488 Spider or F8 Tributo | Page 4 | FerrariChat

488 Spider or F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Yang Yang, Mar 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Goonthree

Goonthree Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Orlando
    New 488 spider and trade in after a year you be looking at losing $100k. Paid $390k (with tax) for 488 spider and Ferrari trade in offer was $280k. This is 2018 with $367k msrp

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #77 Shadowfax, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Again agree 100%.

I think there is a big difference between ordering a new model/release Ferrari and ordering a new outgoing model particularly when there are countless examples of that outgoing model on the used market at drastically discounted prices. Essentially it comes down to how you present yourself as a buyer to the dealer in light of this circumstance.

Using simple logic "the buyer" is in the box seat - not the dealer who has allocations for that outgoing model to shift and, to satisfy Ferrari in moving that stock accordingly. Of course the dealer can maintain their position of "no discount" to the overly enthusiastic new car buyer - I mean why wouldn't they if the buyer is eager to part with his hard earned!

However in the current situation where they would likely have many allocations to fill and a lack of enthusiastic buyers lining up to pay full ticket, then they would have to work with the sentiment of the new car buyer and make a commercial decision do they want to sell or, face the music with Ferrari for not fulfilling their allocations. And there lays the big unanswered question.....which the buyer is best asking himself before he walks in to express interest.

theplanner likes this.
  3. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    Lol, believe what u will, ignorance is bliss ;) one hv to take everything they read on forums with a grain of salt after all

But I can bet u, many here who hv bought multiple F cars hv had deals but perhaps r just avoiding to be truthful on this topic because their profile is known.

Even deals can be had on the F8 if the dealers want ur business bad enough...but as I indicated, how easy or hard will vary between dealerships, cities, countries, timing when deal is proposed, your profile etc

If u r a business owner, u negotiate on every transaction, only difference buying a car makes is more often than not emotions overtake our good negotiating sense.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Curious, how many miles were on your car when you traded it ? What was the color combo ?

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree about no discounts on a 488 but dealers do have new cars they just dont advertise them.

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thank you for teaching me the art of negotiations. I’m a college dropout and not the sharpest knife in the drawer but , I learn from people’s personal experience ( real data ) and not some hypothetical nonsense. If you have some please pass it on . Best , Kirk.

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I don’t agree.

Bhh likes this.
  8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am assuming based on the $400k price point that he would buy a low mile Speciale which depreciates a lot more for the miles than a 488 would.

Shadowfax and LVP488 like this.
  9. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Karting
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    Is it a good time to order a 488 Spider, the delivery date will be in September. While some people may suggest me to order a used one. But I don’t want buy a used one as my first Ferrari. So should I order the 488 Spider now? Or just keep waiting F8.

pt95 likes this.
  10. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I think you have gotten a lot of answers in your other threads. I think you would be closer to 24 months for an F8 with no prior history. Buy a used 488 Spider and enjoy it. Life is too short to wait to buy your first Ferrari. Go enjoy it now.

11. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    You are again asking the same question as your other posts albeit with different words but likely to get the same responses again.

In my opinion, you really aren't sure what you want, when you want it, or why you want it. It maybe time for some self-reflection to sort things out. Again this is just my opinion.

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Asked and answered. WTF ?

anunakki, sampelligrino and Viperjoe like this.
  13. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

There are at least 488 reasons why a 911 may be a better choice. :)

14. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Yang Yang, you will not get any different answers no matter how many times you ask the same basic question. Your options are simple:

1. Buy a used 488 NOW.
    2. Order a new 488 and maybe get it within 6 months.
    3. Order an F8, and get it when you get it. (Impossible to say how long it will take, there are too many variables, but certainly a longer wait than Option #2.)

Only you can decide which option works best for you.

Keep in mind that all the regular members that post in these threads see ALL posts, you begin to look a little strange if you keep asking the same question that has already been answered in other threads. These are usually the same people answering you again. Not trying to insult you here. The members in this Forum and good people, they love cars in general, but Ferrari in particular. They want to be helpful, they want to be respectful, and most don't mind sharing their opinion, but if you continue to ask the same question in multiple threads, you will eventually be ignored.

Jim

Nuvolari, Hendry2019, tfazio and 7 others like this.
  15. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I totally feel your anxiety spending this kind of money, as I said in the other thread, maybe considering buying a used 458 spider (I don't think they will depreciate that much until you get your hands on a F8) and then trade it in for the F8.

I would not buy a 488 now that the F8 is out, BUT that is my opinion and my taste as design wise the F8 just tickles my senses no car has done for a long while.

So you need to question yourself, is the wait worth it? It might be if you like the F8 as much as I do. But as you have not experienced a Ferrari (I think) before? Why not use a used 458 Spider in the meantime, if you don't drive too many miles you might get most of the money back when trading it for the F8

16. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Why do you not want to have a used 488 as your first Ferrari? Most of them have very low miles and you can use that car to build a relationship with your dealer to order the F8. Without being a prior customer, your wait on the F8 will be a very long time.

Buying a "used" 488 with low miles is done all the time and significantly reduces your depreciation instead of buying a new one.

17. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Cancel your 488 order and buy new F8

18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    First part is sensible, but an F8 spider will probably be almost one year later; that's why an interim used car - from the official Ferrari dealer - would make sense (it would actually have two benefits - allowing the enjoyment during the wait, and improving the relationship with the dealer to shorten the wait on the F8).

boobernackle likes this.
  19. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Agree personally, but for some(perhaps the OP) it seems the enjoyment lies in the anticipation and debate.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  20. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I think this is the 4th thread OP has posted with the same question no?

There’s multiple pages worth of answers to his question already.

So far the pattern has been that OP asks a question, gets tons of helpful answers, ignores everything said, then asks the question again.

GT 40 SA, sampelligrino and MANDALAY like this.
  21. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Kirk, you are spot on as your opinion is one that is based on Ferrari ownership and not some I have an opinion highly and it is theoretical as I don’t own a Ferrari but I am a car guy.

Viperjoe and Cigarzman like this.
  22. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Wayne , I’m always willing to learn things as I’ve been a business owner for 38 years . I learn new things everyday, I’m open minded and not one of those people who have the answer to everything. That said ,I do learn from people’s personal experience all the time. Not so much from would have , could have , should have yada-yada. Give me the real deal not some BS. Best ,Kirk.

Viperjoe and Avia11 like this.
  23. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Its time to stop giving advice.
    Unless he discloses his bank account.
    :D

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Karting
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    I prepared 400K, for now I have half in my bank account. The rest will be there before May. If you want to see it, I can show you now.

25. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Karting
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    While the reason is I can not pay the total amount now, if I choose to order a new one, I only need to pay 50K first, and then pay the rest when it is delivered. I have to wait 1 to 2 months for the money. And another reason is that I check all the 488 Spider on the official website of Ferrari and Cars.com, seems the Secondhand (in 2018) and brand new differ only about 30K, so I would rather pay that 30K to get a new one.