488 GTB Brake Fluid Low, Drive To Dealer Slowly | FerrariChat

488 GTB Brake Fluid Low, Drive To Dealer Slowly

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jarviper, Jul 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jarviper

Jarviper Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Rose
    My 2018 GTB with 12000 miles on it showed a signal on the left side dash that said "Brake Fluid Low, Drive To Dealer Slowly". By the time I got home only 10 minutes away, my brakes completely failed completely when I pulled into my driveway and my car ended up in the pond behind my house after I jumped out of the moving and running car about 10 to 15 miles per hour. State Farm totaled the car. Has anyone else with a 488 GTB had or seen this indicator light? If so, what was it related to?

udishamir likes this.
  2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Obvious catastrophic fluid leak lead to system failure. Hose, seal? would ebrake not work? Always thought they were mechanical not hydraulic in actuation.

3. Jarviper

Jarviper Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Rose
    There wasn't any fluid leaks on my garage floor from either of the two 488's I've owned. The car is being towed to Continental Ferrari in Hinsdale to be inspected and repaired through my Ferrari Roadside Assistance coverage. It's 319 miles from my house. Luckily, I was able to get the car home and parked in the garage so we should be able to determine what the defect is or what exactly caused the brake failure problem on both of my 488 GTB's. The Ferrari of Atlanta Dealer where I purchased the car on 6/25/21 with only 6200 one owner miles on it couldn't believe this happened to me again. He's never heard of the brake fluid issue in all his years of selling Ferrari's. I'll let you know what we find out. I'm also going to follow up with Ferrari about this brake fluid low issue that resulted in me not having any braked whatsoever. I don't know if the electric brake works or not. I did not have any time to try it when my other 488 GTB would not stop and went into the pond behind my house. Do you own a 488 GTB?

4. udishamir

udishamir Rookie

Jun 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    udi shamir
    Wow very sorry to hear that. I don’t have enough data and it’s fairly inductive but following my leak, yours and another 2 friends each have 488 one 2016 while the other 2017 suffered from different leaks with reasonably low mileage less than 11k miles which for me it doesn’t seems as a lot, maybe Ferrari design engines for 10k miles who knows, my personal feeling is that Ferrari used too much superglue instead of using high end material lol.

hope you will get into better example , best of luck

5. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I do not have a 488. For me any time I drove the car after the repair was made I would always be afraid of it happening again. It would make the car no longer fun to drive.

6. PasadenaF430scuderia

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Complete failure? Hmmm…did the warning light come on and stay on? Happened to me at the track the other day, but for me it came on under heavy braking then immediately went away. Brake completely fine. I did get a brake flush today just to be sure and all the lines were inspected and were fine. No leaks.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Man, that sucks.

The car does have an emergency brake... did you attempt to stop it using that?

Ray