48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale | Page 3 | FerrariChat

48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by DaveO_48, Dec 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Good for you. I live in CA, so it would be just too much trouble. I am glad a "Ferrariguy" got it.

2. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...life is a box of chocolate, every car a new adventure!

3. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    Congratulations! Really looking forward to hearing your impressions.

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I'm thrilled that you bought it. You'll have to take it all apart and tell us what all the mods were.

Have the brakes been uprated at all?

Aidan

5. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...i'll let you know once I take it apart :)

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Great job, please keep us up to date!

7. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    I was sorely tempted to bid, as I think many probably were! But no, I have not seen the car in the flesh. I bet it's a real hoot of a sleeper. Enjoy it!!
    Before I bring anything new home I really need to clean house first, sell something.

8. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    #58 Jagbuff, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    ..sadly this car is part of an estate, the owner was an attorney/judge that decided to make this a project and seldom drove the car spending more time modifying it. He was a car guy with several exotics, including an XJ220, but was terminally ill and passed away in May last year. Apparently he did not get to enjoy the car that much though was very liberal with spending money on it.

"Interestingly" for me, this the second ferrari car in the last three years that I end up buying from an estate unbeknownst to me, the other was a TR with 11K miles, owned by an attorney (who past away at 44 yo of a terminal disease coincidence - yikes!) that rarely drove it but spent a small fortune maintain it...I kept it for a while but was heavy and not much fun to drive, went through a set of rear tires drifting it on the track (sorry please don't call the antique car protection agency)...drove it as it was meant to be driven, sold it to make space in garage, ran great. Last I heard it was back in hibernation and have covered less than 1000 pampered miles in three years...

BTW, I plan to use this one as a DD if as presented...

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1

F -- Sometimes I also think that you are the sanest person in the room (and couldn't agree more with your thought in the other thread)!

10. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ..Steve, as you have figured out, I am a kid at heart and often behave accordingly. Hope that we get to connect in the near future!

11. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    The car is stunning.

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #62 samsaprunoff, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just tracking the cars...

48611 is now on Ebay.

Cheers,

Sam

Ferrari : Other Twin Turbo

VIN: ZFFEB06B000048611
    Mileage: 4,766

Current Bid: $25000 USD (Starting - 0 Bids)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    looks familiar...

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    That was in Austin. I met the then owner. I was told it sold. Guess not. I had issues. AC does not work any better than standard. That claim of better is pure BS

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
  16. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    what constitutes a rural address? Anyplace to find that out??

17. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...really?

18. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    maybe not. since I do not know the serial number. there could be multiple Ferrari having the same treatment

19. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    So what's the story? How/why did this seller get it?
    I was tempted before.

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    this is the same car. Austin seller was a dealer and could not find a buyer at his price. he market has improved big time. especially in Europe.

21. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Not accurate Mitchell, let me provide the facts about the car and my ownership.

I bought this car two Christmasago (over 18 months ago) out of curiosity after seeing on eBay since I already have a normal 400iA which I felt to be underwhelming in terms of performance. I bought it sight unseen. It was a personal purchase as with all the cars that I have and usually keep for several years. I negotiated the price off eBay, once it was delivered, it wasn't exactly as presented and ended up doing the front suspension, interior, all the hoses, firmware upgrade on the ECU, replacing the tires, full fluid change etc...the list goes on. I am very fastidious and despite all that the car didn't do for me primarily because of the automatic transmission which doesn't quite work with the turbos despite the ECU being slaved to the TCU...We tried some reprogramming but never got what we wanted. This went on for about 6 months before I could really drive the car.

Since I have several personal cars, and not much space (only 6 car garage between my house and office), I stored it at the used car dealership that I bought into in June last year along with my other 400i, and 360CS (big expensive mistake that I am still paying for)...quickly the internet trolls reported it as being for sale...Since it wasn't my cup of tea, decided to run with it and put it on eBay for extra exposure. I sold it for $45K to someone in Brazil who subsequently realized that he could not bring into the country so the deal fell through - kept the non refundable deposit :) Tried again, and cancelled the auction because of all the tire kickers and decided to hang on to it. I believe around that time I spoke with Mitch who expressed interest in seeing the car since he was in Austin, but that never materialized since he had other obligations.

Out of the blue I get a call from a car guy in Florida who saw the car on BAT and says he wants the car and plans do a manual conversion (good idea). He offered me $40K which I took. The car was delivered and he proceeded to rebuilt the rear suspension as it sags over night (didn't bother me). Within a couple of months he calls me back asking whether I would be interested to buy it back because he needs some liquidity for a investment. I offered him a decent price to which he agreed to that allowed me to make a decent profit. Requested his bank wiring instruction...radio silent - don't hear anything for 2 weeks. In the interim my wife decides to buy a new house (with a tiny garage) so when he reconnects with me I tell him it is a little too late....I presume that he opted to consign it or outright sell it to a dealer.

Bottom line, the car is an interesting bird, a fair amount of money has been invested to get it to where it is, what kills it is the automatic transmission (just like my other 400i), it desperately needs a manual transmission to harvest to power from the turbo and make it drivable. It is a solid car I would have it right now had the buyer/seller not snoozed. I am not sure what they want for it, but I have over $60k of invoices (from the prior owner) for the engine rebuild and conversion.

As for me being a dealer...well yes, I landed into that space last year at great expense (and regrets) as I naively thought it would allow me to avoid registration fees and add flexibility to my somewhat flippant car tastes...expensive lesson where I could have bought this 400TT several times over...still I have the paper showing the license, but the business is all but gone!

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I did not intend to mislead. sorry. that was the impression I left Austin with. the dealer is asking $85,000

23. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess that the lesson learned is that a good way to make a small fortune is to invest a large fortune in a twin turbo Ferrari 400iA.

Glad you made the old college try though!

24. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    After what, like a year plus being on eBay without selling (?), I guess the owner finally gave in and is liquidating it at this weekend's Barrett-Jackson auction in West Palm Beach with no reserve. I have seen the car in person before and sadly, does not even closely resemble the condition illustrated in the pics from when this thread was started in 2013. Should be interesting - being sold for so long likely means deferred maintenance, among other issues the new seller will have to deal with.

1984 FERRARI 400I CUSTOM TWIN TURBO - 194898

25. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Interesting! I'm curious as to how it turns out :D