488 Replacement | Page 14 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When the new Portofino was introduced it was said to be the new platform and that it could also be configured to accept the new replacement for the 488 as well.

Doug23 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Well, the Portofino would well fit in the front-mid layout combined with aluminium platform scenario. IMO nothing speaks against the assumption that the Portofino’s chassis is part of the new modular platform. Even though, I can’t remember if this is confirmed from official side.

Doug23 likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When Ferrari launched the PF they said it features an all new aluminum platform. I'm pretty sure this is what they are talking about. As to the engine being ahead of the front suspension, I think this is purely for illustration purposes and not accurate in this regard. The pattern has been revolution after the "M" model (488). So I think its reasonable to think the 488 successor will be a whole new platform. I can't speak to the technical requirements of the new car, but I would imagine they will want a platform that is stiffer and allows for even more faster and more precise suspension reaction. I would also imagine they would want to have a clean sheet architecture for the interior. But maybe this time they've decided they don't need to do that. I would be a little surprised if they did this though.

G. Pepper, j09333 and of2worlds like this.
  4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The drawing must be for very basic illustration purposes only. It shows a front engine with the engine in backwards and no way for a mid-front configuration. This new modular concept must be focused on hybrids and production profitability moving forward because I would think a car that is more custom to its function is best for looks and performance then trying to make blocks fit together with compromises. Also too much commonality in components stymie's advancements aimed at a specific application. We'll see. Ferrari knows how to make performance cars that look great and drive awesome.

christophejob, Caeruleus11 and Doug23 like this.
  5. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    This car really marks the start of a new era for Ferrari.
    They have to nail it and my guess is they will !

stavura and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. pappo

pappo Rookie

Jan 30, 2017
    iloveferrari and of2worlds like this.
  7. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Position of exhaust is like more SP38

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great name there!

pappo likes this.
  9. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    They have too or the competition will really crack them, specially Mclaren.
    Newer generations of customers don’t care much about history.
    They care about specs, weight, hp, drag/laptimes.
    Lately Ferrari hasn’t much to brag about...

iloveferrari and Andrew97 like this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    They do not seem to struggle to sell the Pista at a stratospheric price though...

stavura and crinoid like this.
  11. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    True but just like the iPhone that sells automatically, it doesn’t mean that’s the best product around or that they can relax.
    Competition is fierce. Name alone isn’t enough anymore.

12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    L O L

F2003-GA and fil like this.
  13. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Tell me about it!!!

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #339 Lukeylikey, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    I’m not sure I really agree. I think McLaren is not really providing the competition it could, or Lamborghini, or Porsche. Here’s why; McLaren are starting to struggle in my opinion - poor F1 performance, upheaval at board level, increasingly difficult financial situation, same basic architecture for many models and now many years, serious reliability issues, serious depreciation issues, too few dealers and an over-reliance on performance to compensate for other product demerits. When they started they had a lot of promise - another F1 derived car producer, with arguably as strong a claim to being an F1 powerhouse as Ferrari - they had won the highest percentage of Grand Prix they had competed in. A more engineering-focused approach compared with the more emotional side of Ferrari gave a genuine choice. That all seems a bit hollow to me now.

Lamborghini are an old brand with a good heritage and some stellar products in the back catalogue - Miura was the first truly super supercar, Countach was the first truly outlandish poster pin-up supercar etc. Being backed by the mighty VW group who can provide finance to take away money worries which had plagued the brand (and all small volume brands) could have given them such an advantage, yet the products are not universally praised, are often used to donate to lesser brands around the group, depreciate heavily and mostly do not get the critical acclaim of Ferrari.

Perhaps the most curious is Porsche, now also with the VW group. They do have critical acclaim, imperious racing heritage, sophisticated mechanical and emotional engineering and the only other brand that has many of its performance cars doing well in terms of depreciation. Yet they have not launched a mid-engined competitor to the 488, nor do they have a car to compete with the 812 (or the Lusso for that matter). Ferrari and probably anyone else will never do a 911, they have such a strong heritage and reputation, they must still be the biggest threat to Ferrari.

Compare the relative position of Ferrari to all these brands around 10 or so years ago. Is it worse off against Lamborghini? I see Lamborghini in exactly the same relative position. Worse off against Porsche (although Porsche’s GT programme has been outstanding and ensures very high loyalty)?And McLaren has just not made the dent in Ferrari they would have hoped for (Ferrari’s production has been increasing, demand and residuals are strong and critical acclaim is outstanding). McLaren have helped more than hindered Ferrari - they have shown how good Ferrari are, not just in terms of speed performance where McLaren are ahead, but in terms of the whole package.

Ferrari’s reputation is as strong as it’s ever been, the demand for its products is off the charts (the super-expensive Pista being so heavily oversubscribed is just one example), it has two basic engine architectures - both award winning and receiving huge technical and critical acclaim, it has three (maybe four if you count Lusso) very distinct model lines which are not overlapped and not derivatives of each other, it has much improved reliability, the best residuals and might even win the F1 constructors title again. It is in rude health, or so it seems...

Because all of this is caveated by that famous quote from Warren Buffett - “when the tide goes out you get to see who is swimming with their pants down!” When the tide eventually goes out, this industry could become a very different place indeed. I still suspect the two most successful brands - Ferrari and Porsche to do the best though. But that is just conjecture - if you wait you will see.

15. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I'm not talking about reputation, I'm talking about specs that the new and future customers are/will be looking for.
    Yes Ferrari is usually the one with the most sexy cars, sell like hot cakes and great racing heritage but to a 25 - 35 year old (and they are the future customers) they don't care much a bout that.
    They want to own every car they find in the street/drag race (stock cars) and even when driving slow they want the feeling: I could own you right now and you and everyone here knows it.
    Its an ego thing the numbers.

When I bought my Ferrari, I wanted that specific model for the sound, heritage, last NA V8/Pininfarina and all that, but that's me.
    People my age that can afford these toys don't care. They are not even good drivers anyway so a car that is super fast in a straight line and full of aids to help them not to screw up is the way to go.
    And i'm a sucker for numbers too, in the future I will also buy a 1000+ HP car. I'm curious to see if the 2019 Tesla Roadster will really own everyone and everything.
    If it does the combustion cars are really done and I will buy some hybrid/electric toy from Ferrari/Mac when they launch a lot of cars a get all the bugs out.

16. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    sad news, next generation of porsche gt3 will be probably turbo :(

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ron Dennis claimed that at the time, but he was lying through his teeth!!! Ferrari had a highest percentage, of all the manufacturers who had completed in multiple seasons.

18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    yup...a bit sad but again its not about driver engagement,its about speed and track times. Many owners prefer to drive their GT3 RS than the GT2 RS but the later is much faster...
    And Lambo will go hybrid/turbo hybrid too otherwise they will be the slow brand. The next 488 should have 850+ HP and they want to keep up (I think...).

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Regarding Porsche, I don't see them as true Ferrari ccompetitors; their products are usually one rung below, except for the ultra exclusive (918, Gt2 RS) and even those don't have that special something.

Lamborghini and McLaren are true competitors, but much smaller in history, size and following.

TSOYBELIS likes this.
  20. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

Agree with this.
    Most interesting development in UK market to me is the new generation of Aston Martins,potential flotation of that company.and pretty informed speculation they will launch a mid engined production model.Could go one of two ways !

Caeruleus11 and Lukeylikey like this.
  21. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I agree with this and believe that's an accurate assessment of their strategy.

22. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    V6 + hybrid, sad that Ferrari need to follow Honda

day355 likes this.
  23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That is pure conjecture.

24. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I don't know about the States but here my age group and lower (under 35) all want McLarens and Lambos. I've got a 458 because I'm a car nerd, love Ferrari and always have prized the rev limit but most people don't.

This age group would think one was insane to buy a 488 over a 720s or a Huracan.

Nobody is really interested in Ferrari...this is a problem I think for the company.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The thing about age groups is that there's more than one and everyone that lives long enough moves from one to the other. That's why we will always have the beautiful mid-front monster HP beauties and then the other stuff for the folks that don't know any better yet :)

Shack and nads like this.