500 km/h Veyron | Page 2 | FerrariChat

500 km/h Veyron

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Cozmic_Kid, Dec 31, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I wonder how many stickers that will take to hit 500km/h? :D

2. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    There was a Top Gear episode that tested a Veyron to 267 mph. James May got it up to 416 kph only to be outdone by a VW test driver.

3. 430 scuderia

430 scuderia Guest

Jun 10, 2008
    Probably you're right. I have to hear news for this attempt since 2008. So i guess i was wrong...

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Tires tires tires. Michelin would probably have a fit if Bugatti wanted to go any faster. As they are right now, the tires are pushing the limit in a big way.

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How much weight do you think somebody could take out of the Veyron?

And theoretically you could enlarge the turbo's, yes?

:D

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    600 LBS should be doable. The engine is very heavy.

Enlarging the turbo's should be a doddle. Up the boost etc. Probably fit a straight cut gearbox with diamond gears because the torque will be insane, lol. Aerodynamic tweaks (active floor, get rid of mirrors)...and there's the pointless 500 km/h car.

7. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure how much more they could, the turbos were the main increase to get the Super Sport to 1200hp, along with upgraded intercoolers and the aero.

I'm not sure you could pull much weight, yes there are quite a lot of conveniences in the car that could go, but I really don't think it would make much difference.

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Get rid the the a/c system might drop 30 kilo's... fully engineering a new more standard gearbox might drop 150++ kg. Who knows what it would cost. Converting to RWD would get rid of another 80-150 kg.

9. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The AWD system I'm sure weighs a ton, but I have a feeling it would have a catastrophic effect on the stability of the car. That is what I love about the Veyron, even at top speed it's solid.

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The drivetrain and the cooling system (a huge part of the weight) are intrinsic parts of the design.
    IMO Removing the AC and other luxuries wouldn't result in a big enough drop in weight to make much of a difference in top speed.

11. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agree 100%, it would lose a lot of what the car stands for if you started pulling that stuff off. The car feels like a luxury car at normal speeds and it wouldn't be right not having a radio or AC etc.

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Its all of a piece. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

13. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    FYI, weight has very little to do with top speed, displaced air does. Weight only affects accel measurably from low velocities. The reason I mention those said items is because without them... or with heavily revised driveline properties, the car would create less drag through requiring fewer cooling vents, radiators, and viscous liquids. That is why the SS had a larger focus on revised aero rather than purely bigger balls in the engine.

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As I remember the Veyron required a massive redesign before production to address cooling issues. Adding power would only increase cooling demands. I don't see how cooling capacity could be reduced.

15. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Simple, yet quite complex... get rid of the mechanically complex driveline completely. Put in a traditional straight cut drag racing style gearbox. They are incredibly robust, and would require far less hydrolic fluid, and less cooling since it is much less complex. Additionally, there are fewer gear changes required. That would cut weight, cooling drag, and make it easier to adjust the gear ratio needed for ludicrous speed ;)

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    How much of the cooling capacity (in lbs) is devoted to the drive train as opposed to the engine?

17. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How hard would it be to chop the top of this car and increase the angle of the windshield?

Anything is possible, and if somebody were to take on the task of creating a 300+ mph Veyron, I'd suppose they'd already be crazy.

Above all else though, tires would scare the hell out of me. I'd almost say that Michelin would advise against it! :)

18. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    I don't understand why tires are the limitation, so if someone could elucidate...

As my point of reference in this thought process, I would offer the NHRA's Top Fuel dragsters. Not that I'm a fan of straight line racing (not in the slightest) but as I recalled, the top speeds are well in excess of 500 kph, and they are, of course, wearing tires in the process. I checked Wiki for the scoop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Fuel and it mentions 536 kph (333 mph) as the fastest certified run. (Interestingly, Wiki references the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport as point of reference for hp/torque numbers.)

Yes, I've seen the launch, and the crazy deformation of the tires through centrifugal force, and I also realize that these tires aren't designed to last much more than a quarter mile, but surely the technology that allows each run down that quarter mile to not be a suicide mission, could be transferred to a rubber with better durability? (Higher modulus of elasticity or some such physics term that I've forgotten! ;) )

Do they in fact, even have to be standard pneumatics if the suspension is able to compensate?

Cheers,
    Tad

19. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You said yourself that dragsters tires basically just last that 1/4 mile. One thing that makes the Veyron so special is that it can do 268mph with it's stock tires. If they had to run special tires to get to top speed it ruins it.

I'm no engineer, but the dragster tires and Veyron tires are made for very different things and thus I doubt you could incorporate them. Veyron tires are currently $11k a tire and that is a significant amount even when you don't mind dropping $2m+ for a car.

20. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    #45 rossocorsa13, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    Take off the street tires and you lose "production car" status.

A Veyron running on a set of 15 inch wheels with fat lipped slicks could truck all day at whatever speed the engine would achieve. No big deal. Salt flat runners do it all the time.

But a production Veyron has 19 (20?) inch wheels, both to accomodate the huge carbon brakes underneath and to look good. Those wheels require wide, low-profile tires that can pass international inspection and shed water so that the two ton pig can move around with 1000 hp in the rain (even though the deck lid has no engine cover) without killing anyone.

Production tires that can last at 300mph are a big deal, and low profile tires just don't do the trick. Ever seen an F1 car's tires? Those sidewalls are thick for a reason (lateral load, not top speed, but the idea of load bearing is similar).