488 - does it need to be plugged in? | FerrariChat

488 - does it need to be plugged in?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bberg009, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    I had a 458 spider who was a 'power hog' and sort of demanded to be plugged in unless I drove it every week. If I didn't, it gave me warnings and told me to see dealer (even changed batteries to no avail). I just bough a new 2017 488 spider, should I expect the same? I am nervous, since the car didn't come with a battery charger setup..

2. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    Yes you should expect the same. Driving it for short drives doesn't help get the battery back up to full charge nor does letting just idle. A good maintainer, not charger, will keep your battery topped off same said for many of the upper level cars that have power hungry computers

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you bought from a dealer- it should come with a car cover and tender. I always just hook up my tender.

4. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Odd it "didn't come with a battery charger setup", I have seen the trickle charger attached to 488's at the dealerships. My 458 came with one.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If you bought the car new, there should be a battery maintainer in the car cover bag. It has a really nice/convenient magnetic connector that attaches to a socket at the rear of the car to the right of the license plate. I highly recommend the use the maintainer if you don't want to have battery problems.

Syd Boysky and of2worlds like this.
  6. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    I bought the car from a Ferrari dealership and it had brochures for a charger, but not actual charger.. so, I guess I will have to contact them and look for the hookup. Does anyone know, why Ferraris have such a need to be on a charger? I own 9 other cars that have no such power demands (from fords, mercedeses and Maseratis)....

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Because they don't get driven enough.

Chizz and of2worlds like this.
  8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Yes the charger should come with the car and yes it needs to be connected; unfortunately the recent Ferrari do not have a switch to cut the battery circuit (which was very convenient but was probably discontinued because of the sensitivity of the electronics; the 599 was probably one of the last to have it).
    Also make sure it is properly connected (checking the lights on the charger) because it is sensitive and some dirt or a slight movement may prevent it to work (putting the cover when it is installed is an interesting exercice to practice one's cautiousness...)

Syd Boysky likes this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Repeating what was said already, you should have received a battery tender in the car cover bag located in the trunk. I always keep mine connected when the car isn't driven. The tender doesn't just charge the battery, rather it efficiently maintains it at maximum charge so as to keep it healthy. Your dealer should get you one if it wasn't included. It easily connects discreetly on the outside of the rear via a magnetic connection.

of2worlds and Melvok like this.
  10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    New car MUST come with a CTEK tender.

Dig it out ... :D or notify dealer ...

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Look in the car cover bag. The bag containing the battery condition should be clipped into the inside of the car cover bag.

12. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    +1

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And tell us where ist came from .... :D

14. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just curious where you got this info. Thanks.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Experience I think .... and I agree with that too :D

16. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, it's not a plug in hybrid so doesn't make sense for battery charger to have anything to do with distance driven. Alternator driven by engine, so stands to reason that time you have engine running and RPM's will dictate how fast battery charges.

I've had my 488 for just over 2 months and I have 660 miles on it, never plugged it in. Drive it to coffee ~ 3 times a week (2 miles round trip) and then do some longer drives on weekends. So far no issues. ‍♂️

17. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    Driving short distances (15 miles or less) doesn't replenish the battery charge that was used to turn over the starter, letting it sit for only a little while at idle doesn't generate enough amperage to bring it up either it needs to be driven at "road speeds" for over 15-30 miles in order to provide enough power to make up for all that amperage used just starting it. That advice below is general information so the advice offered is even more important for cars like a newer Ferrari as their computers draw a LOT of power even some when the car is turned off (My Jag is the same way, many on that forum complain of constant dead batteries and electrical gremlins all caused by not using a maintainter).
    Quora advice
    Cars Direct advice

This same "is a maintainer necessary" is prevalent on many boards, the simple answer is "it is not until it is". For some they don't run into issues at all, some store their cars for a month or so with no ill effects, others (the majority) will run into many electrical gremlins disguised as arbitrary codes popping up, battery died won't start the car anymore, many different things all caused by a weak battery. Lastly once the battery has been brought down enough where it won't start the car it will never be the same as it was meaning there is irreversible damage done. A maintainer is NOT a charger, two totally different items and missions. The alternator provides a constant power but it still is NOT the same as a proper "maintainer" where it will bring voltage up to it's peak and keep it there usually balancing the cells, a power charger and your alternator does not do that so even a car driven often can benefit from occasional maintaining.

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Maybe a stupid question but my other car I simply disconnected the battery. It was easy to do. Is this an option ? Too hard ?

19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The maintainer extends the battery life.

By being plugged in the car will not lose its memory and settings.

So l leave mine plugged in.

Best

Jonkheer likes this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not very convenient, the battery is hidden in the passenger footwell - as mentioned above, I really miss the switch that was available on older Ferrari.

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Two knobs and a pull-handle on the zero-pole ...

It's a one minute (or maybe two) job imo. :D

But inded the cut-off switch was easy. Why did they remove it ?

Because the factory wants you not to cut the power ....

22. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just want to compare with others, I started my car and after cold start cycle when RPM came down to 1,000 with headlights turned off my voltmeter on the display read 13.9V

What reading are you guys getting?

23. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    Since it's magnetic, I assumed it was designed to pop-off when you drive off if you forget to remove it. Well I learned the hard way that it doesn't. Any ideas on how to rig it so it does pop off?

24. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Does the magnetic version allow you to start the car with it attached? The prior version had a jumper in the connector making it impossible to start with it plugged in.

25. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    I would say yes, but I guess there's a chance that it wasn't properly connected and didn't register.