456 GTA AC Not Blowing Cold Air | FerrariChat

456 GTA AC Not Blowing Cold Air

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Giulio Capolino, Oct 16, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Giulio Capolino

Oct 13, 2020
    Hello! Hope you are all healthy and safe.

I'm trying to fix up 1997 456 GTA which was left plugged in but unused for a few months. Engine wise, it works fantastic, but am having some issues with the AC (in Florida, so AC is pretty fundamental). More specifically, it blows air, but not cold one.

I know HVAC systems can be very complicated, so I wonder if you guys have any quick and easy fix that might do it (ie cooling liquid low or some easily reachable/replaceable component), to try and troubleshoot if it's a real problem or something easier?

Thanks a lot - full disclosure: I'm a computer scientist who loves getting hands dirty with Mech-E but is not as qualified in it. So apologies in advance for some of the more stupid/naive questions!

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The first thing to do is to go to a shop with an AC filler machine. Most likely on every corner in FL. Get the gas filled to the right pressure (amount) and if it does not work by doing that, then it is time to trouble shoot. Good luck.

308 GTB likes this.
  3. Giulio Capolino

Oct 13, 2020
    Great thanks! I actually just purchased the kit from amazon and will attempt at doing it on my own (always good to learn new things :) ). Do you happen to know where in the car the freon cap is located? Find attached the diagram of the HVAC system (is it #2?). Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There's an AC relay in the passenger footwell that fails often. I had to replce mine before I could get cold air.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually it's a solenoid part # 64280200