456 Torque Tube Bearings | FerrariChat

456 Torque Tube Bearings

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by skl63, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi,

Can anyone help me with the dimensions of the TT bearings from a 456GT or know the difference between GT and GTA TT bearings (other than price and NLA status of GT bearings).

Cheers
    Scott

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You are going to have to pull it apart, and get the numbers off of the old bearings.

3. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It is apart and I know the part numbers.

GT bearings are NLA and GTA bearings are over a thousand dollars each bearing and there are 3 of them, if you can get them.

I have the dimensions of GTA, just need measurements for GT. Some documentation says they are interchangeable, some says they are not.

They are like most TT bearings, a simple SKF, with vulcanised rubber around the outside to grip inside of TT and a rubber insert to grip the prop shaft.

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  5. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    If its difficult to find bearings or stock part is expensive it might make sense to get aftermarket solution. In Porsche transaxle world these guys do quality parts for 928 and 944 torque tubes.

Black Sea R&D

6. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks Vilhuer,

I have actually been speaking with Constantine Black Sea) about getting some bearings produced going forward. They look very good, however the lead time will be a couple of months at least,

Cheers
    Scott

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Can you provide the part numbers? I think that, in addition to the 3, there is also a bearing on the differential, too. (I may need the bearings for my MGTA *sigh*).

8. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Have you tried to source them from a bearing house rather than the dealer ?
    Ferrari does not make the bearings and there may be bearings sold commercially that would fit.

9. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #9 2000 456M, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Just got the word from the dealer. Parts not available; recommended I find a driveline shop; however, Ricambi has the bearings (need 3) at $922.50 each! We'll find an alternative, I'd bet.

10. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    Was there ever any update on a source for these bearings. It appears my new to me 99 456m GTA is having the same type noise while idling in park or neutral. My mechanic just had the tranny pulled and converter rebuilt and changed a few other parts but most of the noise is still there indicating what may be the problem of the torque tube bearings.

Has anyone figured out any other solutions to this issue by chance?

11. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Bump-
    Does anyone know if the bearings in the Torque Tube for the Automatic are replaceable and if so does anyone have a source for replacement? (SKF...etc?)

Thanks!!!
    CT

12. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    There's a shop near me that has another 456m taken apart at the moment, bearing has been sourced. However, sourcing the bearing isn't really the issue as the tooling needed to remove and replace the bearing in the precise location is not a real tool but something that needs to be crated to do the job. I will follow up as I receive more information.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  13. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    You can re-use the existing ones by just changing the bearing inside and rebuilding the housing if your outer rubbers are still in good shape.

14. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    These are not easily replaceable. I have had these remanufactured and they are really nice (see my earlier post). Price including high quality bearings should be about USD250.00 each, depending on order quantity. Turnaround time approx. one week. Let me know if any interest.

15. Tdr2j

Tdr2j Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Rock Hill
    Full Name:
    Reuben Johnson
    I’m interested in getting your bearings I have a 2000 456gta automatic how can I contact you

16. Dal308

Dal308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2014
    Coppell, TX
    Full Name:
    Dude
    I just got my replacement bearings from Scott (skl63) and although we haven't installed yet, they appear to be exactly as promised.

17. Tdr2j

Tdr2j Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Rock Hill
    Full Name:
    Reuben Johnson
    I had posted earlier that I was interested in the bearings but never got a reply back on how to contact

18. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    Send him a private msg and he will respond back. He got back to me within a day or 2 with information.
    Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Tdr2j

Tdr2j Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Rock Hill
    Full Name:
    Reuben Johnson