5 Ways You Shorten Your Life Every Day | FerrariChat

5 Ways You Shorten Your Life Every Day

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 4re Nut, Jan 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 4re Nut, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A bit of a pessimistic headline given they also include ways to extend your life. :rolleyes:

http://news.menshealth.com/add-years-to-life/2013/01/03/

Disappointing to see FChat not listed. :( :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    “Exercise 150 minutes a week, live 3.4 years longer!”

150 minutes a week * 70 years = ~54 weeks, so you only net 2.4

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    2.4 diaper years.

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think the take-home message here is that if you smoke a pack of cigarettes, you should compensate with an alcoholic beverage and ~23 cups of coffee.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So, drink 1 beer Sun-Fri and then you can down 15 on Saturday with net zero effect. I like it.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think they're also saying you can't eat meat.

Ridiculous.

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Of course someone from Texas would say that but there plenty of research about red meat .

Myself and everyone I know who cut back on red meat felt better .

8. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    LOL, very funny.

Lean Red meat is not bad, but like everything the key is moderation. I get about 1-2 servings of red meat a week. I have been trying to move that up to 2-3 but its hard.

My red meat consumption is limited to:
    1. Filet Mignon, usually a 6oz portion
    2. Lean hamburger, at least 90% lean, and I usually only eat half of a "Texas Roadhouse" sized one. I save the other half for lunch the next day.
    3. Lean meatballs in red sauce with cheese.
    4. Lean red meat in home made tacos, spaghetti, etc, where I buy the meat and control the ingredients and preparation.

Because most people abuse red meat in quantity and quality, its just easier for the "experts" to advise against it. And to that end I suppose I agree.

9. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    ++++++1111111

Yeah, the research, evidence and track record on this has been out there for years now, but many just don't wanna believe it(above 'moderation' post, for example).

Phunny thing is, if one cuts back on red meat enough, then going back 'in moderation' will often bog one down, as the digestive hit from a juice piece o' red meat is pretty noticeable.

When I was testing myself on the meat thing, I tried fryin' up some steak and also some pork chops with nothing on them, to better judge the effect. That'll make a veggie outa ya really quickly :)

What people really like about eating red meat is the fat content(appeals to taste buds) and all of the crap lathered/marinated on that hunk o' flesh. Too bad the underlying reality of it all ain't all that flavorable or good for humans.

That said, there's many other ways of getting your carnivore fix; several of which actually taste better than a T-bone. Turkey, chicken, seafood, etc. can be mighty tasty and cover a wider variety than eatin' different chunks of cow every day.

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I agree moderation is the key. I haven't given it up just cut way down or substitute it. Like chili with Turkey hamburger meat .

Still love a good steak

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I was in a hurry a few weeks ago at lunch and they were out of hamburgers in my buildings cafeteria. The guy said he could make me a turkey burger pretty quickly so I let him.

I've had at least 2/week ever since. I actually really like them. Go figure. Only took me 51 years to figure that out.

I'll probably gain 6 diaper months as Uro puts it.

12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My question is how much of the time we gave up can we get back through clean and healthy liviing, some, all, none? I used to binge drink and now I don't drink at all. Am I still down the time I took off my life? Same for cigarettes? Smoked for a while in my teens and to about 21. I'm 46. Have I not recovered some of that lost time? We are what we eat, literally. Every cell in the body is replaced over time, and has been many times over since some of these sins. You can or can't even the score over time? That's my question.

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    From what I've read generally you can "even the score" to a point, for example Quitting Smoking Can Add 10 Years to Life

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I have never been a fan of red meat. I will eat beef from time to time but it is mostly chicken for myself. The biggest thing here in MT everyone eats beef like it is going out of style. In fact the shop that I work for gives out 100-150 pounds of beef to the employees every year I end up giving it to my daughter and her mom.

15. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Good ? that I too am interested in.

You might be interested in some of these articles I just ran across...Especially this one..

Nixon, K. (2006). Alcohol and adult neurogenesis: Roles in neurodegeneration and recovery from chronic alcoholism. Invited review. Hippocampus 16, 287-295.

Selected Publications
    Marshall, S.A., McClain, J.A., Kelso, M.L., Hopkins, D.M., Pauly, J.R. & Nixon, K. (2013). Microglial activation is not equivalent to neuroinflammation: the importance of microglia phenotype in alcohol-induced neurodegeneration. Neurobiology of Disease, in press.

Hayes, D.M., Deeny, M.A, Shaner, C. & Nixon, K. (2013). What is the threshold for alcohol-induced brain damage? New evidence with gliosis markers. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, in press.

Kelso, M.L., Liput, D.J., Eaves, D.W. & Nixon K. (2011). Upregulation of vimentin suggests novel areas of neurodegeneration in a rodent model of an alcohol use disorder. Neuroscience, 197. 381-393.

McClain, J.A., Hayes, D.M., Morris, S.A. & Nixon, K. (2011). Adolescent binge alcohol exposure alters hippocampal progenitor cell proliferation in rats: Effects on cell cycle kinetics. Journal of Comparative Neurology, 519, 2697 - 2710.

McClain, J.A., Morris, S.A., Deeny, M.A., Marshall, S.A., Hayes, D.M., Kiser, Z.M. & Nixon, K. (2011). Adolescent binge alcohol exposure induces long-lasting partial activation of microglia. Brain Behavior and Immunity, 25, S120–S128.

Morris, S.A., Eaves, D.W., Smith, A.R. & Nixon, K. (2010). Inhibition of adult neurogenesis - a mechanism of hippocampal neurodegeneration in an adolescent alcohol abuse model. Hippocampus 20, 596-607.

Nixon, K. & McClain, J.A. (2010). Recent advances in the neurobiology of adolescent alcohol use disorders. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 23, 227-232.

Leasure, J.L. & Nixon, K. (2010). Exercise neuroprotection in a rat model of an alcohol use disorder. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 34, 404-414.

Nixon, K., Kim, D.H., Potts, E.N., He, J. & Crews, F.T. (2008). Distinct cell proliferation events during abstinence after alcohol dependence: microglia proliferation precedes neurogenesis. Neurobiology of Disease 31, 218-229.

Nixon, K. (2006). Alcohol and adult neurogenesis: Roles in neurodegeneration and recovery from chronic alcoholism. Invited review. Hippocampus 16, 287-295.

Nixon, K. & Crews, F.T. (2004). Temporally specific burst in cell proliferation increases hippocampal neurogenesis in protracted abstinence from alcohol. The Journal of Neuroscience 24, 9714-9722.

Nixon, K. & Crews, F.T. (2002). Binge alcohol exposure decreases neurogenesis in adult rat hippocampus. Journal of Neurochemistry 83, 1087-1093.

16. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I enjoy smoking whilst watching TV, getting drunk as hell eating chicken wings and burgers and then sleeping with loose women of ill repute. Average day around here. :D

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Quality > Quantity

:D

18. ANTHRACITE2013

Jan 27, 2013
    I cut back on red meat consumption when I learned that red meat contains more dioxin contamination than any other food ( Dioxins & Furans: The Most Toxic Chemicals Known to Science) - so if you want to cut back on your exposure to a known carcinogen and endocrine disrupter it's a good way to go.

19. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m