48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by DaveO_48, Dec 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    Ok, here's a message I received from the seller:

"Hi, So sorry about the illegible characters at the beginning of the previous message, the ECU used is the widely available Mega Squirt. The physician that did all the work is Greg Armstrong of Historic Race Engineering, ie the same shop did the Engine, Transmission, Turbo install, steering and A/C upgrades. The Turbos have each an internal waste gate controlled by the computer that runs fuel system. Gearing is around 2000 rpm at 70. To know more about Greg, please google Greg Armstrong Lamborghini.
    Karl,"

The ecu is common enough. At the time I was researching aftermarket engine management I don't think MegaSquirt made an ecu that could handle 12 cylinders. Maybe dual ecu's running 6 each?

Over on BaT we figured out that the transmission is a GM 4L60E. See the following link for info on its gearing, size and how to identify it:

Automatic Transmission Identification

Anyone making a bid?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Said the crazy man ;) (Just kidding Franck -- but, seriously, I've seen piles of bitsa in your garage that proves that you have major project-sized cahones compared to the rest of us.)

The value of the coachwork/interior condition has to be a plus, and the (present) unknown condition of the engine internals is a variable so huge that "fair $ value" is as yet undeterminable. My only complaint (so far) is the aesthetics of the underbonnet modifications -- they may be the best technical components available, but the red ducting and the red/blue hose fittings have to go (and maybe the SS braided hose, plus I'd take a close look at the mountings/style of the aftermarket ignition and injection components -- not easy to do this without seriously clashing with the stock underbonnet design motif). I'd want my twin turbo 400i to look like a twin turbo 400i that was special-ordered from the F factory, and not a franken-hybrid of stylish GT cruiser meets Asian Autocrosser - JMO (but if someone forgot to buy me a Xmas present -- yes, I'd accept this ;)).

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I wonder what a 400i would run with the FI and ignition systems and without the turbos.

4. AustinLSE

AustinLSE Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Riverton NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Are they the old Trx tyres? No mention of brake upgrade either. With more power and spending 40k on upgrades why stay with 30 year old tyre tech? I hope the keen eyed can tell me I'm wrong there. Looks to be lowered as well to my amateur eye..

5. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    In Atlanta Ed Senf is the man for this . He is tuning out of balanced performance in sugar hill

6. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    MegaSquirt can indeed handle 12 cylinders. One of the selling points of MS is that it can handle anything from a 2-stroke single cylinder lawnmower through a multi-plug V12. I have a small amount of experience with MS (I built and run a DIYPNP Megasquirt computer in my supercharged Mazda Miata) but am not an expert. MegaSquirt in this car should actually increase the potential buyer's comfort because it is a modern system that many, many tuners are familiar with and is easy to tune.

7. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...OK guilty as charged, though one of my more fun projects was a Norwood 308/288 GTO replica with frame stretched and correct engine orientation, twin turbo water to air intercoolers and Motec system...loads of fun but a handful when boost kicked in...currently wrestling an Alpine GTA turbo that I just imported under the 25 year rule, BAT is a terrible influence ;) This 400i is VERY intriguing since the stock is not exactly my cup of tea, if the price is right.... (must resist at all cost!!!)

8. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    never heard of his shop but hey I do not play in this arena, Doc

9. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Great looking car! If sorted, don't toch a thing and drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I saw this car yesterday and I love it!! Car is gorgeous and looks like its fairly well sorted. I'd buy it and drive the heck out of it!

11. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    4re308: Info/pics?

12. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    This is an encouraging way to start the new year: sold on 12/31/13 for $34,734.00. Ferrari Other Leather | eBay. ($34,734.00? Someone was really fine tuning the amounts of his bids, wasn't he?) $35,000 for a very nice looking '84 auto, with the extensive engine and exhaust mods, on *eBay*, is a very solid price. Could this market finally be going somewhere?

On the other hand, this being an eBay sale, we must wait a bit to see whether it's relisted or not; that is, does the sale actually close.

13. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    Someone paid the cost of the mods and got the car for free

14. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I am dying to hear more info on the mods.

15. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anyone here?

16. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I sniped it but my max bid was $34,634 so it went to the other bidder - no second chance offers from the dealer (yet) so looks like it might have sold. Would have been a cool addition to stable...

17. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    possible developments...

18. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    do tell?

19. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I noticed that n***3, Ebay buyer, had zero feedback count. It said in the listing anyone with lower than 20 on feedback score had to contact seller before bidding. Was there a problem there?

20. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...first time ebay buyer, I guess, lots of interest prior close and change their mind when they win...

21. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    At the end was it you and the winner or others too?
    Smells of a shill if so.
    Good luck, the car sounds very interesting

22. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    The seller mentioned in the listing he had a 0 feedback bidder, East coast collector, contact him to be approved to bid. He identified his ebay name but we can't see it in the bidders' list as we aren't the listing's seller. Anyways, probably a legit buyer.

I'd of liked to have that car too.

23. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Yes the seller apparently backed out because he was interested in another car. Not shill but messes things up for real buyers... Doug, did you look at the car?

24. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...well I couldn't help myself and went ahead and bought it :) (Steve please don't laugh) I figured that it's a pretty cool car that is still not too technical that it requires special equipment (SD2 on up). The MegaSquirt is a pretty common platform and having cut my teeth on Motecs, I should be able to handle. The transmission is GM sourced (Corvette) with programmable shift points, so playing around with that should be fun.

I like the improvements made, paid a little more than I wanted but life is short and you can never have too many cars... I will post pics and impressions once it gets delivered.

25. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Assuming the car has no surprises (hah!) this is truly an optimized 400i. All three of the things most lacking in the original -- power/torque, overdrive, and decent air conditioning -- seem to be covered. The 12 ought to rev like it's supposed to, with adequate power to get the weight moving. And the rubber burning!