458 Engine is a Cosworth F1 DFV... change my mind. | FerrariChat

458 Engine is a Cosworth F1 DFV... change my mind.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PRO SYSTEMS, Jul 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    So I am at the racetrack and a earlier 1970s Lotus F1 car goes by... then a 458 goes screaming by.

Hmmm, they sound exactly the same.

So I start doing a little research.

I see the cylinder head layouts match, valve locations, central head hold down bolts, camshaft locations, spark plug location, port alignment and even the firing order are exactly the same.

It seems after 25 years of the Cosworth engine dominating F1 that when Ferrari needed a new engine for the 430 and then 458 they copied and improved the Cosworth F1 DFV engine design.. adding direct port injection, some more cubes and away they went.

Once you hear it, you can't unhear it. Now when I hear those 458s all I hear are F1 cars of the DFV era.

Which in reality is pretty cool.

DGPF likes this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It’s a different firing order across the 8 cylinders.

Matt

3. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    The Ferrari Service manual says the 458 is 1-8-3-6-4-5-2-7 same as the 70s and 80s DFV. Did they change the firing order on certain models maybe?

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I could be completely wrong. I have a 308 and only assumed that the 458 firing order was the same: 1-5-3-7-4-8-2-6.

I think you’ve brought up a fascinating topic!

Matt

5. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    All that because I was listening at the track instead of looking... now they just sound the same to me.

Now I need a decal on my 458 that says "Ferrari saved the DFV!" LOL