488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Been trying hard to get a speedster 70th recently, not successfully.

Basically the 918 program kills all possibility.

Dealer told me the factory is pissed about this, which they launched at a time they thought they would have a hard time selling the 918s.

Lets see if this is true, and if the vip program is renewed or not for their next hypercar.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    They are basically telling people with hundreds of thousands in disposable income your money is no good.

Zero chance you get the speedster. Had a buddy call the local dealer and he wouldn’t even return his calls.

Can you freaking imagine? Completely blow off your potential customers. I’d be out of work if I ran my business this way.

Automoblog likes this.
  3. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Not smart long term.

I was completely blown off when I inquired about buying a 458. I am now buying my second McLaren with an experience at 2 different dealers that were exceptionally engaging, even - gasp - friendly.

McLaren and Lambo are no slouch these days.
    In fact, I would say the 570S is nearly the equivalent of the 488 and 600LT will surpass it. Looks are subjective, but when I take my 570S to a car event it has a crowd huddled around, 488, not so much- people know the McLaren is the killer technologically too.

720- forget it; Ferrari is left behind.

Not sure how long this is sustainable? Maybe, like a Harley, there are people that will just continue to put up with anything for the brand.

Mbutner and wildkalabaw like this.
  4. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    #54 boogie, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    For exclusivity some need to be excluded. That's the point.

It's perfectly sustainable. Harvard's been doing it for 382 years.

5. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Ferrari will continue losing clients, especially the new generation. Portofino, Lusso even the 488s are plunging in prices because they are producing cars that nobody wants. Same people continue to get the Speciale, TDFs, LaFerrari and etc.....2 years later, no miles on these cars and they sell them for a massive profit. These cars are meant to be driven, yet they are being used as money makers. Begging for cars is over.......Porsche, McLaren.......hate to say Lambo will gladly take the business :)

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Or they’re saying that people who spent a big sum supporting their halo product when it was not quite so sought after that their loyalty is valued highly.

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    and now getting sued. :)

iloveferrari, Mbutner and boogie like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Absolutely they should reward loyalty. But not at the expense of alienating other customers. Unless they want just 918 loyal customers. I would argue that there are probably tens of thousands more that want access to porsche cars.

Im not saying over build your product and dilute the brand.
    Im not saying alienate your best customers.

All Im saying is you cannot continue to ignore over and over again people with lots of disposable income. People have too many choices today.

BaronM69 likes this.
  9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Really...Ferrari still feels they can play this with the number of cars they manufacture?

The best dealership experience I currently enjoy is Lamborghini Sarasota. I bought my Murcielago Roadster there and will buy an Aventador Roadster from them. No games, no jacked up service bills from the quote....just good honest service.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

IPO1 likes this.
  10. Bendrover

Bendrover Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    How many of you would take a spot for a Pista w/o having to play the game of buying something to get the Pista?

I have spec my Pista and have a 50/50 shot at getting one. I should know in the next few months if the dealership will be getting any extra cars.
    Reading all the comments is giving me pause, but I really don't think I could turn down a spot if given one. Just trying to processing all that I'm reading.

11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Ok, let me try and make it a bit clearer -

- production is a highly planned exercise, beginning years in advance, incorporating thousands of complex decisions
    - it depends on predicting volumes sold against unknown future competitors in a future unknown economic environment and must have a high degree of caution built in due to the unpredictability of these forecasts
    - to increase volumes needs financing, dealer network planning and forecasting to make sure that extra production will not become over-capacity which is highly damaging and that dealers can absorb the extra responsibility that higher production brings (for one simple example among many considerations, GT products are tracked more and will generate far higher warranty claims, can the network handle this and still maintain customer satisfaction?)
    - manufacturers would rather leave a little cash on the table and have sought after products than risk pushing the envelope too far and have to scale back, which can take nearly as much planning as scaling up and can be catastrophically damaging changing the company’s momentum completely.
    - in the case of Porsche, just because they build many other models does not necessarily make the decision easier to produce more RS

I seem to recall that the GT cars are built by Porsche motorsport and not the main factory, which complicates things even further. I doubt very much they will kill the golden goose to make sure every customer who wants an RS can have one. My point is that it is not as simple as you think to increase production for a particular model, there are many considerations and many difficulties. They must do it slowly and cautiously as they have been doing. Meaning that there will be plenty of people who want one and can’t get one. The moment they overplay their hand the house of cards comes down and the shareholders lose confidence in future investments, which will be vital for the company’s continued success. It is not too many years ago that Porsche were on the edge of bankruptcy - a very well trodden path for even famous car companies in the motor industry.

Bundy, arizonaitalian and Shamile like this.
  12. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    they all returned my calls....but I know I won't have one even if Im on the list at 3 of them.
    one of them told me I had a chance to buy new, but not at msrp which I am not interested in.

it's part of the frustration: when you are in a position to have such type of disposable money, and you earned it, it's not often people tell you no.

but there are richer and more successful and those buy 918s and LEs at ferrari. it's just about resettings one ego a notch lower in the end

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If I was offered one without having to buy a Lusso or Portifino, and I was in the market for a supercar, I might take it. However, the Pista is not like the Speciale- the price seems to be 450k plus. Thats a hefty premium over the Speciale.

My entire take has changed since I ventured onto another brand. Still keeping the 488 but now, not sure if id spend 450 on a Pista. Maybe....not sure.

IPO1 likes this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It certainly remains to be seen whether Ferrari’s more aggressive pricing will work. My guess is that it will, but not be such a good thing for buyers as the Speciale/SA/TDF generation. Early on there will be big premiums but after 12 months, 5,000 mile cars at MSRP is my guess.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The cars need to be 75% better than the current crop. 488 at $289 starting. New cars at $450k starting? Man, thats a tough pill to swallow. Looking forward to the new crop but lots of good options at 300k now.

Automoblog and IPO1 like this.
  16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #66 IPO1, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Just popping back in to say my Lambo Performante got locked today (March build/April delivery)...and I'm stoked.

Best buying experience I've had with any brand (Ferrari, Porsche, MB you name it). It's my second Lambo - bought 2015 610 and loved it. Urus arrives next month as well--why did I buy, because I loved the SUV, but more because dealer treated me like a human and made me want to buy it (in my shorts, flip flops and fleece top--no judgement).

MANY brands have a lot to learn about treating high end buyers right (had nothing but arrogance from Ferrari dealers, even after buying my 458).

Okay back to 'Balls'...sorry to bust in with Bull talk :cool:

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Congrats!

IPO1 likes this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    This Porsche 70th speedster you mention is one of 1948 cars? It is not like Ferrari where they build 499 and they are all sold early on. Also I thought some of the 918 VIP customers had been kicked off the factory list for 'bad habits' already...freeing up more cars to.

19. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Car is for drive.
    It is not investment yet whenever Ferrari says you can have one, it sounds like voice of god.
    I still have to buy 812 spider, suv, v6 baby 488, v8 488replacement and what not and no one is sure if I can get LEs.
    VIP for sure but not TOP.
    I am getting tired of their new super high grip cars with eye poping speed and less soul. I just flip cars only for LE allocation. Recent cars like Lusso and Portofino just kills however little fun they used to have as a GT car. FF was way better.

Porsche... simply they said no to every request. I should have bought 918...

Maclaren... they are great cars but dealer and service And resale kills me.

Ah... Lambo is the new king. With hybrid, Lambo can take advantage of VW and Porsche. With great design like they usually do, Lambo can be a new Ferrari. With only two cars hystory, 640and aventador, I had no problem of buying SVJ. I even asked if I can get 63 svj and I see no problem.

I am verry sad to see how Ferrari changed their policy. Ferrari was the only hope and now it is gone.
    Like cellphone, when they reached at certain point technically and pricewise, it became disposable, no longer special in my pocket.
    Cars now a days feels like this. It will be so much more like this in the future. And then lets see all the LE cars can hold their value and be an investment like most buyers hope right now. I don’t see it happening. Once people moves to all things electric, they will see less value of these LE cars, especially current ones.

junc, Coincid, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  20. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    All of you angrily clamoring for Pistas need to BE PATIENT.

As long as you have history, this is relative depending on your market, you'll get the call.

Right now dealers are dangling carrots (Lusso) in front of customers and using terms like "sold out" because they receive allocations over time. Once your dealer receives their first Pista, they'll try to dangle it in front of customers and when none play the game, tables will turn and they'll go down the list.

It's very easy to see which side of the fence your dealer sits on: if you walk in their showroom and see a LE car with nothing but delivery/service miles, you know they will stop at nothing to dangle carrots. Top cars will be ordered using dealer mules, meaning a fake customer/entity, then placed on their showroom for resale to bag all the money, claiming this car belongs to a "top client" with a BS excuse of why they couldn't take delivery.

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If i was a new guy entering the brand with 450k i wld buy a CS for 170k, 550 for 100k, a 95 355 for 60k, and a 612 for 100k all with higher miles and id enjoy this crap out of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caphill, INTMD8, LARRYH and 10 others like this.
  22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Pssh.....take 300k, buy a Lamborghini and spend 150k on hookers and blow.

Waking up in Vegas not remembering how you got there.....priceless. ;)

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Riki, daytona355, Skippr1999 and 2 others like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Post of the year. :)

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m relatively new to supercars. Got my 488. Getting a 720. Will get it out of my system and likely will do something similar to what you describe.

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Haha this works too. You know me....i love my lambos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shamile likes this.