458 values/trends | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 values/trends

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joe P., Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think
    Agreed. The high mileage cars are still asking like $50K+ premiums over the high mileage 430. I'd say there's $10K/year of depreciation left in them for the next 4-5 years.

2. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    I’m looking at 2010’s with 10-13k miles on average...not resale red ansell cars with no stories/good options. I think private party inventory is low right now and dealers are asking more than the cars are actually selling for.

3. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    My dealer has sold 4/5 458s since I bought mine from them in August. Seems fairy healthy numbers and strong asking prices.

There seems to have been a few £k drop over the last few weeks but I think that's seasonal.

My dealer told me today not to buy the FF I was eying in the showroom as he wants to get my 458 back next year when it still has under 10k miles; he said the FF will have dropped another 30k by next summer and he'd expect my car to not lose a penny between now and then.

I always take what these guys say with a pinch of salt but still, it was an interesting conversation.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Was at the dealer a week ago and they had a very nice Ferro FF on the floor but he said it was sold and mentioned they could. It keep FFs in stock because they will turn around quickly.

Seems folks know about them.

SV

5. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Sooo true....and in their mind, they try to say the 911R has a "different soul than the .2 GT3". Eyeroll..The .2 GT3 is better in every way over the R with the old 4.0L, old everything...

dustman and iloveferrari like this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    And people with the attention span of a person with ADD jacked up on crack and RedBull can’t appreciate the nuance of an era that passes. They crave every new toy, compare idiotic performance numbers on cars they haven’t 1/10th the ability to achieve. All in a pathetic peacock feather display to try and establish place in a societal pecking order.

Older cars carry something special, a ghost of something before. The real thing is though they are fixed in time and don’t change, except to age with the owner, develop that special patina, and rekindle memories.

The prices vintage cars of all kinds command tells the story in full.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The funny this is that the "last of" with cars is not like the "last of" with consumables. It's not like the last chance to experience something.

Love NA engines? Well there are thousands of Ferraris with great sounding NA engines for sale. Like manuals? There are thousands of Ferraris with manuals for sale.

Who cares if the last NA engine is the technically the best NA engine? In 2040, are you really going to be talking about how amazing the 458 Speciale engine is? I mean, I don't hear anyone today talking about how amazing the engine is in a $25M Ferrari from 1960 even though it was surely the last of the something...

3POINT8 and Motorwerks like this.
  8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ...then you’re not listening.

Avia11, Cigarzman and Ash Patel like this.
  9. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    We all can stop depreciation.
    If each of us 458 owner offer our Cars to 300k and more than this is the new price.

schwoo likes this.
  10. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Let me know how that works for you .

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    For some diehard lunatics like myself, that won't make the cut. I need my 458 more in my life than I need 300k right now in my bank account.

Value has a funny way about it and the market isn't all nicely balanced and rational. I've wrote somewhere else that there's a difference between a fast car and a special car. A special car's impact will have a large fan base and an enthusiasm that doesn't wear off over time. A fast car will also have a large fan base, but it will tend to wear off in a more pronounced fashion or disappear, namely as more modern and faster cars replace it.

The 360 is faster than a 355. Yet, you'll see owners, prospective owners and the market hugely prefering the 355.
    The 348 is an improvement, a more modern and faster car than a 328. Yet, look at the 328 values vs. 348 values on the market.
    The F40 was the last Ferrari launched while Enzo Ferrari was still alive. Considering it's a car that usually sells for more than 1 million, being the last of something actually matters it seems, albeit more in some cases than others.
    The Testarossa isn't all that fun to drive in my humble opinion, but because it represents an era (both in terms of pop culture, economics, sociology, you name it), its value is higher than other much sportier Ferraris.

I feel you've made valid points, Mike. Don't think for a second that because I'm not in complete agreement with you that I think otherwise. I just think it's really hard to make a general rule out of all of this, and I fail to see one insurmountable reason why the 458 across all of its variants can't be cherised and valued by the market and perform better than other better, faster cars. General rules, namely when it comes to italian exotic super sports cars, are full of holes and exceptions that defy logic. I still believe the 458 is a strong candidate for appreciation in the future, because it's not just the last of something, it has very nice design and mechanical attributes. The California is a milestone car for Ferrari, with a lot of firsts in the history of Maranello's brand, but I can't see it being worth anything in 20-30 years. So many variables to consider today, let alone in 30 years, that it's anyone's guess!

Kindest regards Mike and all,

Nuno.

Bundy, Roland1688, tekaefixe and 9 others like this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    One of the finest posts I've seen on Ferrarichat. Well said Sir!

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think that's what some are trying here (at a slightly more sensible level ;) ) but for the price to be real there is also the need for buyers.

14. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    We dont want to sell
    We All want to Hold The price high

Melvok likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    There seem to be enough 458 buyers …. still … :)

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The 458 is a stunner and a timeless beauty. Performance is good enough. I believe they will hold their values very well over time for many reasons. As great as the 488 is I would prefer a 458 and for me it would be a keeper regardless of depreciation or appreciation.

xfrgtr and italiafan like this.
  17. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    I got my first Ferrari (458 Italia) 2 months ago. It seems to me that the topic of depreciation is way more top of mind for Ferrari’s that other brands. Is it because it is expected that a Ferrari will depreciate less than others or does it reflect the typical persona of Ferrari owners?

Most people care about money (including myself) and it’s a valid point of discussion, especially for expensive cars but Ferrari owners tend to be more interested in this topic than most other exotic owners. And I don’t mean to only include people on this Forum but many new Ferrari friends I have met recently.

Why is that? Thanks in advance for making my education!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    I don't see it that way at all, actually the opposite - there's one McLaren forum I visit for example that is absolutely dominated by value discussion. In similar Ferrari forums of course it still comes up, but if there's a pattern, I'd say it appears less with Ferrari owners than similar brands, not more.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The talk of depreciation is top of mind with Ferrari more so than any other brand primarily I think because in the past values held well and with the LE's appreciated. This hasnt been the case for a while now and I think new buyers are curious about the market. For McLaren it is mostly prospective buyers and/or certain people who want to criticize the brand. People who own these cars, drive and enjoy them know better. With this in mind there are certain cars that will do better than others over time. AI think the 458 is one of them.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Truth is, there has been a bubble in Ferrari valuations in 2014-2016; before that the mass produced Ferrari were depreciating a lot.
    Now that things are going back to normal people with short memories are shocked.

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    When all is said and done, I believe the 458 will go down as one of the greatest and most beautiful Ferraris ever made. While the 488 is faster and more modern, I believe it will simply go down as its successor.

dustman and Gh21631 like this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If the 458 and 488 end up being considered the same car (which they are, more or less), there could be an advantage for the most accomplished one.
    The 512TR is just the successor of the iconic testarossa, but today it's more valued as the most accomplished.
    Now in case of the 458/488, there are today some turbo haters (most of them 458 owners :D ) who argue in favour of the 458, but in the end I believe there will not be much difference.
    Today a 360 Modena and a F430 could be very close in price, maybe when the F430 was introduced many 360 owners were despising the F430 for the lack of 5-valve engine, but in the end they are considered very similar.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    NA vs turbo will always be significant, especially the last NA.

xfrgtr, plastique999 and Morgan72301 like this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Same car?
    They aren’t.

xfrgtr likes this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Regardless of turbo vs NA, the 458 just looks and sounds so darn good. I remember staring at a picture of one when first introduced and still feel the same way today.

xfrgtr likes this.