and hearing the history and stories about this great car are a special treat.

Thank you and we really appreciate you bringing it out and seeing it run on the track. The awards were very well deserved.

Mike Sassaman
    FCA 2010 Annual Meet Chairman

18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hot damn! The juices will flow! ;) Awesome!

Bryan, there are several events where you and he could safely do this in the company of others that feel the same way, and with other very special cars.

Let me know if I can help.

Best, Peter

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    See if you can coax him up our way ;)
    BTW I have a bit of not-so-great video of you from Labor Day I doubt it would be of interest but I've been meaning to tell you.
    David

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Would love to see that, David! It was a pleasure to meet you at that event.

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I enjoyed it as well. Its always fun to put a face to an F-Chatter,
    You've been warned about the video, Now I have to figure out how to send it.
    I'm not sure if I have an E-Mail address

22. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    That's amazing Bryan, thanks for sharing that conversaion. Your dad and that car both deserve all of those accolades, and is a great achievement.

The narrative about the track foray was awesome. After all that's been put into that car nothing is more appropriate than to see it getting properly run. I look forward to getting out there next time it does some laps.

23. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  24. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #249 toggie, Oct 9, 2010
  25. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    many thanks for posting the pics, Ron. We had a great day!

Peter, thank you for the head's up on the VIR events; I'll be in touch. and Harlan H says Hi!