$44k for a 3.2? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$44k for a 3.2?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dizengoff, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    In Europe we tend to pay no attention to ABS problems on 1980's Ferraris when it is the Teves MkII because:
    - it is usually very reliable
    - furthermore, there were so many cars models fitted with it (Volkswagens, Jaguars, etc, etc, etc...) that finding parts is not a problem at all.

Rgds

3. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Hey, stop hogging them all! Isn't there a limit of one example of each model per person? ;)

2cam

4. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I have a bad habit of buying my hobby cars in multiples...lol

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, keywords are Teves MkII (not Ferrari ABS) ;)

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #31 dfranzen, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    The Mondial shares the same ABS as a Ford T Bird , Buick Reatta, Volkswagon, Alpha Romeo, Jaguar .....no issues here as long as you request the american model components;)

7. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    its not because I own one ....well ok it is

the Mondial is greatly undervalued in the US

christ its the same engine as the 3x8 and 348 PLUS MORE!!!

me thinks it has something to do with the million plus "blue" pills that are sold in the US..no no no cant have a "kid" car lol

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    You might explore your local hot rod enthusiasts. They do quite creative things and and are used to all sorts of weirdness. Luckily I know one from having him work on my Corvair and an older custom supercharged Lincoln Mark VII. His shop is 20 minutes from me which is about two and a half hours closer then Atlanta.

I took him birdmans DIY stack of print outs on a clutch rebuild and said "Can you do that?" Said I would pay full price even if he failed. He was a bit timid at first but I told him time and cost were not issues. Turned out he had a real gas doing it. Got entusiastic about some of the "odd" parts in the rebuild kit I gave him and hunted down exact replacements.

One poster mentioned our cars are mechanically really stupid simple. [Except for the thermonuclear power station cooling system he is right.] People who have never seen a Ferrari are justifiably wary about them. But ours are, in many ways, easier to work on then many ordinary cars. Water pumps, alternators, starters even clutch and timing belts are easy things if you have a lift.

When I picked the car up (I just left it with him over the Winter) and he asked me enthusiastically if he could change the belts. Then hustled me under the lift and said "Look at THIS. These guys are GENIUSES!" I think he wants things to go wrong just so he can have the fun of fixing it. Labor was $2000.

I think I underpaid him but he now has my recently acquired near showroom stock 1988 Mark VII for the full NASCAR treatment including an under hood 7.5 psi possitive displacement supercharger [I run them at 7.5 psi on the 5 Liter Ford small block]. I stopped by to drop off some fluids and noticed he had painted the new calipers! Then he laughed when I was astonished at the giant dual exhausts he was fabricating.

I just hope he lives to be 90 years old.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    PS - One real ***** of a job is replacing the hydraulic clutch master cylindar. I had to do it twice because the $35 Alpha unit, though it worked in normal driving, had a catastrophic chain reaction failure under extreme conditions that lunched every last thing in the system.

There is a large black spring under the dash that I never did figure out how to streach off its mounts. So used long needle nosed pliers to horse the coter key out of the conecting yoke. Then had to seriously horse the pin out because there was not room enough above the yoke just to push it out.

Put it back in upside down then blindly poked a self locking cotter key into the hole at the top. I would do it again but would pay someone $500 to do it instead if I thought they could actually do it without putting a sledge hammer through the fire wall.

Another thing that baffled me was how the brake light sensor was attached to the firewall. In the parts manual it looked to me like it fits through a hole and held in place by a backing nut on the other side. That looked to be an impossible task. Turns out that hole is threaded and you can just use your fingers to change it out. The locking nut is used on the OUTSIDE of the fire wall.