#45913 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Jun 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 Ashman, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Similar to this tool/medical kit, although it looks as though I might be missing something on the left side of the medical kit?

I think that the interior is a mess, with the brown dash, red carpets and cream (not tan) colored seats.

What a shame that the car has been driven only 6,000 miles.

I hope that he gets the asking price immediately!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Your kit is one of the ones I was talking about :)

I also hope he gets the asking price!

4. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    That is an eye-poppingly beautiful time capsule of a car. But a $46,000 opening bid, that's wildly optimistic.

My '83 400i also has a brown leather dash. I will call it "special" too from now on.

Windshield wipers "parked" in the middle of the glass hint at all the fun you can have owning a 29 year old car that's got only 6,000 miles on it.

12/41 gear ratio works out to 3.42:1. I thought standard for 5-spds is 4.3:1.

I am glad to learn the name of this color: rosso nearco. My '83 is the same color and newbie that I am I could not find a reference to a non-metallic red other than rosso corsa.

5. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a good catch. The stock rear end on the 5 speeds would provide faster acceleration than the taller 3.42 ratio. That ratio is the stock ratio for the automatic transmission cars.

Now the question is why a car with only 6,000 miles would have a differential changed that would provide for slower acceleration?

Answers could include:

a. It is a mistake and the seller read the owner's manual wrong, although the comment about that ratio being a special order and providing "faster acceleration" would argue against that.

b. The original "special custom specifications from the factory for an old friend of Enzo Ferrari" is true but the rear end ratio was ordered in order to increase top speed on the Mulsanne Straight, not to make for faster acceleration.

c. Most or all of those 6,000 miles were put on the car 1/4 mile at a time at the drag strip and the original diff got blown up.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LOL

7. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #7 koisokok, Jun 23, 2012
    You know i wait for the days of the 400 to shine, money wise i do not see the $46k starting price.. When will the market catch up to this wonderful car? I see the TR and countach taking off in price, but the 400 just gets no respect..One day soon i hope. :) I sure do miss mine.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you have the proper kidney shaped tool bag like that flip it over and it fits perfectly inside the spare wheel.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    That is a true statement. The autos had a 3.0:1.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Well, you need to pick one up before the price goes up.

11. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #11 koisokok, Jun 23, 2012
  12. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
  13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #13 samsaprunoff, Jun 24, 2012
    Good day All,

Just completing the documentation for future reference.

Cheers,

Sam

1980 400i 5-Speed
    Color: Rosso Nearco Exterior with Tan Interior
    Mileage: 6000 Miles
    VIN: ZFFEB07B000045913
    Chassis: 45913
    Ebay Starting Bid: $46000 USD (0 Bids currently)

14. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    I think, that car on display ist not a 1980 model, judging from the interior, the factory started to build the 400-series in this manner from late 1982 on. Regards-e

15. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Any vintage aircraft buffs know what is that incredible polished aluminum prop plane in the background of the first photo?

Also, the eBay listing does identify the 400i as an '83, in a kind of subheading below the subject line. I wonder if the eBay software prevented the seller from stating the correct year in the subject line.

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    For starters, the 12/41 rear is the crown & pinion ratio for the 5 speed...period!
    From my understanding, speed in Italy & other high speed european countries of that era means top speed. Only in 'speed strangled' America does speed mean 0-60 perf..
    Btw, Quick = 0 to 60, Fast = Top end
    The truth is that the Series 2 has 5 HP over the Series 1 (315 HP vs. 310 HP). I mean I guess I should say the "advertised" hp from the factory. :p
    It appears that the photos were taken inside a garage, I believe the interior/seats are tan but were white washed out from the flash of the camera.
    European specs?! :D BAWAHAHAHA :D (as Dave would yell out!), I didn't know that there was anything other. Things like fog / daylight flashing lights varied between countries, & I think that rear fogs might not have been legal (the US for sure, but that didn't seem to be caught when federalized), but that's it (correct me if I'm wrong).
    The first aid kit is an unusual occurence / collectable...& from my expreience, you can't warehouse bandaides. The stick-um won't hold after a decade or so.
    I'm curious what the "custom specifications by Ferrari factory" are. :confused:
    An '83 Series 2 for sure, it's just that e-bay typically doesn't accept the VIN on these.
    Boy, am I glad I have the "dashboard specially made in brown leather"...that's got to be Huge! :cool:
    Good catch on the wipers Bill!

17. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #17 Ashman, Jun 24, 2012
    Are you sure about that? Owner's Manual and all documentation I have seen says 10/43 which, in U.S. parlance is 4.30/1.00.

The ad very clearly states that the "special" rear end ratio was installed for "better acceleration". This is clearly incorrect as moving to taller gears reduces acceleration but will provide a higher top speed, as long as the engine has the power so that it can maintain the higher revs.

18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

19. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Does anyone know what those 2 round cylinders in the forward left engine area are for??