488 - 488 Rear View Mirror Assembly?? | FerrariChat

488 488 Rear View Mirror Assembly??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dr_G, Jul 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr_G

Dr_G Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Greenwell
    All, all of a sudden my rear view mirror seems to have unlodged and is shaking like crazy when I drive. The base that the mirror is connected to is completely loose. I messed with it for a while trying to see if I could tell how it was supposed to be secured to the windshield but couldn't quite figure it out. Anyone else here have any experience here that could lend a hand?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The base is mounted on a pair of "rails". It's just slid on and a friction fit. They tend to come loose on track sometimes. Just give the base a few good knocks upward parallel to the windshield so to speak. If you are unsure about it, drop by your dealer fir a coffee. They can fix it in less than a minute.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Dr_G

Dr_G Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Greenwell
    Thanks, unfortunately my dealer is a 7 hour round trip…will see if I can’t get it back on myself

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Dr_G

Dr_G Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Greenwell
    So it seems the real root issue is that the mirror housing bracket is affixed to the windshield via double sided tape (of some kind) as the entire assembly was just hanging in my car this morning by the wires. Anyone have any idea what kind of double sided tape they are using to adhere the housing to the windshield? Need to figure a local solution for something this (relatively) minor.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. BLUESL

BLUESL Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    London
    I use front licence plate brackets made by carbonio.com and they use tape made by 3M which is activated by wiping a sponge pad over the mating surface. The end result is incredibly strong. So if you are sure that this is used, it would be a good place to start. Either that or ask for advice at a local windshield repair place.

Dr_G likes this.
  6. cchan842

cchan842 Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Sounds like 3M VHB tape. It’s often used for dash cam mounts. Can easily order it online from places like Amazon.

Dr_G likes this.
  7. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    Had that happen on my 458. Called a windshield replacement company and they fixed it quickly and easily.

Dr_G likes this.