488 Pista Values | Page 21 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Values

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by customryder, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #501 Shadowfax, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    I love cars and, I like wings and flames! Bring them on please!!

I've driven most of the Mclarens and really appreciate them but so far have never have bought one but I like the look of the 765 and I think this car is going to be crazy and wild enough and ticks all the boxes I look for so yeah I'm in! And looking at what Ferrari has coming out I'm definitely out 100%! This "Ferrari is a Ferrari" stigma you refer to belongs to an era before they went off into the luxury goods business. What do we have today? Polarizing designs, overpriced overweight disposable hybrids, no noise, no flames! And no doubt a continuation of massive depreciation! And electrical issues of course.....kinda goes without saying that.

PS It's been confirmed there is no F8VS. Not sure what confirmation is required? A branding iron? Pista's resale will remain in good shape for years to come where the spec is sound. That one is easy to see.

Art138 and Gh21631 like this.
  2. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    I wasn't aware they had said no F8VS - that's great news!!
    I accept Ferrari has lost its away a little, but hoping the world today will help steer them back to what they were only a few years back - not this mass production business they've got themselves into. Hope you get your hands on a 765LT - not sure how difficult it is or not.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Dont kid yourself, McLarens engineering is as good or better than anyone. Their issues are elsewhere.

IPO1 likes this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I was in under the impression that in Europe they were classified as 18's. 18, 19, 20. This is how a buyer would view it, maybe not the seller.

5. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It did look like good value, I would have bid if my F8 was not 2 to 3 months from delivery

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You are selling yourself short. If you truly love cars, don’t be a brand homer. A Ferrari is a Ferrari but drive a mclaren. It’s a worthy competitor.

Gh21631, mkraft3003 and IPO1 like this.
  7. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    765LT looks interesting....but will do when they make something I like enough to warrant a trek down to their dealership.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    720 hands down one of the best cars out there along with a Pista. But what do I know. Good luck.

9. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    I hear the same from others about the 720, yet these Mclarens sink in value like a rock attached to a rock. Mclaren clearly forcing new cars on their dealers, so no surprise they wont want to buy back the one they sold you. I'm hearing of some crazy discounts on new 720's.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And what does that have to do with how good the car is? Have you seen 488 values? How are those any different than 720 values? What about a Ferrari F12? Seen those used values? Cause you know, a Ferrari is a Ferrari.

Spec out a 2 year old Porsche Turbo and come talk to me about depreciation. How about an Aston at 50% off??

All these cars depreciate. Mclaren is no exception. It’s to your advantage to pick up a used one and enjoy the car because all cars matter.

wthensler and IPO1 like this.
  11. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    yes a used 720 is a lot of car for £135k or so.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I wish there was a section of this forum dedicated exclusively to the most ubiquitous topic discussed - depreciation. It is by a wide margin, the most prevalent subject of debate.I venture to claim that is tantamount to being an obsession. Depreciation must be accepted as endemic to all cars, including super cars with the exception of a tiny fraction of limited edition cars that require steep buying history or celebrity status in order to enter this exclusive club. . If that truism causes debilitating anxiety, and impedes upon the enjoyment of owning these luxury items, perhaps the experience is simply not worth it.

13. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    #513 jim g, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    720 is mclarens current car and 488 is Ferrari’s old model so comparing the 2 is irrelevant. Compare 488 to 720s when mclaren replaces it and I’ll guarantee you the Ferrari held its value better. Saying resale and price don’t value into the equation when buying a $300,000 car is BS or we’d just all be buying fxx-k’s and calling it a day.

FHFP and Coincid like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What about F12 deprecation?

Look, resale and price do matter but hat I’m saying is that all cars depreciate and use the depreciation to your advantage. Buy a 2019 720 at a good discount and enjoy the car.

If the only reason you are staying away from a 720 is cause you think it’s deprecation is worse than other cars, you are missing out.

But you know, a Ferrari is a Ferrari.

Gh21631 and Doctor Mark like this.
  15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    And then if you drive them...that's the rub. Is it a piece of art or a car to be driven? I say both in some cases. But with miles comes depreciation. Can the same satisfaction be derived from owning a car and not driving it? In some cases yes. I have a friend with a La Ferrari Alperta with about 140 miles on it. He says he cannot drive it. He can afford to, but will not due to the depreciation of milage. He does enjoy owning it, but I feel that it is art and a store of value to be traded or sold in the future. It is rare, it is desirable, and is beautiful to behold in that fine, fine garage. You live once, what we accumulate goes to others.

Check out the recent article by Steve Ahlgrim on the 288 that just sold.

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/profile/1985-ferrari-288-gto-4

16. FWIW, Lewis Hamilton will drive his LaFerrari to dinner, and then have it towed back to storage.

Him (and his date)? He Ubers home.

Thecadster and Jo Sta7 like this.
  17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Just wow, that is perplexing. If I had his mojo, I would have two, make three or four, one to drive, the rest to look at. The F40 I drive has 22 or 23,000 miles on it, I don't worry about it.

Thecadster likes this.
  18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Just took this bad picture, too lazy to do a good one. Was wrong over 24.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Are all of those miles yours?

If so, that's quite impressive. Well done.

20. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Well, maybe he is smarter than most sportsmen...but just his ownership history will make up for some of the milage driven. There is a good chance he will be the most winningest F1 driver of all time, and soon. I only wish it "had" been done in a Ferrari.

Hamilton, as it turns out, views his collection of “something like 15 cars” not just as transportation or entertainment, but as an investment—a way to safeguard part of a personal fortune believed to sit around $200 million. “So many sportsmen—sportswomen are generally a smarter species—have squandered their money. I’m very conscious of that,” he told The Times. “I don’t know anything about wine. I don’t know a huge amount about art. But what I do know is cars, and I’m very particular about them.”

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think both are true. Take 488 for example- whether you have 500 miles on the car or 5000 when it’s time to sell the car will be worth less.

same with 720. 2000 miles or 8000 miles will make little difference. Enjoy the car. And a kudos to you for driving your F40!!

22. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    I drive my Ferraris like I would any other car and put thousands of miles on them. I understand the cost of ownership and the impact this has on depreciation v the pleasure I get from driving them. This doesn't bother me at all - I see it as I'm investing in my mood! Having said that, of course massive depreciation bothers me - but the V8's are no where as bad as the V12's. As for Mclaren, I get the feeling their cars across the range depreciate badly. Ultimately I don't find their cars appealing at all. For example, I find the Senna hideous. And yes, I do believe a Ferrari is a Ferrari and when my son gets one of my old bangers, Im fairly certain he will be glad it wasn't a Mclaren with a aircraft wing stuck on its boot.

23. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I love it...going to get this made into a bumper sticker for the 458

SoCal to az and Gh21631 like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Please educate yourself before making these types of comments. This is not just McLaren, all of the top mnfrs are doing this. Difference is that Ferrai dealers wont discount a new car HOWEVER they will give you way over on a trade. It nets out the same.

IPO1 and SoCal to az like this.