488 - 488 Battery | FerrariChat

488 488 Battery

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rafael B, Apr 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Hil ,
    I have my 488 2019 w a dead battery again!. I went to FLL dealer and i am thinking about a Braille battery. Any input?
    Thanks,
    RB

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Do you keep the battery on a tender?

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Moved to appropriate forum section.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    was tender on?how long did it sit

5. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Had the original battery three years (12/16 to February). Traveled overseas with the tender plugged in and came home to a dead battery. Decided to buy a Optima Yellow top. It shows up in two days but amazingly, the original battery came back totally to life. After several weeks, my wife said to either return it or install it. Given that my son has a Spider that is a month older than my GTB and his battery totally died, I decided to install it. No big deal - about two hours, a little heavy to lift with the fingers, and a whole bunch of screws, cables, etc., but intuitive. Unless you are a serious racer, the Braille battery is nice but not worth the extra cost. You wouldn't feel the weight reduction accelerating or corning. There appears to be a Gravity brand that is about the same weight but a lot less cost.

6. Nincompoop

Nincompoop Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Nevada
    Damn bro who wears the pants in the house?

7. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I feel your pain. My ‘17 488 Spider died 10 months into ownership. Always on the tender while not driving the car. FLL fought for a replacement battery for free (Ferrari policy is not to replace if car is not driven at least 2,000 miles/year). Less than a year later the new one died but didn’t need to be replaced.

Sold the car soon afterwards. My next F car car will have an Interstate or equivalent battery rather than the POS Ferrari branded batterry.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  8. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Tender is on every day

Mighty Joe likes this.
  9. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    I drive the car 2 to 3 times per week

10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    hope you get it resolved soon

11. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Thanks for the input

12. Troy Slinkard

Troy Slinkard Rookie

Dec 26, 2018
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Rafael: Here is my input, since you are asking.

I have zero tolerance for dead batteries. Zero. Not an option. Don't want it to even be a remote possibility. When I decided to get a Ferrari and started reading this forum from top to bottom, I was very concerned about the many dead battery stories.

I had read all of RayJohn's posts about the Braille i48cs and told myself that when I find my car, I will get that battery. I wanted to be able to count on my car starting every time and I didn't want to have to ever plug it in. I didn't care about the weight savings or the cost. Just wanted the best possible reliability.

To date, the longest I have gone without driving the car is 18 days. No tender. It started immediately.

Just for my own amusement, I have been frequently checking the voltage with my multimeter. Always sits around 13.29 volts. After 18 days it was 13.27 volts. Today 13.30 volts. I won't check much anymore.

I have thanked Ray for his advice and I am very pleased with the results. I know the AntiGravity is less money and I'm sure it is a great battery. You should definitely consider that option. I got the Braille because Ray had real world experience with it and he had done a lot of homework.

Keep us posted.

13. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Antigravity is doing a 15% off deal now, I just ordered a 60ah battery for my speciale.

Rafael B and Need4Spd like this.
  14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    A buddy with a 458 spider had frequent dead batteries until they found a hot wire that was intermittently grounding and draining the battery.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds and Rafael B like this.
  15. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    I really think the same way...i want the best reliable battery and I am really looking into Braille. I spoke w Gary at Braille and I am waiting for the FLL F dealer to confirm that all electrical system is fine om my 488 so I can plan appropriately.
    How long you have the I48CS
    Thanks for your input
    Sent from my SM-G975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Thanks

17. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Thanks for your input

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Wow! Lucky his car didn't burn to the ground...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Im a dealer for AntiGravity and have no problem helping you guys out. Shoot a pm. They have a cool autostart feature so the battery will never die, ever. Good peace of mind.

ncm6cabrio and Need4Spd like this.
  20. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Hi,
    I called antigravity and the lady took my information and someone will call me back....
    Thanks
    Rafael

21. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Cool. Sent you a PM

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have the 60aH Antigravity battery in my 458. It also has the Bluetooth monitoring system. Car has been sitting for almost 3 weeks as I am performing maintenance , installing headers / exhaust and Novitec springs. Battery voltage 13.26 V without the charger. Also purchased the Ctek lithium charger and then the adapter plug (Ebay) so it plugs into the factory battery charger slot

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My vote goes to the Braille i48CS. I ran it in both my 458 and 488 and had great success with it. The design of the Braille batteries are simple, straightforward and robust.

I have no personal experience with the Antigravity batteries, so I can't really comment there. Braille is used by many high end racing teams. Gary at Braille is also very responsible and knowledgable when it comes to their products, so that helps a lot if you run into questions, etc.

Ray

of2worlds and Rafael B like this.
  24. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    I’m not sure whether the official Ferrari tender has this option, but other Cteks have a “recondition” mode. Dealer said my battery tested poorly the last time I visited for service. I passed on the replacement and ran the reconditioning program on the Ctek. Haven’t had any issues and it’s been months.

Need4Spd likes this.
  25. Rafael B

Rafael B Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rafael Briceno
    Antigravity batteries seem like an excellent choice. I have seen a couple of YouTube videos in a 458. If you would like to buy one please contact PM Jason B. He gave me a better deal than the factory.

Thanks,

Rafael B.