456 paint correction; aft side window removal | FerrariChat

456 paint correction; aft side window removal

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by franschman, Sep 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I need to do some 'paint correction' along the bottom edge of the aft side windows.
    Can anyone tell if it is possible to remove these aft side windows without taking the ceiling out?
    I had hoped that these windows were just fit in rubber, but after taking the rear seat and panels out it appears that they are glued in.

2. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Sorry I don't know, and I think you are referring to the the "rear quarter" side windows.

But i do know that even for just changing the driver's or passenger's door seal you need to take the ceiling out. :-o
    And before you can get the ceiling out, you need to take out the C-pillar trim, the rear window shelf, the B-pillar trim, the rear seat etc. etc.

Cheers!

3. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Thanks.
    I just managed to remove both 'rear quarter windows'. You indeed need to start with removing the rear seat, side panels, rear head rests, roof panels (all 3), door gasket (very elaborate, carefully noting the position of all shims). Only then you can start cutting the putty which is best done with a long stanley knife, starting with the B-pillar. As soon as you are through the putty, pry in a wooden wedge between steel and glass. This makes the cutting much easier.
    One window went out relatively easily, the other was mounted with much more putty and took 3 hours of sweat and blood (cut myself twice in the process).
    But pleased with this result.

4. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    ... and while at it (famous last words), I took more and more apart with the result that the paint touch-up has now grown to a full scale, windows out, repaint in the original color (Blu leMans). A lot of work, again, but a fitting end to a process that began 2 years ago as a relatively easy damage repair but grew out to a full restoration of my '95 456GT, including full overhaul of engine, box, clutch, suspension, brakes, electrics (partly), HVAC, seats, dash, etc. , correcting or redoing a lot of work done be a previous 'expert' as witnessed by an embarrassing mountain of invoices that came with the car.
    In a month or two she will be as good as new, I hope :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso and MogulBoy like this.
  5. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
  6. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    That’s one hell of a paint correction job!