488GTB 2018 Leak, Horrible Experience | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488GTB 2018 Leak, Horrible Experience

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by udishamir, Jul 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    If FoSV has offered to unwind the sale, it seems they are attempting to make you whole on your complaint about the pre-sale inspection. Assuming you can also get back the cost of the extended warranty and taxes, my suggestion would be to accept the offer, even if its just a seep that doesn't require a major repair.

My reasoning: as others have pointed out, hiccups are sometimes part of the Ferrari ownership experience (both the cars and the dealership/factory relationship). This is partially due to the relatively low volume of units produced and cultural differences dealing with the Italians. There are known weak spots with the cars that will develop as time progresses, and there may be unanticipated repairs required that are delayed in response because of low inventory of spares in America and time zone/cultural differences if diagnostics with the factory are required. You are undoubtedly a very busy person and based on the tone of your postings do not seem to have patience for the inevitable imperfections and idiosyncrasies that Ferrari ownership entails. My philosophy is that life is too short for unnecessary aggravation caused by a discretionary luxury item. If the experience associated with the item does not give you pleasure, move on to something that does. Plus the longer you hold the car, the more depreciation you will likely pay.

FWIW I have almost 20K miles on my 2014 458 Spider I purchased new from FoSV, and have only needed to have service for routine annual maintenance and replacement of consumables. I purchased the 2 year extended warranty but never needed it. I hope I haven't jinxed myself! ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

BLUESL likes this.
  2. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Well said and appreciate your response, I think you’ve spot on.

3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Yes, in USA, it's $5,000, plus state tax.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    For 2 years ? Whats your state tax as the figure i quoted was the full price including out GST 10%

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

So its actually dearer in the states.

6. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    I had a similar experience on my 488 on 2017. On PDI they found oil leakage given some irregularities in the pan gasket. (U can check my other posts). It was my first ferrari and I questioned whether to keep the car or leave it to the dealership. Best advice i got was to chill, let it be and let them do their repairs. 4 years later, best decision in my life. Had a blast driving the 488, perfect condition all the way thru.. i am now on my third ferrari.
    so yea you have the right to be upset but it’s these imperfections that make the horse a beauty.

7. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Thanks for replaying. Ferrari Silicon Valley stepped up abs bought it back. I have upgraded to my dream 812.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mdrums likes this.
  8. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    That's first class customer service from FoSV. I had a 488 until recently which I loved but like you I upgraded to my No1 dream car, the 812SF... No regrets whatsoever so I think you came out of this smelling of roses.

udishamir likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Great choice! Not the best in our Cali canyon road but great car, hope u had a pre-gpf model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Hey, pre GPF.

It’s my dream car, I never drove anything close to the 812 SF. Just told a buddy yesterday it feels like two different companies built the 812 SF separate it from the rest.

EPIC

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It’s a great car! Just not a Canyon carver car.
    It is much more advanced than ur 488!!
    Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Its a late 2018 build car which means no GPF.

13. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Forgot to mention that i also own a 991.2GT3 RS WP for track use which complements my 812 well. The 812 is an awesome machine and the best i've ever owned.

14. shamus01

shamus01 Rookie

Apr 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Shamus
    Did they ever tell you what was causing the leak and what needed to be repaired?