488 Exhaust | FerrariChat

488 Exhaust

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JDINPA, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
    Anyone else notice this: upon cold start, the 488 stock exhaust with valves open actually sounds pretty good, but then the valves slam shut after like 5 or 10 seconds?! Talk about a buzz kill :-(
    Now, I'm already having a Novitec system put on the car, but I was just curious if others had noticed this behavior. Btw, same thing happens (valves slam shut) when the engine gets to around 2K RPM's, so when you pull up to a stop sign or red light, it also kills the buzz because you may as well be in a DD it's so quite. Ugh.

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It was horrible - i never forget it. How could anyone NOT notice it!!? Thank god I put the valve controller on my 488 at pre - delivery. I was so lucky I thought ahead. This was also THE most concerning thing on my mind when I picked the Pista up and sure enough I was (very sadly) proven right. What a debacle. From that moment on I knew something had to be done asap or it was the end of that car. Thankfully Forza came to the rescue and developed a controller that worked.

johnr265 likes this.
  3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    My 2015 458 Spider did the exact same thing. I asked the dealer to plug the valves before taking delivery and the problem was solved for me. It has that great sound at start up and does not diminish. I can also control the volume by keeping the engine in certain RPM ranges. So if I want the wife to hear me coming into the neighborhood I run in 2nd gear at about 3500 rpm. If I want to sneak home, I drop down to 2500. Works great and I still can have a conversation while driving with the top or rear window down.

4. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    In race mode with the valves open it actually is pretty good. That said i have ordered a Kline Inconel system to solve this issue once and for all i hope.

MANDALAY and wrs like this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes and they open above 2500 rpm in RACE mode so if you use manual you can keep the car at it's loudest, which is pretty loud but I put a Tubi straight pipe on it and it sounded even better. I was happy with the 488 sound when I kept the car in RACE, rpms above 3500 and drove in manual.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Which set up ?

7. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    Shadowfax likes this.
  8. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
    Novitec is installed! :) Before and after vids coming soon. The Switchtronic has a memory feature, which is very cool. Basically it remembers the valve setting from engine stop to next start (e.g. open at all times in my case)

gabf1 and Lagunae92 like this.
  9. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Your stated problem could have been solved with two Golf Tees, removing the vacuum lines, inserting the tees into the disconnected lines and zip tying. I did this with my 458,488 and just in May the 812. Never regretted doing so and it is reversible.

Cigarzman and Viperjoe like this.
  10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Full exhaust or just muffler?

11. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    I just opened the valves permanently & it sounds f——n great 24/7!

Viperjoe, MANDALAY and scott61 like this.
  12. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Same here, didnt bother with a controller since I knew I would never shut them

mustangtornado and Viperjoe like this.
  13. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
    Hey guys, just tried to upload before and after videos so you can all hear stock vs Novitec exhaust notes on my 488, but FChat web site won't let me; says the files are too large. Any suggestions?

14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Try YouTube?

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Or use a program like Handbrake to change format and reduce size?
    I believe a paid membership also makes it possible to upload large files. Not 100% sure on the latter. Can anybody confirm this?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I suppose the major issue doing this on a car with aftermarket exhaust, is that you can no longer track it. Most tracks will black flag you at the entrance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Welcome to the party. Where have you been ? :)

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I have done a lot of searching with regards to aftermarket exhaust. Frankly IF I keep my 488 GTB I will go Inconel Kline with 200 cel cats.

Why I was fortunate to hear the set up on a Pista. Just curious why even though he originally had the valves pinned in this set up there not pinned or using a remote control ?? Maybe they forgot.

All burps still their and DEFINITELY higher top end pitch. Interesting that the valve is after the silencer. Apparently this stops any drone and Kline still wants you to have the valve there. With this set up I would definitely for an extra couple of hundreds get the remote and not permanently pin the values. Do yourself a favour have a listen to it because the Video cannot pick up that high shrill. Im having trouble uploading also ill reformate it

Shadowfax likes this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually on the track the valves are open most of the time so the system runs straight through anyway so even with an aftermarket system the audible increase on a circuit would be minimal unless the cats were removed.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The problem is that even a stock exhaust with valves open, sometimes require you to lift off when passing noise measuring. Yes an aftermarket exhaust with stock cats will not add a lot, but when the stock system already exceeds the limits, then you run a risk of being black flagged even if you lift on the noise measuring pass. Also as you and I have talked about in our PM conversations, there are even track managers that will tell you to get lost solely based on the fact that your system is not stock.
    But my comment was probably more aimed at the idea of running a full exhaust with either sportscats ro delete pipes. I can only think of one track in my region that would allow that. But hey, they also allow us to run spiders with top down and you can drift your V12 swapped Volvo 240 all the way down the main straight and through the parabollica without anyone batting an eyelid if you so desire:D.(Yep, seen that lol)

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes this is true. The GP circuit I'm driving lately has no limits so the 3rs with the titanium bi pass is the current weapon of choice! There are some hot sounding cars in our group. And some very fast times. A stock Pista barely raises an eyebrow down the main straight.

22. markt2260

markt2260 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    I have a capristo rear valved pipes set available with remote control, part number 02FE 08703005, transforms the sound of the 488, fits both coupe and spider. Used for 3000 miles, cost £3500 new, looking for £2000.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app