5.2 Motronic 550 dyno tuning? | FerrariChat

5.2 Motronic 550 dyno tuning?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by niftyfivefifty, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Hi everyone, I am planning an exhaust for my 2001 550 including equal length headers, catless downpipes, and open midpipes. I’ve read a few things here and there about how an ECU tune will open up substantial power with a free flowing exhaust, but most of those posts are from quite some time ago. Is anyone aware of any business or individual who specializes in tuning 5.2 Motronic ECUs today? Thanks!

F456M likes this.
  2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Good and interesting idea. Might be some power to pick up? It should be plenty who can tune the 5.2 as it is in a lot of cars. I just as myself if it is really neccesary to change a tuning that Ferrari made...? These is a small buffer which is there in case you get bad fuel in your car. Not sure how that works when the engine will be optimized with a good grade of fuel? Make sure you post on here of what you do and the results. Are you going to make your own headers? What benefit will it have?

308 GTB likes this.
  3. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Yeah buggering with a 19 year old Ferrari might be risky. Id say the only way to really do it would be to install the mods and get a company that will tune it on a rolling road, monitoring AFRs and timing while keeping a buffer as mentioned for variations in fuel quality. Last thing you want is to grenade your engine. Also you'de probably want to ensure your injectors are sent away for optimization. At 19 they could be leaking or have a poor spray pattern due to varnish build up on the tips

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The injectors should be cleaned and resealed (Viton) regularly to keep our V12s running well.

308 GTB likes this.
  5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You'll get some extra HP and torque with the exhaust modifications you're planning. The 550 has plenty of both to begin with. But I'd stay away from any tuning which is basically adjusting timing and air/fuel mixture with dyno runs.

Take your car out on a superspeedway where you can really explore its limits without worrying about getting caught speeding on a highway and losing your license, having your car impounded, or worse. Then reassess the need for for any ECU tuning.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I wish it was easier to tune them. After installing Fabio's full exhaust it would be nice to tune it to run with as much power possible to get the most out of the modifications.