5 speed on e-bay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

5 speed on e-bay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Oct 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If he had made a final bid of $28,000.01 with seconds to go (I never bid an even dollar) he would have won and beat you by a penny. Without your early proxy bid for $28K, the final price would be the same as he got it for.

I had this happen once to me, a penny!

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Bruce

As you know, the day before the auction ended I spent a couple of hours looking at the car and documents and Peter didn't even tell me it was on eBay. I'll never let you forget it, either!

Aidan

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You still don't get it. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough due to my lack of vocabulary.
    You're making the assumption I would have been willing to pay $28,000.02 for the item.
    If you always bid the max you're willing to pay then it doesn't matter if you get beat by a penny or by 10 grand. You were NOT willing to pay one penny more for the item.

See here is the conversation;
    "Oh man I can't believe I got beat by $1."
    "Would you have paid $1 and 1 penny more?"
    "A buck? Sure."
    "Then you should have bid it to begin with. You would only have to pay it if someone were willing to pay the same amount and bid up to your max amount."

So you bid the max and walk away. If you don't win it who cares? You were NOT willing to spend that much on it and some other person was willing to part with more dollars than you were.

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    that would sum it all up dave!!!!!!!!!!! bid what you want to pay for the car period..when a car is at 16k with a
    minute left i still put 28k in..then the snipers try to put 17,18 19,20, etc,,and lose the car because they dont have enought time left..alot of people lose a great deal because of this...like in my case when someone tried to offer the owner of my 400i 2k more than i purchased it for because he forgot when the auction ended!!

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Looks like we have a "failure to communicate".

By putting the "big number" out there early (even though it's "a secret") you indicate that you are interested in the item and others will throw bids at it trying to get past you, probably for more than they might have if they were the only one bidding. You might still prevail but will likely pay more than you could have.

It's not about how much you think it's worth, it's how cheap can you get it.

If you make your $28K bid at the last second, you get it for the cheapest price possible (unless someone else snipes higher than you).

It makes no sense to fan the hysteria by bidding early! If you don't believe me go watch a Barrett-Jackson rerun.

6. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    2NA makes a good point. There is enough people who make a game or competion out of bidding rather than just a market, so really all need to play their game to get a good price are just pay.

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #32 blkprlz, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Exactly Tim! By the way, auction was on sun. nite back in Feb. 2006. And yes, I am very happy with my heap. I had regrets 1 sec. after I submitted my final bid that my cap was too low (in the event that someone else's max bid was higher), but that fortunately didn't happen. Its mileage is not as low as say.....DAVE's but I am very fond of the color & condition.
    Ebay encourages that you place a max bid along with your bid, this will automatically cover you during the last sniping seconds of the auction, so long as your max bid is higher than everyone else's. At the end of the auction I realized I made 2 mistakes, placing a bid in the 1st place (alerting everyone on the planet that someone else is interested) and, 2nd, to make sure that I put as high a maximum as I am willing to pay and put that bid in w/4 sec. left (as I did) so that all those who did not place max. bid amts. (which, by the way, remains behind the scene) wouldn't have enough time to rebid. What I learned on my first auction experience on Ebay was Huge.
    Peter was amazed how I got in there at the last second and told me that there is a program or site @ snipe.com ( if I can remember correctly) that will do this for you, but I think I have it down.......problem is I haven't bid on anything since to confirm my technique.
    PS--A lot of times in a venue like the Internet if messages aren't clear/concise/proper diction, etc., things can easily get misunderstood. Writing is so important!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aidan

You were that interested? Amazing! A Connecticut car that could have remained in-state. Fate, I guess. Would you have repainted it Nero (FER 1240) or Nero Met. (FER 901/C) at some point?

Bruce

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sniping is a little risky, sometimes you lose! So what, another deal will usually come along. I've had my keyboard lock-up at the wrong time. Damn did that make me mad but it's just part of the game (and it IS a game).

My best buy is hanging on the wall in my office. A Pebble Beach poster that I had looked for for years (out of print for 20 years). I saw it for sale FRAMED, opening bid $.99 No Reserve. One person quickly bid the $.99 and I thought I would stroke out waiting till the end to bid what I thought it was worth (easily $200). In the end it was just us two that wanted it and I got it for $1.99 + the $25 it cost to ship. Nobody ever knew (until now) how much I would have paid, and if I'd bid early almost certainly it would have cost me quite a bit more.

10. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    No, I would have left it marrone. Anyway, I'm very happy with my car and it was great doing the roadtrip back from Houston in it.

Aidan

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    1. cool!
    2. I bet!! Weather good all the way? Any flat-out haulin'?

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bruce,

So what are your plans for the silver car? Are you going to bring it back, if so, who will do the work?

Regards,

Art S.

14. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    i totaly agree with you...im just saying i put my max bid in with a minute to go, not just a bid a few dollars above the auction price.. i would never put a bid in early...

15. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Art,

No plans here; I wonder if Mitchell still has interest in it? Auction ends Sunday, I'm sure he'll post if he grabs it.

Bruce

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    So,

Who bought the silver, smoking, Collorado car?

Regards,

Art S.