458 and 488 price parity... | Page 14 | FerrariChat

458 and 488 price parity...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dann0, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although all the above are true, I feel the 488 has too much torque for city traffic. One hint of accelerator and you’re inches away from the car in front, no matter how far away it was two seconds before. Always modulating the throttle pedal can be tiresome very quickly in city traffic. Also, the 458’s gearbox becomes too jerky for my liking.

That being said, I think neither car is suited or feels at ease inside city limits. I certainly hate driving a Ferrari outside a race track or the highway.

Driving a 458 or a 488 in city traffic is choosing the lesser of two evils. It’s so splitting hairs, I personally can’t choose. Give me a mountain pass instead!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Melvok likes this.
  2. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Neither is the best daily driver. Yes - I know a few people here use them as such. But they are best as toys. Both are really great at that.

3. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    458 works great as a daily. I've been doing just that for the past years without any issue. The ground clearance is great if now lowered, it's not extremely long or wide (as an Aventador) getting in and out is easy peasy and a lot of boot space in the front and also inside the cabin. I've got cruise control fitted to mine as well which makes long journeys more relaxed

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Eventful and exhilarating at any speed even B2B vs 488.

xfrgtr likes this.
  5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    If I’m going to be stuck in traffic, the 488 is, in my opinion, a pretty nice car to be stuck in. Set the manettino to sport and put it in automatic, close the exhaust valve, and you’ve got a very comfortable cabin. AC, radio and phone all work nicely. I haven’t found the throttle modulation to be particularly difficult. The brakes can be grabby when they’re cold but that’s about the extent of my critique of the car in traffic.
    Once the traffic opens up, back in race, manual, open her up and enjoy!
    Great car

Mighty Joe likes this.
  6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    458 Spider was a great daily. No FAL and front never scraped. Visibility good all around (never had issue with the rear buttresses blocking view). Even on city streets could wind the RPM's up and the sound reverberating off highrises is intoxicating. Found the throttle to have linear response.

anishka and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Price parity at zero, in about a week or so.

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although I agree price parity between the two will arrive (for what it’s worth), in my neck of the woods, 488s are still considerably more expensive than 458s, although I’ll give you that I’m in a very small market and the whole thing, while I agree it will be a widespread market trend, it’s still market dependable for now.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Yes European market there is still quite a big gap between 458 and 488 pricing.

10. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    488 is just so good looking!!!

blkdiablo33, Viperjoe and MANDALAY like this.
  11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    turned out so far to be a good investment in those 2 years anyway!

Eric C likes this.
  12. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Haha! yeah, that post didn't age well. ;)

I put 10k miles on my "regular" 458 Spider over 3 years and cleared $10k net profit on it, after accounting for insurance, registration, maintenance, loan interest, a PPF re-do, etc (everything outside of fuel). Granted, these are weird times, although I'm feeling very fortunate to have gotten "paid" to drive a Ferrari!!!

pninja005, Rexcat458 and willcrook like this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Down here price parity ? Nah only the few 458 up for sale are old and high mileage. 488 GTB still dearer.

Ash Patel likes this.
  14. johntpr

johntpr Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    John A
  15. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Funny how this thread has been resurrected! I bought my '14 Italia in March '20 w/ 4k on the clock for $190k, now she has 7k on the clock and I see comps hovering around the $275-$300k range. Hagerty even suggested about 6mo ago or so, that I increase the agreed upon value to at least $275k, which I did after further research. Nobody can argue the fact, that the 458 has the last NA V8 period.
    I also feel the 488 and F8 will be as "almost" equally collectible, because they are a part of the last run of V8 Ferraris. I say almost, because they are turbos, which IMO gives the 458 the edge.

430jm likes this.
  16. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    ..and that grey one (with red seatbelts) has been for sale for 3 years.

17. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    no

18. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    :rolleyes: