456 vs 612 | FerrariChat

456 vs 612

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 456Now, Aug 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 456Now

456Now Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hello

i appreciate this has probably been asked before and I know they are different beasts

however I am looking at a 456M GT and 612 F1 (auto) transmission

i want to make the best and correct decision but would love to know people's opinion on what they feel would be the best decision for a long term investment for me to enjoy.

i want to use the car relatively often realistically 3-4k miles a year

Thanks inadvance

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    hard to compare...one is a stick and the other isnt

i own both. the 612 is the "better" car especially if its an OTO. i love my 456 as well. 456s are materially cheaper than 612s, miles for miles.

sorry i wasnt more helpful but its tough to compare. money no object get the more expensive car. if you dont particularly love the 612 then nothing wrong with the 456. The 456 is a true automatic which is very nice in bumper to bumper traffic.

rampante550 and paulchua like this.
  3. 456Now

456Now Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thank you!! What does OTO mean sorry?

Ideally I would prefer a manual but can’t afford a 612 Manual so probably would choose 456

I just don’t want to regret not getting a 612

Thanks

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  5. 456Now

456Now Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thank you for your help

paulchua likes this.
  6. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    456 is a better driver's car in my unbiased (heh) opinion. It really shrinks around you when driven quickly, and feels almost like a mid-engined sports car. The 612, in my limited experience, was much more of a tourer--objectively, it's faster, but it's not as enjoyable to drive--almost a bit too comfortable, requiring little or no effort.

Looks-wise, most people prefer the 456, and I agree.
    Comfort-wise, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I put my 1-year-old in a rear-facing car seat in the 456 fairly often.
    Maintenance-wise, the 456 will be far cheaper due to increased cross-branded parts (if you go that route). There is a much bigger DIY community too. That being said, some parts will be NLA sooner than the 612. It's far easier to work on yourself due to simpler and fewer electronics and ease of access to everything.

As you say, the entry cost of a manual would likely be the deciding factor. I do think you'll be happy either way, which road you take is up to you. Drive a few of both if you can.

paulchua likes this.
  7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Confused: two hours ago you appeared to own a 456M now you are looking at one ?

By the way further to post 4 you will also find there are very few new questions here so it is often worth looking for and reading the previous similar posts (eg what charger or what is an OTO)

Another point about a 612 is it will be ten years newer with all the changes (positive and negative) in vehicle technology that implies

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Agreed the 612 is definitely a GT. It's a great let's go to dinner car. The 456 is smaller and more nimble for sure.

A stick 456 is tough to beat unless the 612 gives you butterflies when you see it. For me the looks of the 612 are timeless and iconic so the "walk by the car in my garage" factor places high for me.

That being said I have a 456 GTMA which I enjoy driving and like I said before I partly love it because it's a true automatic. My OTO outperforms the 456 in every category but 90 percent of my driving is below 75 mph etc

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

paulchua and Nick Nicolaou like this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Oh man I hope we don't have 14 yr posting this stuff...

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

10. Nick Nicolaou

Nick Nicolaou Rookie

Aug 8, 2020
    Cyprus
    Full Name:
    Nick Nicolaou
    I am about to sell my 456 GT manual in order to buy a 612 HGTS package , for £5000 more. I didnt test drive a 612 but love how it looks. hope I will not regret it....

Darren Donovan likes this.
  11. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    We test drove both. The 612 was WAY too big for LA (parking, local streets, my driveway, etc...) and for my wife. It does not hide its size at all. I pushed hard for the 612 before we found the perfect 2003 456M which took a long time.

The 612 interior is in another league (as you know) and you figure any newer Ferrari is better but it was just too far removed from the small/tight/pretty 456M for us.....headlights aside. It IS a lot of car for not a lot more than a 456M though. I think there are a lot more 612’s out there.

Good luck either way !

Nick Nicolaou likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Which 612 did u drive? The oto drives much smaller than it is

Nick Nicolaou likes this.
  13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Whatever one was at Marshal Goldman in Beverly Hills in back in March.
    Not sure if it was OTO but my wife even sitting in it looked ridiculous. The 456 barely fits in our standard Hollywood size driveway, the 612 would not.
    It took us such a long time (months) to land a proper 456m, we even looked at a California T toward the end of our hunt (need 4 seats).

14. Nick Nicolaou

Nick Nicolaou Rookie

Aug 8, 2020
    Cyprus
    Full Name:
    Nick Nicolaou
    Size of two cars is very similar. 612 is only 5 inches longer and 2 inches wider ..... I guess it just looks much larger ?

Attached Files:

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    idk. i have all 3 - FF, 456GTMA, 612 oto - they all drive smaller than they are...the 612 never felt big to me...the FF definitely feels the longest, and parking it is always interesting with the front nose

16. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Totally get it but the extra inches hampers my ability to easily bang around” these LA streets and mostly all driveways around here. I can barely get the 456 through my gate. Maybe an 1 inch clearance on each side. It is bigger than my C5 and an extra 5 inches keeps the 612 from fitting in the garage :( My Challenger is street parked and gets the mirror hit every 3 months or so.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki, paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  17. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Utterly gorgeous 456!!

18. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Imho, 456 is a classic best looking 4 seater. Always admire them.

arkferrari, tantumaude and paulchua like this.
  19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Agreed but I bet that the 612 spends ALOT less time in the shop.

I say this as my 2003 456M had a cooling/overheating situation today and I had to flatbed it to Blackhorse. I was not present as my wife was driving it but coolant leak for sure.

Likely the hose under the intake (a know failure point) I had thought was addressed, lucky I live near Blackhorse at least. Carl will get it sorted proper.

Sorting these things is a hassle.

Also thanks EnzoItaly

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i replaced nearly everything other than the engine and transmission on my 456mgt over 9 years of using it as a dd.
    get used to it :)

21. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Well on my way...

What a joy to drive though.

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #22 Auraraptor, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Let’s be honest, this is an emotional desire, not pragmatic need.

Drive both and get the one that stirs your soul most.

The 612 is an objectively better car (Materials/performance/reliability); the 456 objectively cheaper, with a difference so stark you can essentially replace everything and keep it running for years with the money saved.

The 456 is a subjectively more attractive car....you may or may not agree.

Get the one that you like more...the bills are easier to swallow.

Most importantly ask why your looking at either in the first place and not a 3x8/348/355/California/360/430/TR/512/550/575/599/etc.

Don’t take this the wrong way, I love the 456. It likely will be my next Ferrari. I also think the 456 has hit its bottom on the depreciation curve (but so have many other models)

If you care less about the model and more about the marquee...I would lean to a California instead....much faster, more reliable, etc....but subjectively much uglier (in my eye)

paulchua and Mirek like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    So much on point here, thought you read my mind,

Auraraptor likes this.
  24. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Alas, it was a simple connection/plug that came undone (associated with the radiator fans). Just had to plug it back in. Good to go. Christ.

25. Exoticcarpartsus

BANNED

Jun 1, 2021
    Miami fl
    Full Name:
    Exoticcarparts