488 transmission question | FerrariChat

488 transmission question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Fergman1, Jul 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fergman1

Fergman1 Rookie

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Ferguson
    Hi All,

I just got my 488 back from its annual maintenance (at a Ferrari dealer) and had a second key coded for the car while it was there. No issues when I left the dealership. However, two days later, I drove the car to a car show, and backed into my assigned spot. I parked, turned the car off and when I turned it back on, it would not go into gear, neither via the paddle shifters nor the reverse button.

I turned the car off and on a couple more times with the same result. There was no problem starting (brand new battery less than a month old in the car), so I don't think this is a battery issue. After letting the car sit for about 15 minutes, I went back and tried again and it did go into gear, however, now with a general warning signal on the dash (yellow triangle with an exclamation in the middle). I drove the car home, turned it off, and back on and the signal was cleared and no drivability issues.

I don't think this is anything more than a little onboard computer confusion that eventually sorted itself out but curious if anyone has experienced a similar issue. Fortunately I wasn't needing to get anywhere in a hurry, but being potentially stranded was a little unnerving. The dealer didn't have any particular thoughts and just said bring it back in to diagnose it/when it recurs.

Thanks for any feedback/troubleshooting tips

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    New battery does not preclude low or flat battery if there was minimal driving and/or no charging in the month from fitting

3. Fergman1

Fergman1 Rookie

May 13, 2021
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Ferguson
    I started the car multiple times (5-6) during this period with no issues (nor warning indicators). The car was just in the Ferrari dealer 3 days before this issue and I had driven every day before this event. And the car remains on a trickle charger at all times when garaged. So no, I am pretty solid battery is not the culprit, thus the reason I was asking if anyone had experienced this.

I die suspect the recent coding of the second key may have have been a potential but no way to know for sure