488 Replacement | Page 15 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    That age group would rather take Ubers and Lyfts, they simply don't care about luxury cars as much as they used to, regardless of affordability. At best they roam in SUVs, given the sales explosion of late.

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Tastes, and the means to indulge them, often change as you get older. I had a Countach poster on my wall in the 1980’s and bought a Porsche 993TT in the 1990’s. Howver, since I really started buying sportscars at around age 44, it’s been almost exclusively Ferraris. There is a timeless elegance and classical beauty to them, at least in my eyes. I think modern McLarens and Lamborghinis are cool, but more outlandish and less resolved aesthetically. McLaren build quality and reliability also seems to have room for improvement.

Ferraris are an aspirational product: more expensive, harder to buy (at least when new), etc. Makes sense that younger enthusiasts may look elsewhere. Time will tell whether your generation gravitates towards Ferraris as they age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH, stavura, day355 and 5 others like this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You live in a weird place...

4. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Haha...was thinking the same :D

stavura likes this.
  5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think young people are lusting much for exotics in general anymore. Uber, public transit, bikes, green stuff, Teslas...

I can't say I really hang out with teenagers or young people much anymore, but I can't even think of the last time I heard a young person talking about any exotic at all.

day355 likes this.
  6. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Where is it?
    In Russia almost same picture.

7. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Actually....it's true. Most younger enthusiasts, YouTubers, etc. are more loyal to McLaren and Lamborghini. The 720S and Performante take the hearts of most younger fans vs. Ferrari.

8. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    At least they are still into cars. I have kids in that 21-26 bracket and most of their buds are into cars. In fact some of the girls quite like cars too. As long as F, P, L and M keep their advertising very targeted this age group will be their customers when they can afford such a car.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I'm 23 and I love Ferraris more than anyone else in the world. Ferrari's future is in good hands. :)

Btw, is the 488 replacement coming next year?

10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Geneva 2020

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    How on earth can one measure such a thing?

12. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Just watch all the youngsters on YouTube videos at events, Cars and Coffee, drag races, etc. The general population gravitate towards McLarens and Lambos. Go to car shows, European meets with high end cars, etc. Look at the cars that these youngsters gather around....

of2worlds and Thelovelyrock18 like this.
  13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    No worries, for the next 850+hp will kick ass and bring ferrari back to the performance table.
    The youngsters will remember the name ;)

Motorwerks likes this.
  14. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    They eventually all come to their senses once they grow up and maturity sets in........:D

15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Ferrari is like a wine that you only learn to cherish and taste when you get older. In fact, the older the wine is, the better it will be.

When you are young, drinking beers may be enough and getting drunk over it would be something to brag about next day with your buddies from the clubbing the night before.

Sure young drivers gravitate toward McLaren or Lamborghini for both outlandish looks and numbers in straight line, but I am sure when they get older, they will start enjoying things that they couldn't perceive before, like fine wine, fine tastes, fine women, fine watches, fine cars, and ultimately quality time with family. There are reasons why vintage Ferraris are sold at astronomical prices in auctions just like the fine arts.

16. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Ferraris are for grown ups. :)

Not for retards like that Salomondrin guy in Youtube. :p

17. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    I used to sing your tune. However, the reality is that Ferrari IS up against some serious competition. To call a 720S or a Huracan Performante outlandish is a bit subjective. Both of those cars have serious performance qualities. I would suggest that the current Performante is the favorite amongst the $300k bunch.

The Ferrari of today is different than the Ferrari of 2010. People are slowly starting to lose patience for $5800 Apple Car Play as an option, $2000 rear view camera as an option, etc., etc. It's happening...Keyless entry? Still an innovation with a 488?! Come on...

boobernackle likes this.
  18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Yes, those options are complete bs. I was more equating how Ferrari is equating to those fine entities in my post. Take watch for example, we don't buy Richard Mille for time telling, do we?

TomTom77 likes this.
  19. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    And I agree with you. After all, I did spec and purchase a 2018 488. However, I will admit that the speciality of these cars has been muted and diluted in the current era due to fierce and worthy competitors from others.

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-18/ferrari-s-new-ceo-cuts-profit-goal-inherited-from-marchionne

First relevant quotes from the various presentations:

About 60 percent of total production will have a hybrid engine by 2022, the company said.

The average retail price for cars will increase “significantly,” according to Ferrari’s head of sales, Enrico Galliiera.

One notably departure from its high-powered heritage will be the introduction of smaller V-6 engines, which were also announced at the investor meeting.

G. Pepper and of2worlds like this.
  21. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

Interesting,thanks.
    I can see a V6 in Portofino and 488 replacement but big question is whether this is just an alternative to a V8.
    It has been a bit of a bull market for Ferrari recently but things do have a nasty habit of changing quite quickly.
    XJ220 anyone?

22. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Reading as much as possible of today's statements it sounds like mid engined V6TT and a slightly different mid engined V8 are coming so maybe title of this thread should be 488 ReplacementS.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Increase production and the average price at the same time is an ambitious target - easier to sustain in a bull market.

boobernackle likes this.
  24. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    the call is ~3 hours if anyone has time to kill. great info, some I agree with, some I disagree with, but I assume its because I'm in NA and view our "bubble" differently than emerging markets.

25. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    so in line with what I said.....the 488 in 2020 will not be a replacment but just a FL
    engine basically will be the same V8 turbo...probably they will add some HP

for the revolution we have to wait untill 2022 when the replacement will come with the new hybrid engine V6