488 Spider vs F8 Spider - hmm | FerrariChat

488 Spider vs F8 Spider - hmm

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TheBigDot, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a 2019 488 Spider. I have been offered a confirmed allocation by my local dealer of an F8 Spider. I am trying to decide if its worth making this jump or waiting until the successor to the F8 is released. I assume the successor will be hybrid and will probably incorporate some of the updated interior elements seen in the Roma. I am not keen on the Roma interior at all, and not sure I want to go hybrid route with Ferrari (I already have a Taycan Turbo S as it is which is a great car but lacks some passion). Just the same, I have been a bit disappointed in the jump going from my 458 to the 488 given the slight turbo lag I experience in the 488.

Curious others thoughts?

2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I haven’t driven a 488, just the F8 Spider for which I also have an allocation. IMO, the turbo lag is not bad in the F8. It’s there, but it didn’t detract from the ride quality. I don’t know how it compares to the 488, but lots of folks here can opine.

Why don’t you ask the dealer for a demo ride and decide for yourself? If passion and raw feel are more important maybe you need to be looking backwards, e.g. a 458. I have the 458 spider also and am keeping it.

Whipcity76 and Chizz like this.
  3. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am driving the car tomorrow AM :)

Chizz, Cigarzman and soulsea like this.
  4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I just moved to the F8 spider from my 2018 488 spider. My thoughts after having the car for about 3 weeks now is I’m glad I did it. I was not sure it would be worth the 100k delta but I really dig the look of the new rig both inside and out. It’s definitely quicker and also quieter. I’m hoping there will be a fix eventually to permanently open the valves. The new interior is definitely an upgrade and to me it seems larger. Go for it. You will be happy. I was. Best , Kirk.

jm2, Chizz and vjd3 like this.
  5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I believe the value proposition on the F8 will also prove to be strong as Ferrari changes up their line and begins offering a V6 with electric assist as the entry mid-engine option and something along the lines of a SF90 for the V8 with assist option. The F8 will likely be the last $300k spider with an eight cylinder you’ll be able to by new. But that aside I agree with Kirk, I had a 488 and the F8 is worth the 100k difference between updates, performance, and aesthetics looking significantly more modern.

Cigarzman and Chizz like this.
  6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Personally the interior and especially the steering wheel is much nicer IMHO, also think the car looks better. YMMV

Cigarzman and GT2goneF like this.
  7. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The 488 is quieter than my prior 458. I hope it’s not that much more quieter! Lol

dustman and Senna1994 like this.
  8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Unfortunately with the GPF it will be, that is one of the criticisms of the F8. Personally, I don't care and sold my 488 to get an F8.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    After almost four years with my 488, I'm ready to move on. I think the 488 is awesome, but the F8 takes it all a bit further. To me as a guy who dailies them, it's worth it. Not only because it's a step forward, but with frequent use, it's just nice to get a new car:)

10. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    FWIW I would listen to the guys on here that had a 488. I had already narrowed down my search to purchase a 488. Then I was able to sit in and inspect a F8. I was really impressed. The F8 is absolutely beautiful. I think it’s lines are better than the 488. So I turned to the guys here on F-Chat to help. Kirk’s input was very helpful to me. Long story short my F-8 arrives in 2 months.
    Quick story. I was passing my dealer today and saw a beautiful black F8 that was just delivered. So I stopped to look at it. I happened to speak with one of the mechanics and he absolutely LOVES the F8. Says he’s been working on Ferraris for years and this is by far his favorite other than the LaFerrari. Looks, engine, speed he says this car has it all. Here is the one I saw today. BELISSIMO!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Never had a 488 went from my 458 spider to the F8 Tributo and have no regrets. It’s better in every way other than the sound, people are working on making that better.

Manda racing, GT2goneF and Chizz like this.
  12. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hell, it's worth 70k just to have the ****ing horn back where it belongs, instead of being 2 tiny indentations in the steering wheel that you can never find when you want or need them.

I hated driving the 458 in parking lots.

Mike

Cigarzman, Ltfor3 and wthensler like this.
  13. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    No ragrets over selling 458?!?!

I kick myself every day for selling mine.

Mike

ChrisDiRe, VAF84, Chizz and 1 other person like this.
  14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Not even a single letter!

RoadRonin likes this.
  15. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I second this thought.

16. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    via 3rd party exhaust system I assume. Crazy Ferrari couldn’t figure it out even with the filter system.

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Have the dealer open the valves permanently as I did for a much nicer deep sound on the 488 .They did mine for no charge. Easy and quick fix. Best , Kirk.

MANDALAY, Chizz and wthensler like this.
  18. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Drove it a bit ago, working on the specs and getting an allocation fir the Fall.

LVP488 and Cigarzman like this.
  19. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    As a 488 owner. I drove the F8 and it was so similar to the 488 it just didn't make sense for me. A 458 to a 488 is a much more profound jump in technology, looks and performance. But that's just my .02....Buy what makes your heart beat faster!!!!

gabf1, Manda racing and MANDALAY like this.
  20. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I actually found the steering to be quite an improvement, very responsive compared to the 488 yet still retained a good feel for the road. I was surprised and was expecting a duller feel. I do agree with you, a jump from the 458 to the 488 is more significant, but for me not in a good way. I guess I miss naturally aspirated engines! But those days are gone, and now I am concerned the F8 may be the last of a V8 Turbo as Ferrari focuses more on hybrid systems.

Cigarzman likes this.
  21. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    :(

22. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Joe - I agree completely with your thesis. But on Saturday I drove an F8 Spider at my dealer and there was enough upgrades to entice me to order one. I do agree that the difference from the 488 to the F8 is not dramatic.

I have really enjoyed my 488 Spider, it is awesome. Someone else will get to enjoy my car soon. Part of the reason for me getting the F8 is that it is probably the final V8 mid engine.

And sometimes you just want a new toy. :)

MANDALAY and Chizz like this.
  23. StevenF8

StevenF8 Karting

Feb 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Are you able to do that on the F8 too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

As of now no , due to the Gpf bs.

25. StevenF8

StevenF8 Karting

Feb 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    That’s what I figured. Still looking at the novitec set up. I have it on my Mclaren and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk