458 Italia vs 458 Speciale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Italia vs 458 Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Staj, Jan 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sound. Speciale hands down. Much more natural sounding than the Italia.

Looks goes to the Italia. Not a fan of the Speciale front end nor the livery.

Driving goes to the Speciale. It has a much better throttle modulation, more sorted gesrbox and a less busy chassis.

2. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks! I started with 488 Spider and then added an 812S. After driving the 812S I really dislike the 488 sound and am thinking about switching from 488 Spider to a combination of 458 Speciale and 355 GTS manual.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's a personal preference of course. I personally like the 488 Spider sound, and from a purely driving standpoint, I think the 488 is better and more fun than any of the 458 models - especially the 458 Spider of which I am definitely not a fan.

4. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    In terms of handling do you think the Speciale is very far off from the 488 or is the precision / directness of the steering similar? I know the tech on 488 is superior. I really like how direct and stiff the 488 feels, but I think I’m an NA guy at least for now.

5. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    And sorry for hi-jacking the thread

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Quick answer as to not hijack further.

As mentioned, it's pretty personal. What I like is the stiffer chassis, lesser intrusive ESC and the added punch of the 488 engine. I feel it livens up the car, and in concert with the updated electronics, I think it makes for a better overall package. You really need to go drive the Speciale to see if it does for you what you want it to.

7. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks. That’s helpful. I will try and drive 458 Italia as well and then perhaps I can provide my own feedback to this thread

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    488 had more grip and stability than speciale which was very loose, maybe playful but loose.

On sound...I’ve never heard a modified speciale exhaust capture the stock 458 sound. Fwiw.

9. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J

Thanks. Is the 458 Coupe similar in stability/precision to the Speciale or is there a noticeable difference? All about trade-off’s it seems. Mclaren don’t sound good to me, depreciation/possible maintenance issues, super cramped inside. I don’t like the crazy pops and crackles of Lambo and they are also quite cramped inside. Benefit is much newer driving tech in Lambo vs 458 but steering didn’t seem as direct in Hurracan compared to 488. Was thinking Speciale but haven’t driven it yet to compare handling and overall feel to 488. Should be getting in one in a week and a half or so.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Speciale more playful than Italia.
    I found it too loose for the street. Perhaps switching to modern pss4 tires would help.

You really have to test them and decide as some prefer that playfulness.

11. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I drove a 458 Speciale and Hurracan Performante this weekend. I really wanted to like the Speciale but I didn’t. After owning and driving an 812 w Capristo exhaust for several months I’ve become spoiled by the amazing sound and in order for me to truly love any car it now must have a truly great sound. Additionally I found the steering to be, while precise, not firm enough for what I wanted out of a “race car”. The steering on the 812 is precise but not firm which is what I want out of a GT. I prefer how stiff and direct the steering is and how planted you feel in the Performante over the Speciale. The cabin is more comfortable and roomy in the Speciale but for my purpose I can live with worse visibility and a more cramped cabin- Performante is roomier and less claustrophobic than the McLaren 675LT in my view. I own a 488 Spider and I find the 488 Spider to be planted with firmer steering than the Speciale. I think it’s somewhere in the middle but closer to the Performante in that respect. The sound is my only issue with the 488 Spider, otherwise it would perfectly meet my needs.

I will be purchasing a Performante coupe to pair with my 812 and Urus. I will be selling my 488 Spider

12. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    As I side note I really have preferred the ferrari brand and didn’t want to believe dustman! I’m fully in agreement with you on so many of your posts now.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheers.

sold my perf spyder and already regret it.

14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Soon we’ll share something in common, the perfect garage. I too own an 812 and a Performante. I absolutely love them both. Complimentary personalities and the pinnacle of NA engines.

j34 and Gh21631 like this.