488 Service - Turbo Failure, anyone else? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Service - Turbo Failure, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RRL, Nov 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #51 Albert-LP, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    AlfistaPortoghese and tomc like this.
  2. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Wow, that is a catastrophic failure. No way blades disintegrating has anything to do with how the customer drives the car. Any assertion to that end by dealers or the manufacturer is nonsense. If debris gets ingested through the intake or exhaust into the cylinder they you risk losing the engine.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Albert-LP likes this.
  4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Have there been any reports of Passenger side turbo failures. Sounds like they are all on the same side. Manufacture issue for that side casting? Or something else on that side of the car?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Why only the left. Would love an answer for this one..

6. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Do they both spool in the same direction or is one CW and the other CCW?

7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've sucked/shot all kinds of crap in my turbos and none have broken apart like the one posted above. Rocks, hardened seals etc etc. They'd get chewed up a little, but never broken like that.

8. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Speaking of driver side 488 turbos, I had a 488 in for work not too long ago. Driver side turbo had some oil leakage already at 10k miles. And by looks of it, it wasn’t a leak that just started.

9. Ruperto

Ruperto Rookie

Mar 28, 2012
    Manila
    Full Name:
    Ruperto
    Hi,
    A little late to the party but i can tell you from experience that these do happen. I just had a pista 488 come in the shop with barely 2000 kms on it and the Rh passenger side turbo was kaput. Never particularly driven hard . The exhaust side /impeller of the compressor was dancing up and down side to side, surprised everything is dry no oil . Noticed the car was limping i isolated the wastegate and activated it and i hear some rattling initially suspected it was the door but to my surprise using a borescope saw the impeller about to fall off.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Is this a supplier issue or a car issue. Seems there has been almost zero found for an actual source of the problem.

11. 4llan

4llan Rookie

Apr 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Allan Yañez Salzmann
    Hi everybody.
    how are you?
    I am new to Ferrari, I got to 488GTB 2016 and it only has 11k miles. A few days ago when trying to overtake another vehicle, the message reduced performance appeared.
    A friend used his scan tool and only threw a code P02CB (Turbocharger B underboost condition) someone who knows what it is?
    would a turbo have died?

12. Natalicious

Natalicious Rookie

Aug 2, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Natalie
    Two 488's had failed turbos this past week at the shop (one Pista with less than 7000 miles, and another with less than 2500 miles). They are occurring more often now and seem to be a trend in the 488s. Until Ferrari addresses this NOE/supply chain issue, I'd hold off on purchasing one. I'm regretting selling my F430 now :(

13. figgie

figgie Rookie

Aug 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    W Figgie
    speaking of turbos in general, if the oil supply pressure is to high, that is no better than it being to low. It has to be "correct".

I find interesting that turbine blade damage posted earlier.

That looks like a cast wheel and not a machined wheel. I have seen turbos that got the turbine wheels destroyed due to anti-lag settings not looking like what was posted. We are talking EGT in the +900c region for this to take place and this turbo is capable of 1200hp.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 4llan

4llan Rookie

Apr 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Allan Yañez Salzmann
    unfortunately for the 488. It is a common problem, for which there is no guarantee. here one with 10,000 miles. Bye bye left turbo

15. AlexxNac

AlexxNac Rookie

Jun 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    alex nacorda
    2018 Ferrari 488 Spyder. Engine light and loss of boost. At dealer wish my luck. 13k miles 2nd owner

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The oil pressure has to be enough to supply the unit, but the rotating shaft makes its own oil wedge to keep the shaft clear of the bearing. Too much oil will flood the internals and it will try to escape along the shaft- it then carbonises on the shaft and prevents the shaft from floating between the thrust faces- you then get a vibration from the blower when you increase or reduce power as the shaft cannot float axially. Once you get to this point it will fail very quickly.
    Also not giving the blower time to cool down after running hard will carbon up the shaft and again restrict its axial movement.

17. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting thread… I’ve owned three turbo cars in my lifetime without any issues. One had 468,000 miles on it when it was totalled by another driver, the second had 165,000 on it when sold and the third one has just 20k on it and we still own it.

All three are Mercedes Benz cars, first two were turbo diesels, the third (one of our current daily drivers) is a twin turbo gas S560 4Matic SonderKlasse Benz. No problems ever with them and never had any of my friends in the MB club with turbo failures in the 35 years I was in the club.

Seems like there is more to this story and hopefully additional details are revealed on this problem.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You must have horseshoes were the sun don't shine... I have replaced more turbos on Benz products then anything else..most on the diesel ML/GL series. Use to keep 2 on the shelf at all times..

19. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Humm, perhaps I was lucky but we’ve never had a turbo problem, or repair on any of our turbo equipped Benzes.

Cheers!

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not even the dreaded oil cooler repair? Which became a class action lawsuit? SRC problems? DPF failures..etc I find your statement extremly hard to believe..the entire v6 Benz diesel line up has been a complete disaster..so much so even the court system agreed.

Benz now has to cover every emissions related component on all diesel Benz products for the next 10 years..

21. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I am super worried that I have this issue. I have a hollow rattling sound, with a slight sound of loose ball bearings, only at low rpm's and only in first gear. It does not seem to increases with acceleration.

It used to be very intermittent which made it hard for the dealer to diagnose. Its more frequent now. Its not the exhaust because same sound whether valves are open or closed (I have a remote valve controller)

After the car warms up and driven for a while, the sound seems to go away.

22. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just to clarify, I have never owned a V6 Mercedes-Benz diesel...

I owned two Mercedes-Benz diesels (both were inline 5 cylinder models) back when I still had hair, a (1983) W126 300SD-TD and a (1985) W123 300D-TD. They were extremely reliable and beloved cars and we never had any problems with their turbos…

I have not owned any MB diesels for at least 25 years, we switched to MB V8 equipped SonderKlasse gasoline models exclusively for the last 25+ years. Our current MB is a S560 4Matic twin turbo that only has 20k miles on it, but there have been no problems with its twin turbos either.

Your mileage may vary… We have owned various Mercedes-Benz cars for 35 years. Other than the W123, they have all been SonderKlasse variants. Whilst the brand is not perfect, we remain loyal buyers of SonderKlasse models.

Cheers!

23. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    pista just went down with a blown drivers side turbo, 3k miles, only pushed when warm and even then never pushed that hard. have the extended warranty so not worried but very annoyed. have no faith in how the sf90 will age. might be time to just let it all go and find a speciale