458 Spider vibration issue (Part II) | FerrariChat

458 Spider vibration issue (Part II)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Petrolhead#32, Jul 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I've already posted about this issue before, but I just let it go for a while thinking I'd get used to it. Recently, I've noticed something new that I'd like to share and get your thoughts on.

Ever since I bought the car back in Oct'20 and since there weather here in NorCal is so awesome even in winter, I've driven it top up and down every other day, mixing it up all the time. So much so that I never spent more than 1-2 days going with top up or down. I always mix it up.

The last month, however, it's been pretty hot so I've driven top up pretty much every day, with the AC on and the back window down to hear the glorious engine. I actually noticed the car hardly vibrates at all and essentially rides very stable and I have hardly any issue. I almost simply forgot about it.

Then yesterday temperatures went down (70s, still super nice) and so I decided to go top down. This is when I noticed the BIG difference. It vibrates like crazy compared to driving top up. This is on freeway driving at 75 mph, going straight, not spirited or anything aggressive.

I know it sounds silly but again, in most of the previous months I've owned it I alternated top up and down pretty much on a daily basis and I simply couldn't relate the vibration issue to this. I kept thinking of tires, balancing, alignment, etc. But yesterday, after almost a whole month getting used to driving top up, I was finally able to clearly see the impact going top down makes.

I've read threads where this was discussed, so called flex and shake.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-italia-or-spider.616313/.

One thing is loss of rigidity which we all know of, but I simply am at awe that the spider would shake / vibrate so much more with top down. COULD THIS REALLY BE POSSIBLE??? Man that's just really disappointing for a driver like me, especially when my other baby is a mega planted, firm, stable yet very comfortable 991.2 GT3. Oh how I wish the 458 had suspension like my GT3's...

Thoughts and comments? Thx in advance.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well that's the nature of the 458. It wobbles and shakes its way down the road. The flex in the 458 Spider is BAD, there's no way around it. The 488 can still flex, but it is much improved over the 458.

I know some reviews stated that the Spider and Italia were almost the same, but they were LYING!

The only way to get it a bit better and keep the engine, is to get a 458 SA. It is not as stiff as a 488 Spider, but much improved.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Mine only shakes top down on bumpy roads. Driving on a smooth surface at all speeds, and whether twisty or straight makes no difference. Even under spirited driving. Cowl shake is limited to high frequency inputs (bumps).

Get your alignment checked. Could be a problem that is more noticeable with top down. Also check your engine and transmission mounts and drive train components. I’ll bet that’s where the issue lies.

Comments about less shake in the 488 are anecdotal and not supported by fact. That is, still an aluminum tub with near identical suspension components.

Petrolhead#32 and daflk like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not supported by fact. Lol.
    Have you driven a 488 Spider? The difference is significant to say the least.

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William

Fact would be tangible modification made to the chassis, frame or body - either in design, materials or reinforcement.

I’m not aware of any. I’m happy to be proven wrong as I’ve never had a 488.

6. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    i have had many 911 convertibles and other convertibles - i too bought a 458 last fall (covid present) - this is a 2015 - 5k miles. I drive open top most times living in so cal but when i put my top on on uneven roads the closure makes a loud click cause the frame is flexed - on flat surface it doesnt.

Jay leno said when he drives over his driveway curve in the mclaren spider he notice one of the wheels actually is elevated cause the frame is so rigid. my f car is the opposite of this. having said this....I DONT CARE - i love my fcar! creeky and flexing and all. i have my 911 gt3 touring for precision.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The first improvement was made to the 458 SA. That consisted of a bracing structure in the rear wall. This helped a bit.
    Then with the 488, it was revised with the front towers, the front firewall, the rear wall and rear frame structure.

But again, have you driven a 488 Spider?

8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No I haven’t (when I stated 488 above I meant the Spider). I’ve demo’d the F8 Spider and have one on order. Didn’t get a real opportunity to see how it stacks up to the 458, but that’ll come soon enough.

Thanks for the info - I don’t recall reading about these improvements and whether further refinements were made to the F8.

All other things being equal, in FL I’d always take a Spider over a coupe - except the inbound STO, which I’m hoping to track.

9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    That’s because your roof tolerances are a bit too tight.

There are micro switches up in the closing mechanism which are adjustable and will prevent the cracking (mine had that problem when opening). Don’t try it yourself unless you know what you’re doing. My man Bruce at Maranello Autosport took great care of me.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    When you get your F8, you will see a very significant difference. It's slightly better than the 488 still. You will enjoy it a lot, so good things to look forward to,

I'm very much a drop top guy myself, and on the F8 Spider bandwagon as well. A great car for sure.

When are you expecting yours to be delivered?

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Best guess is late this year. I’ve been telling folks it’ll arrive the same day as the SYO, I just know it. Gonna be like buying a house that day, lol…….

Petrolhead#32 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I had 2 coupes and 2 spiders and 488 spider, the latter was a huge improvement in rigidity.

The 458 spider had very, very bad flex. Enough that I got rid of them twice, despite loving the sounds and open top experience.

Top up was certainly better but still noticeable shimmy thru the wheel.

13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    It’s bad… one of the reasons for me to sell mine. On the market for a F8 Spider.

14. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Thx everyone for your comments. Greatly appreciate it. I walk away with the obvious fact that the 458S is definitely not as rigid and shakes quite a bit with top down. That's disappointing, but I can certainly live with it, at least for now and since I bought it less than a year ago.

One last question for you all:

One thing is the lack of rigidity when going through bumps, etc. But another thing is the kind of vibration I get when driving straight at >70mph on freeways that are not perfectly paved and smooth surfaces. Again, just to clarify, my 458S drives like a charm with the top up in those freeways, but vibrates (steering wheel, mirrors and all around) on the exact same roads and conditions, when top is down.

Now is this still normal behavior for 458 Spiders, or do I still have some other issue? As wthensler suggested, alignment and engine and transmission mounts and drive train components? I tend to think that since I have no issues with top up, it must be a Spider issue. Period. Learn to live with it and stop whining...

15. Troy Slinkard

Troy Slinkard Rookie

Dec 26, 2018
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I've been following this thread and I don't get it. My 2013 spider doesn't vibrate or shake with top down. Driving on a busy, rough interstate at 70mph. ... it's solid. Over bumps, no shakes or rattles. Maybe I just got a good one.

16. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Same here: never at all felt this dramatic flexing, shaking or vibrations on my 2014 Spider.
    I can understand the feeling of flexing may depend on how hard one drives, how feeling one is, and mostly is relative to other cars one has driven, but vibrations... there must be something obvious wrong there. Very hard to put vibrations in relation with the open chassis construction of a convertible car, and never heard of.
    My opinion, as usual.

17. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Well if you drive slow it’s awful but it you drive fast you barely notice it, so drive fast.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You should definitely get it aligned. Ferraris are notoriously poorly aligned from the factory, and over time they get knocked out of alignment. Any shop with a Hunter alignment table can do it, and the 458, 488 and F8 are super easy to adjust. Nothing needs to be removed or taken apart. The adjustment points are accessible from underneath withoutvremoving any covers or the like. Let me know if you want the alignment specs.

Petrolhead#32 and RayJohns like this.
  19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My 458 (coupe) had some vibration around 65 MPH when I first bought it. I ended up doing a static balance on the wheels and also lowering the front of the car 15mm. The transformation was amazing. I think lowering the car helped the aerodynamics and perhaps helped to prevent as much air getting under the car at speed. The static balance on the wheels definitely smoothed things up and helped to eliminate 90% of the vibration around 65 MPH.

Keep in mind that those tire balancing machines usually are only within an ounce or so, while with a static balance you can get to within 2-3 grams typically. I'd also check your tire pressures and maybe play around with the pressure. That can sometimes have quite an impact on things as well. What pressures are you running currently?

Ray

20. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Thx once again everyone for your comments, and apologies for the late reply - been out for a few days. Here' the net, net:

I did lower the tire pressure (it was fairly high at around 33-35s) and it helped a bit.
    I will go to Custom Alignment in Mtn View to do the static balance soon.
    I also think I'm influenced by how the GT3 rides and the difference between the two. To DavisJ point, I just need to get over it and understand each car is how it is.
    Lastly, these last few days since I got back I've tested it in different surfaces and clearly the issue is most noticeable in not so smooth pavements. It's pretty much ok on nicely surfaced roads. Just gotta get used to it.

Tx again.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I had one 458s that was fine, and one that had the same vibrations at speed as you noted. They checked everything, was just the car and couldn’t be sorted. Didnt last in my stable very long. None of my coupes had that issue. The 488s was solid. I haven’t been in the F8s.

22. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    i hear ya. It’s literally the only thing that bothers me but everything else is so amazing to me that I’m willing to live with it for at least a while longer.

I do drive the car fairly hard and so my driving style doesn’t help the case either. But it’s my first Ferrari and so will give it a while longer, if not keep it forever given how great it is at everything else.

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Have you checked to see if any of the wheels are out of round - using a dial indicator - when mounted on the car itself? This can sometimes disclose issues which are causing the wheels to not sit flush and can cause the wheels to be every so slightly out of plane with regard to the axle/hub plane.

Usually a good static balance to a couple grams will help.

I'd also do the normal wheel bearing checks at all four corners.

Ray

24. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    People that went from 458 spider to F8 spider please chime in. How is the vibration? Something like 50% less? More less? And no shaking in the steering wheel?
    Thanks guys!

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hard to put into a percentage. It's a big difference, very big. The only thing I have noticed was once going over a very steep and odd kerb at an angle which really twisted the car. There was a bit of a squeak from the roof as it was up. When you drive an F8 or 488 for that matter you don't get the shakes and wobbles of the 458, they are totally different. IF you want to put it into a percentage, I'd say over 80% of the wobbles and shakes are gone compared to the 458, the difference is that big.

tekaefixe likes this.