458 Sticky Refinishing..... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

458 Sticky Refinishing.....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dave rocks, Aug 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  2. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    great work, so glad i dont need mine yet..

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a video laser etching the 458 / California parking brake control :)

johnr265, MANDALAY and boogie like this.
  4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Pardon the crappy cell phone picture but I wanted to show that we now have Rosso color match complete which brings us to somewhere around 15+ stock colors in house.

Refinished trim and buttons ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. HKMC168

HKMC168 Rookie

Nov 12, 2018
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    MC Chan
  6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a coating comparison of new OEM Soft Touch (top) and our hard touch (lower, headlight control assembly)

I'd say the color is a perfect match yet ours will never fail and get sticky :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

HKMC168 and MANDALAY like this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The work you do looks unreal. Definitely a master. Hope I don't need to use your services a late 2018 488 GTB , no offense . But certainly the place to go.

Great work !!!

sampelligrino and Dave rocks like this.
  9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Angelo :) I think you are safe for a bit but I hate to break the bad news, it's just a matter of time.

MANDALAY and LARRYH like this.
  10. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Hey guys, I am about to do my entire interior for the sticky surfaces/buttons issue. This application looks incredible as does the Sticky no more but why is Dave banned? I'm confused and this is a chunk of change to spend on cosmetics. Any advice?

11. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Go with Dave and never look back. I'm not saying that the companies who offer refinishing are bad and my comments should not be taken that way. I'm just VERY picky and I found that Dave meets/exceeds my expectations.

Robert Collins likes this.
  12. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    Dave’s work is top notch, you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. derekfertig

derekfertig Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Derek Fertig
    Hey guys, new here as I just bought my 458. Local dealership is recommending company called StickyNoMore. Anyone have experience with this company?

14. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I used Sticky No More some yrs. ago when I had my 360 & before I even knew about Daves Shop. Sticky no More was very good,efficient, got my parts back on time to perfection, no issues! Now with the 458 some parts are beginning to degrade & I must make some decisions as there is no way I have the abilities to disassemble the 458 dash,remove,send & reassemble. This week I'm meeting with a Independent Ferrari Shop here in Central Fl. to remove all coated parts for reconditioning, but have not decided who will refinish as both companies do excellent work. Guess it will boil down to quoted prices. I have both red & black parts.

15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Dave's handle shows as 'Banned' but more accurately he had a disagreement with the moderators some time back and decided to stop sponsoring the site. The banner of banned should not be confused with a company that in any way is in trouble or has done anything bad.

Regarding re-finishing there are 2 main players in the market and they each have their benefits.

Sticky No More - A little less expensive and generally shorter turn around times. That said their processes are much more limited and as such the quality of surface finish is below even the OEM level and their markings are done with stick on labels. Much better than gooey OEM bits and probably ok for a car you're flipping. Most people who say their work is perfect is because they have not seen the other option which is significantly better.

Sticky RX - This company has invested heavily in testing, equipment, and people with an eye towards creating a superior finish and customer experience. This comes at a slightly higher cost and their increased QC processes can lead to longer production times. The result is a better quality finish that is much more durable than OEM.

Shopping by price is not appropriate because the two options offer different service qualities and it is up to the customer to decide if they want 'perfect' or 'better than before'. At least the option is out there which is nice for the consumer.

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Well said.

18. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Thanks Nuvolari. I agree with everything you stated. I spoke with Dave at Sticky RX, and since I don't see myself ever selling this car (at least not for years to come) I went ahead and went with his solution. I want this car to be nothing but fantastic and a total joy to drive every time I get in it, so buyer's remorse is not an option. It's totally worth the extra money and time, but hopefully not too much more time...LOL.

Nuvolari and MANDALAY like this.
  19. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Anyone care to share a rough recollection of what refinishing on all the affected parts cost and most importantly what the turnaround time was with Sticky RX
    I'm thinking I'll disassemble and send everything out proactively before our summer vacation.
    I remember on my M5 if I parked outside in summer for lunch even with front and rear sunshades and window tint I could come back after an hour or two and some surfaces would have just liquified and I never used anything but a damp cloth to clean them. It's just an unfortunate experiment in trying to make plastic feel nice.

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Paying Dave and getting his magic done on the switches etc is a no brainer. The hardest thing is getting the pieces of the car. Not there yet to have this issue on my 488 GTB but does Dave offer instructions to remove the pieces ?

21. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    You know, I have had numerous BMW's, Porsche's and Mercedes', and I have never been exposed to this crap. I guess I should consider myself lucky. Fortunately, the 458 Spider is totally worth it, so I have no remorse and look forward to eliminating the problem for good.

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    Mandalay, given this is my first venture into "Ferrari-land", I did not want to risk messing up the leather on the dash myself. I had a friend with the same exact car and same exact problem who had his car returning from Foreign Cars Italia so I hopped a ride on the trailer back to FCI to have a certified Ferrari dealer take it apart for me and reassemble.

Let me first say that Stanley in their service department is a total badass and has been the most professional and courteous steward of my car to this point. He has been very helpful and does not charge a markup on third party vendors' work. Based on that, I am also fixing the headliner and the stereo speakers, because I think it is prudent to fix everything while the car is down and not being used.

I will report back all costs and charges after this experiment is over. Stanley at FCI is awesome, and so far Dave at Sticky RX is very straight-forward and matter of fact about his process.

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. derekfertig

derekfertig Rookie

Apr 27, 2021
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Derek Fertig
    How much are they charging to take apart/reassemble the dash and all pieces needed for refinishing?

24. Robert Collins

Robert Collins Karting

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert S. Collins III
    It was very reasonable basically went as far in as you could go, and it was around $2,000 total for labor. Again, not cheap, but if you are going to go all in to do this, I say do it right.

derekfertig likes this.
  25. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Please get it right if your going to make a statement about our work. We are able to retain the factory markings about 90% of the time, no need for laser etching, no need for overlays. We have never used a "stick on label"

Beezztie likes this.