458 -v- F8 Tributo | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 -v- F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Michael Petersen, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #51 Shadowfax, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Firstly was not addressing you - was responding to coincid who was putting the bentley comparison back into play. Funny thing - although i guess you wont find it funny - was that i came across a vid a week or so back on f8 with a dude specifically saying the f8 felt and sounded basically the same as a bentley. Will dig it up for you if you like - was from over your way USA.

Ps for coincid. 600 is a much sharper tool and a better reference point as a real drivers car imho.
    Perf is like 458 with the more emotional atmo engine but so far as the rest of the driving experience goes i’d be surprised if you didn’t find 600 the more exciting, connected and compelling knowing what you seem to be looking for. I’d seriously check it out.
    If it wasn’t for my Pista allocation coming through i was going to buy one.

tekaefixe likes this.
  2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Doesn't sound like any review I have ever heard of with a Bentley.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a32704586/2020-ferrari-f8-tributo-us-drive/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_cdb&utm_medium=email&date=053020&utm_campaign=nl20172934

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If the review your speaking of is that awful exotic car hacks youtube channel don't bother. That guy is barely literate. Complete shock jock style. Contradicts himself multiple times in videos. He's a joke.

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Car and Driver Magazine?

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was directing that to Shadow.

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Gotcha!

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Shadow is a knowledgable car guy and I enjoy his posts. But this incessant reference to the Bentley is undermining his credibility and is clearly not based on logic but rather, with the exception of his Pista, his newly developed animosity towards Ferrari.

Drson likes this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #58 Shadowfax, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Coincid....

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/9r1pt2d1slpk

Forget 458 and F8. This one (600) is you.
    No. Vid was just home made from a couple of prospective buyers given the F8 to drive . Will dig it up when i get time and post it. One of the dudes was expressing his thoughts how much it reminded him of a Bentley the way it drove so civilised and sounded the same. His words....but echoes my thoughts as well. I thought it was way way too civilised and muted for a car like this without any sign of rawness anywhere. Very uncharacteristic for a Ferrari of this nature imo. If it didnt have the accereration it would be no more exciting than a camry. Jump into a 600 and you wouldnt go near the F8 its so bland to drive in comparison. Ferrari has lost the plot. Theres more to stirring the senses than just offering acceleration....like a Tesla with an overly muffled v8 under the hood. Although to be fair it handled a lot better.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Need to get that thing out there. You cant take it with you and your kin are likely to drive the **** out of it when you are gone.

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Those 600LTs can be purchased 2nd hand for a song.

Shadowfax likes this.
  11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If the 4C fits the purpose I have for the 458 better than yes the 458 will be sold. Remember to me there is no emotion involved just a machine. I have no feelings for it, do not think it has a soul, nor does it make me feel anything. I do think that if you are going to spend 100's of thousands on a machine it should not be something you just look at (art is a better purchase), and if you are afraid to drive any car for any reason you should not buy it. I do not understand things from your emotional views, so it is very simple to me. Everything has a purpose, get the best thing (whether it is a coffee maker, a car, or a lawn mower) that fits that purpose you can afford. Simple

12. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    If the Performante is your standard, the F8 is not for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    And yet, I am thrilled and gobsmacked by the F8. It offers a very different driving and aesthetic approach to the Performante, and I am enamoured by both. Until you push the F8 and drive it in Race - manual mode, you will conclude that it is excessively tame, but it is much more than that. I simply love everything about the F8 and my preference is decidedly weighted to visceral driving dynamics.

jim g likes this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Many commodities, like appliances, tools etc are designed to fulfill a specific purpose. A coffee maker, for example, is created to make tasty coffee and in a convenient manner. Most automobiles are a means of transportation and so long as it gets its occupants from point A to B in a safe and convenient manner, successfully accomplishes its mandate. However, the intended purpose of a super car, is multi dimensional and multi purposeful. Anyone who spends the price of a middle class home on a car that simply transports its occupant to a given destination, is foolishly wasting their money. An exotic automobile appeals to every human sense, desire and emotion. Super cars are a visual delight. They are rolling works of art. The simple act of gazing upon the car creates an inner glow. The feel of sitting in the cabin, with its rich array of scents and the tactile feel of the buttons, controls, steering wheel and the manner in which your body forms into the seat is a uniquely invigorating experience. And ultimately there is the paramount visceral intensity of driving your magnificent machine. When you test its limits and the car comes alive like a semi dormant lion. The rush of adrenaline cursing through your body, grins appear on your face, the heart pounds with excitement and an overal euphoric sensation invades your being. It is for all these reasons, that a super car will always be in my possession. Without them, life is missing a fundamental ingredient in the cornupia which comprise a satisfying and complete existence.

buddyg and VAF84 like this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Exactly. Not only is it considerably more visceral but it's also half the price used, and the few new ones still left are hugely discounted. It's a great car and a proper deal. Looks sensational as well. As i said if I didn't have a Pista it was my fallback. F8 is a beautiful car but it's massively overpriced considering the savage beating in store.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Many on this forum have either received their F8, while others have them on order waiting for delivery. Your unrelenting negativity about the car and your ad nausem posts about the massive depreciation awaiting owners, is not only not edifying, they have now become mean spirited. Your condescending criticism of the F8 was abundantly clear after your intial 10 posts. There is ZERO necessity of continuing to beat the old, tired, repetitive drum.

Dicecal likes this.
  17. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Hes a meanie, but dont cry, all children will get an ice cream!

Shadowfax likes this.
  18. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    Good for you then. I also drove it in Race and Manual (is there any other way to test drive it?). We have different standards for “visceral driving dynamics “... I would have used the word “assisted” instead of “visceral”. But there is nothing bad with the F8, it’s a fantastic car. It’s all about what each of us likes and wants. You seem to be a lambo guy. Do you own a Ferrari at the moment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shadowfax likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #69 Coincid, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    I have for decades been a Porsche guy. Then got bored and owned an F430 then moved to Lambos. Did not have any interest in owning the 458 or 488. Renewed Ferrari interest with the Pista which I could not receive an allocation. So ordered the F8. I change cars very often. With the odd exception, I rarely keep a car out of warranty.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Keep in mind you were basically dragging me back into this conversation with your Bentley references - as others have also done - so I felt the need to further validate my experience as it suited some to continually ridicule my experience and opinion on the F8. I am entitled to my opinion like anyone else here and, as has been the case with others when someone else seeks to ridicule their opinion they too have also found the tendency to validate their thoughts and opinions in defense against others who may disagree.

I understand you are yoked to your F8 deal and also understand your need to continually validate your own opinion on it but when it comes to suggesting I don't know what I'm talking about then you can only blame yourself for dragging me back into the conversation - to validate as everyone else is equally guilty of at times. Not that validating is a crime anyway especially when the opinion is being questioned or ridiculed. So as the saying goes - it takes two to tango Coincid. It isn't as if I am deliberately going out of my way to rain on the parade.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    How low can they go ?

Sent from my 16M

22. Patrick4er

Patrick4er Rookie

Dec 29, 2017
    MILWAUKEE, WI
    Full Name:
    Patrick Forrer
    I made that mistake when I owned the first 458. It was my first Ferrari and I was so scared of the miles. Most of which were on the track to be honest.

With the Speciale now, I drive it much more frequently and enjoy it almost daily. Don’t trailer it to the track like I used to. I know most Speciales sit in a garages but if you were considering an F8 or a used Speciale in a similar price range then Speciale all day. One could argue it will depreciate less also. Who knows where the F8 will go but I am worried it will have a similar fate to the 488. The Pista looks and performs better and Ferrari made a lot of them. Only 3000 speciales, with probably only 1000 in the US. Not limited, but not bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tekaefixe likes this.
  23. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    This! You *******!

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Cars like the 600LT are what kill the Mclaren brand resale values. Even if it's great, they should resist.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #75 Shadowfax, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Not sure if I agree here. But I would agree all manufacturers need to resist - not just Mclaren.

Mclaren has less models than Ferrari, Porsche, Bmw Merc etc. 600 was released at a time when economic conditions took a turn for the worse and competitors were dumping new models out faster than ever before and in larger volumes. This practice has set off unprecedented depreciation levels amongst all of these expensive mainstream models leaving most with the thought the cars were way overpriced to begin as the used market is clearly not there to absorb the vast numbers least of all able/prepared to pay an acceptable used price commensurate with the new price paid given the time and mileage held for most of these cars. Covid has now only made matters even worse...if that was possible.

As a car the 600 model appeared destined for success until the world economy had gone past the tipping point and was making a turn for the worse. Just look at the volumes of Ferrari's for sale now and the depreciation levels of their cars. It's incredible. Realistically the 600 isn't doing all that bad going by some of the prices I've seen Ferrari's being sold and traded for. What's even more of a concern is the continuation of the ridiculously high retail prices which are clearly way too high given what the same car will be worth not long after it leaves the shop floor. This is not a sustainable business model for anyone (dealer, buyer or reseller). Something will need to give at one point either at the new retail pricing end or, the volume and models will need to come right back. The huge selection of used near new high end cars available for sale on the used market is becoming so broad it is glaringly obvious the used market is simply not large enough least of all made up of buyers wealthy enough to absorb these volumes, least of all return an acceptable price to the original new buyer. It's really become a buyers market now for new and used, and the discounting of these ridiculously high retail prices has only occurred because most buyers are now wide awake to what's happening at the used car end - as in HUGE depreciation just to shift the car on.

So on today's scale, to line up for any main stream model that isn't being heavily discounted or open to decent price negotiation - unless it is particularly special or limited in volume - is financial suicide.

PA Wolfpacker likes this.