458/488 values going forward | FerrariChat

458/488 values going forward

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Luis Solo, Jun 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luis Solo

Luis Solo Rookie

Jan 26, 2018
    Key Biscayne, FL
    I own a 2014 458 spider which I love but I am trying to understand how depreciation will affect car value going forward and whether or not it could make sense to trade for a 488 spider hoping depreciation curve is different. Any thoughts on how these models's values will evolve over time? Thank you all.

djastral69 likes this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would think the 458 has a better chance of retaining value in the long run.. you already took a big hit on the car(or someone else) I think you could repeat the process in the 488

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I reread my post and I failed to mention my reasoning ..the 458 may be the last normal aspirated engine .. the 488 will be the first ( you would think) of a few turbo cars

To tell you the truth .. I personally think the 458 speciale is the car that will be a winner

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

stkpick101 likes this.
  4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Both standard 458 and 488 will depreciate heavily. They are simply too many of them made.

In the long run, I imagine the 458 models will hold value better.

In the short run, your new 488GTB will depreciate far more quickly than your 458 because it’s simply a newer car.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    99.9% of non car nerd buyers want the newest car with the best options and warranty. 458/ 488s will follow the same depreciation curve. 488s because they are 'newer, better' will be worth more (again, for 99.9% of real world buyers). Drive a 488 Spider with the top down....you will want one vs the 458. It is the 458 with all the short coming addressed. STUPID fast...

Cigarzman likes this.
  6. 'Trust'

'Trust' Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2012
    To answer your question, I think flash32 said it best; the 458 has taken most of it'*****, it likely won't see another $60k depreciation over the next 5-7 years, where as almost any 488 will over the next 2. Personally (regretfully), I think the Speciale's are at risk of something similar, most have probably 20-40k hit coming in sometime between those years before stabilizing and possibly raising back up. Last NA for sure, but will the market care in the near term (2-5 years)? Doubtful, the newness of turbo's won't have worn off then. I think where they gain their value is when turbo/hybrid becomes more popular, then the last NA really may mean something.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I agree. Near term it’s all downhill. Long term it may be like 993 last of the air cooled Porsche’s. They took 20 years before they escalated sharply in value. 458 will be the standard Carrera/Carrera S, Speciale will be the Turbo and the Turbo S, that’s going to be the Aperta. Relative values attached of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flash32 likes this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This.

And this.

If you intend to keep your 458 forever, because you're a Ferrari entusiast and know the 458 is the last NA, stick with it as it will rise in value, probably driven by the Speciale, which will probably command a strong premium. Only in some years to come though.

If you couldn't care less about the above, I wouldn't care about depreciation either. Go get a nice 488!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I really believe the 458s won't dip too far from where they are now for good, clean low mileage examples. The 458 has the beauty, sound and good enough performance to stand the test of time.

xfrgtr likes this.
  10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    From this point forward, a 458 will depreciate less than a 488. Why? Two reasons: Firstly, the 458 is further along the curve and the floor is never below zero. Secondly, as time goes on both cars will be super old, super "slow", and very "low" performance. When that happens, the things that differentiate them will be the non-tangible things. IMO the NA engine will carry the most weight in those terms.

11. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Just like the limit of the price floor approaches but never reaches zero, the performance and speed also approach a limit that's already not that far away in terms of today's human driven automobiles.

flash32 and Afonsolaw like this.
  12. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    We are currently in the realm of diminished returns... how much more are you willing to pay to go just a little faster. I think it's more about the beauty of the car and how it makes you feel over all.

13. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    And I think Ferrari has realised this because from about 2014 onwards they have been focusing on ‘driving emotions’ (which I’m sure sounds better in Italian) but we all get the point. There will always be faster cars. But are they ‘better’ ?

I agree I think we are approaching the limits of physics and we will peak out right about the time driverless cars become available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk