488GTB 2018 Leak, Horrible Experience | FerrariChat

488GTB 2018 Leak, Horrible Experience

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by udishamir, Jul 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Just got my 488GTB 2018 from a Ferrari dealership in Silicon Valley less than month ago.

The car has only 6500 miles, another few months of factory warranty. Additionally I’ve purchased additionally 2 years of warranty. Long story short, went to Ferrari dealership bear my home town (different dealership) to install front diffuser protection and the dealership found a leak which seems to be from the gear (my apologies I don’t know Ferrari, I’m avid Porsche owner so it’s new to me).

How Ferrari from Silicon Valley certified the car with this leak ? It was less than a month ago. I almost didn’t drive the car at all nor hit anything.

this is outrageous.

attached are the pictures with the leaks. The Ferrari technician saying that the yellow stains are the leaks after they applied the “tracing” foams and went for short drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Now they are waiting for Ferrari to approve the part replacement , joke. Anyway going to sell it after it’s being repaired, the warranty is transferable.

3. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Sorry about this, but I think you are a little sensitive as the car is used and it still has the factory warranty. Nothing is perfect. Maybe take a few deep breaths and let the repair take place and drive the car for a little bit. You may get over it and truly enjoy the car. Ferrari is a special car.

4. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Sure I’m sensitive, when paying top dollar's for extended warranty to an official Ferrari dealership which clearly have no idea what they are doing ignoring the low quality in question ( giving statistics a margin here ).

ferrari looks special I agree but so far it’s really a bad start.

Napoli and MANDALAY like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    So, you’re a “Porsche guy,” create an account on FChat to post 3x to blast Ferrari of SV because there is a leak covered under warranty.

Yawn.

6. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Yea I’m Porsche guy and now also Ferrari owner.

yawn ^ 2

Napoli likes this.
  7. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Appears to be a bad seal if it’s leaking from second pic fitting. I had a leak from the combined oil/coolant pump at 5000 miles on my Scud. I know the feeling but in your case it should be covered under the extended warranty.

8. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Thanks, really appreciate your respond.
    Good to know.

cheers

9. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would also recommending relaxing

jferrante, Mor, releod and 2 others like this.
  10. jcoles

jcoles Rookie

Aug 22, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jeff Coles
    I've owned eight Porsches in my past. They have issues too. I must say I've never owned a Ferrari yet!!

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I have a 2018 and the aluminium on my engine looks absolutely brand new. 4200 miles.

How many owners has this car had ? Does it come from a state that salt their roads ?

Napoli likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I concur with the suggestion that you take a deep breath and think about it.

First off, this is by no means a common issue for the 488, and not indicative of a lack of quality.

Secondly you might be looking at a small issue caused by the fact that the car has been sitting. It's a low mileage 2018 car, and the mileage has more than likely been put on earlier in the cars life.

Calm down and get it fixed under warranty. If you can't live with the fact that your Italian exotic might be a touch more moody than a Porsche, well then exotic car ownership is probably not for you, and you should stick to something a bit more ordinary and reliable.

With a Ferrari it's like dating a high maintenance girl. It's annoying and frustrating at times, and she's probably a bit unpredictable. But when she's on and happy, there's nothing like it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mar76, Mikael-F360, BLUESL and 10 others like this.
  13. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    The car did 6700 miles, it was from sunny dry and non salty place.
    I’m not sure it was “garage queen”. Relative for Ferrari it did quite a lot of mileages, 2250 miles per year it’s descent no ?

I totally agree that it’s cannot be indicative since it’s only one data point, what shocked me that it was just “certified” by Ferrari dealership.

14. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I doubt on a “certified” car they take the belly pans off…..probably review maintenance records,conduct a walk around, take it for a ride,and call it a day. I would ask them if they changed the oil. You can request a modis report from the dealer to review all past and present info on the car( provided it was service by Ferrari dealer).

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I hear you. I didn’t have a great experience myself with them. I have been going a couple times now to Ferrari of SF in Marin and my experience was great.
    Don’t give up on the car for a leak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomhauer and udishamir like this.
  16. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Seems to me that both arguments are very valid:

On one hand you're right in asking for top quality service since you paid top dollar. I would as well and we need to demand top service. But I also agree on taking a breath and actually appreciate that you're not in deep ****, but can be easily fixed. Look at the big picture if you will. Soon you'll be loving it and you'll be glad to be part of the Ferrari world (including this chat)

17. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    SA from Ferrari SF called and promised to provide fix Timeline by Monday / Tuesday. If you are from the area will be nice to catch up.

and yes I defiantly wouldn’t advise anyone to get their car PPI or service in the dealership iv’e purchased my 488 from.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

FWIW, neither of the photo's you shared demonstrate a LEAK, both photos clearly show there is fluid SEAP.
    Can both descriptions be correct, yes. But leaking implies fluid actively dripping from the sealing area to the ground ( or body panel )

I get it, you are new to the Ferrari family and have expectations of the brand and Ferrari experience.

Get upset if you want to, it seams like the repairs are going to be addressed under warranty for you ( that's what warranty is for after all )

What I may suggest is to confirm that since your Ferrari is still under factory warranty, that you make sure you have 2 years of Warranty Extension vs New Power Warranty if not, I would humbly suggest you see if it is still an option. ( If you want to send me the last 6 of your VIN I can look it up )

I can also share my experience is that more TTv8 engines are seeping / leaking than are not. Head Gaskets, Valve Cover Gaskets, and front cover seals.. it's pretty common, so I suggest to anyone that may be concerned, specially request that the engine be inspected for any and all fluid leaks BEFORE it goes out of the 3 year initial warranty period, and beyond that get the warranty extension to cover what may come up in years 4&5 ...
    New Power Warranty should cover head gaskets only if they were to leak ( not seep )

Welcome to the family, I hope you stay.

FWIW

S

19. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Thanks , the Ferrari dealership in SF claims it was a leak , they said that they cleaned it up and put tracing powder went for short drive and it leaked, have no evidence for the truth of it, here are my last 6 digits of my vin: My 488 vin 236819
    Thanks for the help

I’m defiantly want to stay in the family

SAFE4NOW and Cigarzman like this.
  20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Udi , last I checked if it can be fixed under warranty it ain’t broke. It’s just an inconvenience. Make yourself a gratitude list and realize how fortunate you / me /we are to own a Ferrari. It’s all about perspective bro . Best , Kirk.

21. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Maybe another example of buy cars that have been driven, not sat? High miles are one thing, but low miles can be even worse.

Ash Patel likes this.
  22. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    Sorry to hear this- is this leak / seepage something that would be noticed with a cursory inspection of the underside of the 488 while up on a rack? Or does it require removal of panels, etc?

As a fellow long term Porsche enthusiast, I’ve also owned several models which have had well publicized issues 996 RMS / IMS, Cayenne cardan shaft, 991.1 GT3 engine replacements, and so on- clearly Porsche is not immune to seal leaks, etc.

Did you say your 488 is a “certified” car? Is the certification process / inspection as thorough as a PPI?

23. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir

——
    I have bought the car from Ferrari Silicon Valley, I paid for an extended warranty. As part of their “certification” they haven’t noticed any leak. The leak was discovered by Ferrari San Francisco (different dealership) when I went to install front diffuser scratch protection. I own the car for less than 3 weeks and didn’t have the chance to put miles on it.
    ——-
    That’s why I’m very surprised it wasn’t discovered during the “certification” process. And was discovered by routine checkup.

regarding Porsche, I’ve owned 3 GT3 one of them was 2015 and it suffered the finger follower issue. Which was fixed by Porsche, also owned 2 turbo machines one of them turbo s and currently which is a keeper I’m driving the GT3 touring.

ive tracked all my GT3 and kept them for years and did put miles on each and never had any issues wHats so ever.
    The 911 especially the GT and the Turbo are vEry very reliable.

I wanted Ferrari not because it drives better it is because of its aesthetic and beauty. I owned Ferrari Roma for short time thaT have electrical issues.

in short I’m extremely dissatisfied with the dealership I’ve purchased my 488GTB from since their inspection was probably sub par.

24. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    hey,
    it is broken , that is an empirical fact. Another empirical fact that it is right now on the lift in a Ferrari dealership that cannot even fix it until the Italian will give green light (that’s inefficient , why do you have dealerships for if you can’t trust them ?)

I believe they will manage to fix it, my frustration is with the fact that I’ve purchased defective car due to Ferrari dealership incompetence, hey here is my answer to my question why Ferrari need to approve even small leaks before repairs, maybe they can’t trust their dealerships who knows.

One thing is for sure , they are defiantly not efficient and from my perspective I’m very frustrated.

25. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Some development is that the dealership I’ve bought the car from are now offering me to buy different Ferrari. They won’t unwind the deal. I’ll be waiting for the diagnostic first

Easy solution for them, paying less and sell high, that’s economy but the situation is to say the least rotten.