500 Mondial project | FerrariChat

500 Mondial project

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Tim Quester, Dec 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim Quester

Tim Quester Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Tim Quester
    Hi dear members,

im relatively new to the replica world but my dream to own a Ferrari 500 mondial is relatively old.

I won’t be able to purchase a real one. So I would like to get one build on a donor car. Would an Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300 with an extended wheelbase and chassis work as a donor car ? I could use the same motor.

Does anyone have recommendations where I could commission this project ?

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Tim, I think that particular Ferrari's engine is what makes it the marvel it is. I can't help but to think that Aurelio Lampredi was influenced by the Offenhauser Indy when he designed his motor. It's something I would explore if I wanted a Mondial-like motor.

john

3. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
  4. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    2.0l Alfa Spider 105 is the same capacity as the 500 mondial. The mondial is the same engine type as fitted to the later 500TRC. For me if it was a choice to build a mondial or 500TRC I would always pick the TRC.

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    DK Engineering made a small series of 500TRC replicas with V-12 engines. They are beautiful, in my opinion.

6. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    F
    Just to clarify matters, the first Series 500 Mondial had a tipo 110 motor which had the narrow valley valve included angle (58 degrees) head similar to the 1952 and 1953 formula 2 500 motors. The Series 2 500 Mondials had the tipo 111 motor with the wide valley head (85 degrees) as did the tipo 119 750 motor as derived from the mid 1954 tipo 553 F1 motor. The 500TRC motor tipo 131C reverted to the earlier narrow valley design (and with the red painted cam boxes and valve covers informally named the Testa Rossa).

In any event no 500 Mondial replica is any comparison to a real 500 Mondial S2.

Best regards,

Robert

Photo by Ned Lawler 2008 PB Judging - 1st in class and Enzo Trophy for Best Ferrari on the field
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv and NürScud like this.
  7. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    You're going to ruin a beautiful 105 to finish up with a nothing car