488 Replacement | Page 99 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    I agree with you that on public roads we are approaching very rapidly the point of diminishing returns in terms of power and performance.
    But the market demands ever more incremental power and acceleration.

As Burns on The Simpson’s said,
    “I love having billions of dollars but I would trade it all ... for just a little bit more.”

Personally my feeling is that once a car is sub 3 seconds to 60 it is literally pointless to have something faster. For one thing ... because isn’t that performance exhilarating enough? and secondly ... yes ... experiencing less and less time accelerating before you have to hit the breaks is actually less and less fun! There does come a point where the whole thing is over with far too quickly and I think we are approaching that for F road cars.

I wish Ferrari and other makers would focus way more R & D research and engineering efforts into developing a quantum leap suspension system that anticipates and more comfortably deals with rough road surfaces and bumps and potholes. The current adaptive dampers DO make a difference but they aren’t cutting it when you hit a really rough road or pothole. Not even close. Drivers would use their cars a lot more if car sports car makers used AI and hidden sensors and cameras to TRULY dampen major hits to today’s giant rims and low profile tires. I would GIVE BACK 60 bhp for that capability!

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    How can we be surprised by something Ferrari has already said about the car? Did you read this thread from the beginning? There is definitive proof to back up what I'm telling you. In official Ferrari documents as presented in their multi year plan. Ferrari is not going to lie to their shareholders for reasons that should be obvious. You are just muddying up the water with your inaccurate opinion. We will not be surprised on this.

3. Roland1688

Roland1688 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    Taipei
    Full Name:
    Roland

Totally agree with you but I am afraid that we are the minority.

day355 and Doug23 like this.
  4. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    The intelligence I have gathered ... including from this site by sources that should be respected on here ... say otherwise. They say there is an 812 ‘TDF’ coming. In 2020. And let’s keep in mind ... Ferrari execs have very recently stated their goal is to DOUBLE profits within 3 years.
    So let’s do that math ... 799 pieces at say even $799,000 dollars each.
    That’s $650-million in incremental sales and easily $200-million in increased profits over its two year production run. Because that is the last unassisted NA V-12 or one of the very last outside of Icona models.
    The replacement for the 812 platform will be hybrid V-12.
    What is it worth as a Ferrari customer to be able to say you own the last of, and the ultimate version of, the legendary Ferrari naturally aspirated V-12. So yeah they will sell all of them in seconds. They’re making that money. They’re making that car.

Maxou likes this.
  5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well...As a fan of bare aluminum I of course am a fan of the Aluminum Lucido. I saw a sample at Atelier in Maranello when speccing my Pista Spider and opted to use it as part of my stripe on Rosso TRS. It is an over the top metallic silver. Lots of sparkle and luster. Nothing like bare aluminum at all but still amazing.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looking great with all the new models arriving, exciting even .

Only small problem is the widely expected upcoming 'recession' likely within the next 1-3 years...that will cool down any 'frenzy' for sure.

This should cut down the waiting lists,dealer games,flipping etc etc even the average car guy might finally be able to pick up a good pre owned Ferrari of his choice without too much worrying,and the slightly more well off folks to just walk in and order a brand new one.

I plan to add a Scud one of these days,or even a Speciale if they should eventually come within my budget although this is just wishful thinking for now.

gto85 likes this.
  7. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    Ferrari just re scheduled the worldwide launch:

-Monday 25th Feb: Teaser pic

-Tuesday 26th Feb: Teaser video

-Thursday 28th Feb: Reveal images and press release

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    ferr9000 thank you for sharing so many details here!

sampelligrino likes this.
  9. polishhammer83

polishhammer83 Karting

Sep 30, 2012
    It's interesting that almost nothing has been seen of the car other than test mules with little to no new bodywork. Not even any press renders either, unless I missed something a while ago. It is fun going into this with a completely open mind and no expectations for what kind of changes they made.

Sent from my Umidigi One Max using Tapatalk

Doug23 likes this.
  10. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    ferr9000 you are the best! Many thanks!

sampelligrino likes this.
  11. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Yeah seriously ... I gotta say this much ...Ferrari got their ***t on lock-down now a days!
    Props to them but more agonizing for us to have to wait it out without so much as a glimpse or fuzzy screen shot beforehand! I don't know how they are accomplishing that, its impressive.

polishhammer83 likes this.
  12. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Well said. I personally think you have the future line up closer to right than not. I have a 458 since new, I was not in love with the 488. Not sure I want to wait three more years from today to have an affordable, to me, new rear engine F car. So me dealership knows I’m interest in the FL, but it is going to have to be a step up from the 488GTB for me to commit.

ferr9000 likes this.
  13. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    And that Why so many Tesla owners believes they have the greatest sports car on the planet.

14. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    I'm with you. I could never quite warm up to the 488 vs. the 458. While its performance was a quantitative leap forward, to me it was overall a qualitative step backward ... in exterior design, interior design and of course aurally. The Pista however is a visual knockout from an exterior styling perspective. Imagine a Pista but with 4 round tail lights and horizontal headlights and a slightly more subtle S-duct type front end plus a more elegantly styled upper side air intake and that gives you a good idea of what we expect for the F142M-FL. And at last we should get a fairly significantly revised interior similar to the difference between an F12 and 812 SF interior. I'm sure there will also be some incremental technological advances in terms of vehicle dynamics. The 458/488 platform is arguably the most successful in Ferrari's history and despite its genesis being quite some time ago it is still relevant today. Such was the quantum leap and magnitude of this car. It basically spurred Maclaren's entry into making road cars. It defined a market. I believe that Ferrari will have put serious effort into this car as a fitting tribute to such a significant platform and its legions of fans. I believe this is actually going to be a very stylish and highly desirable car that will enjoy higher than anticipated demand. I'm deeply looking forward to the reveal next week. Best

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  15. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Thanks for update

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Holy moly. Where did you come from? And where have you been?

F2003-GA likes this.
  17. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Amen brother. Ferrari has not had a quote unquote "direct" competitor to the Huracan by cylinder count for a period of ... let me check ... oh yeah ... ever. They're really hurting because of that aren't they lol. Oh and as for Maclaren ... it's interesting how they keep getting these great reviews in Evo and posting good performance stats and yet ... many dealers are offering deep discounts and low monthly payment deals like you would see on a Honda for basically every car in their line-up, including the 'Take that, Ferrari!' 720S. My friends ... Ferrari road cars are going from strength to strength and they are about to blow this baseball game wide open.
    Forza Ferrari

18. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had a 458 and really love it. When 488 came out I did not buy it cause it was too similar to 458.
    I had a couple of Lambos and then bought a 488 spider (first spider in my life).
    I really love this 488 and I will buy the new one only if something really changes.
    Interiors are far too old now they must change them even if it is a restyling. Look what Lambo di with Huracan Evo.
    Same engine is ok for me, it is a great one. I'd would love a better sound and nice looking outside.
    That's it. But if interiors will be the same I'll skip this one cause 10 yrs interiors are not acceptable anymore.

19. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    My friend you are going to get a new interior on the F142M-FL. Hallelujah. Look at images of the dashboard of the 812 SF versus the F12. It's going to be that magnitude of a difference.
    This is going to be one hot looking car let me tell you. Look at pics of the J50 and the SP38. They had me at quad tail lights.

20. Forza Scuderia

Jan 13, 2015
    Oh I'm doing better than more right than not. I'm going to be eighty percent plus on the big points in my post. The only cars I could be missing are a hybrid front engine car since there was a front engine silent running mule testing around Maranello recently OR longshot of longshots a regular production mid engine twelve cylinder which has been lightly speculated on.
    But I haven't found any reliable intelligence at all to confirm that such a car is coming unfortunately and believe me ... I want to.

21. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    If so I will pre-order it ;)

22. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Delusional!!! ;-)

JimEakin and F2003-GA like this.
  23. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Would you make an exception if the next Icona is a modern F40? I am not as dogmatic on V12 vs V8; I have owned both, I respect and enjoy the 246 Dino despite the humble V6 and of course I agree 100% with you that 12-cylinder Ferraris are in a different league, but I must confess I would be very tempted by modern F40, IF Ferrari go for a purist approach and make a truly light car.
    I also agree with your previous post on the Lusso...I would never buy a V8 Lusso...The V12 has twice the charisma and since these cars are driven daily, buying one in Central Europe without 4WD makes no sense. Also looking at the other cars in the "super GT" class -ie offerings from Mercedes, BMW, Bentley etc- with the exception of Aston Martin they are all 4WD. It is true they are not all true competitors of the Lusso - only the Bentley tries to be- but it shows the buyers' preference.

24. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    thursday?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: it was on monday. :mad:

F140C likes this.
  25. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Most people I talked to didn't even know about this car. On the other hand, the VS version of the GTB was seen coming from miles away. And now we have to wait a few more days..Wish I had some photoshop skills to make a render!