#44121 is gonna get it, now. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

#44121 is gonna get it, now.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rebirthauto, Mar 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Dave, you know I respect you and your vast knowledge and expertise of these cars. Treat it as educating me, not arguing the point. :) If the black tail is in fact an absolute Series I vs Series II feature, then why do some early Series II cars have the black tail? A gradual phase out for early S2s? An orderable option? I'm not arguing, but I've just seen at least those two cars and so it makes me wonder.

I don't know about the vent grille. What's the deal there?

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brian,

My guess is that the issue is similar to the 330GT, the transition from 4 headlight to 2 headlight was the most notable change but various other features attributed to a 2 headlight vs. 4 headlight car were not switched at exactly the same time. They changed as supplies ran low e.g. 5 speed tranny and hanging pedals were introduced 125 cars before the headlight change. My car has early style window switches and a 4 headlight style dash but is a relatively early 2 headlight car.

My guess is that the 400 Series 2 design spec had specific features but, when the new spec was introduced there were a number of bodys pre-delivered (or pre-built) by PF and these bodys had the panel already painted black. Using Italian logic: since the back panel was already painted black, why waste the paint... ;)

Regards,

Art S.

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Brian

I thought Dave was saying exactly the same thing as you
    - that there was some overlap of the black tail into the series 2 cars.

The grille on the bonnet was bare aluminium on series 1 cars - as far as I know it remained that way on series 2 cars. Mine, however, is black!

Aidan

4. VRM

VRM Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    So which of these would be the one originally used on the 250 GTOs?

Rosso Cina
    Rosso Cina 10847 It.
    Rosso Cina 20456 It.
    Rosso Cina 20456 S
    Rosso Cina 20456 S It.
    Rosso Cina 22450 It.
    Rosso Cina 25996 It
    Rosso Cina 815
    Rosso Cina 95C 9614
    Rosso Cina Chiaro
    Rosso Cina Duco 9467542
    Rosso Cina Duco 9539614
    Rosso Cina It.
    Rosso Cina MM
    Rosso Cina MM 10593
    Rosso Cina MM 10847
    Rosso Cina MM 10847 It.
    Rosso Cina MM 17847
    Rosso Cina con banda bianca
    Rosso Cina ex MM 10847
    Rosso Cinese D 815 duco

Thanks!
    Steve

5. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Dave,
    is there a site to verify this colour? reason is that a friend of mine has a Mondial 8 with the Glidden Salchi sticker with this code, but his car is Blu Chiarro.
    best
    Jurgen

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The only real way is to have someone mix it and shoot it......

Whenever you see all the various years listed together like that, you have to remember there were multiple paint vendors, so my suspicion would be there are really three codes per actual color.

Old cars are Glidden
    Then Galsurit for many years
    Modern cars are PPG, IIRC....

And the various actual chemical systems involved also constantly evolved with technology.....so you'lll have to tailor to what YOUR shop has the most experience with, IMO.

7. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    #57 enzo360, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    thanks Big Tex,
    problem is: he recently bought the car without history. The car is Blu Chiarro as we know it. It has the paint code 6338005 by Glidden Salchi, which would be Azzuro Met. according to the list Dave has posted here. But then I see the Dino 308 GT 4 of Alexander Leventhal and he states that his car is in Glidden Salchi Eurolac Blu Chiaro Mettalizatto which looks a lot like the Azzurro we know now.
    Also, the Mondial is an '83, but according to this: http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/ebayShop/PaintCode.htm Glidden Salchi paints were only used up until 1980, then ferrari went to use Glasurit paints.
    The current owner owns his own paintshop but would like to know were this puzzle would lead him as he wants to repaint his car in it's original colour.
    Attached are pictures of the Mondial, it's Salchi's paint sticker and Alexander Leventhal's Dino 308 GT4.
    I know this is not the right section for this, but it is an extension to the list Dave posted here, so please move if deemed neccesary.
    best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a real sticker, the hand written code, IMO. As to wether it matches that late of a car?????

I have a 1977 car with a VERY old Dino color on it, custom order????

What you need to remember though is like catalytic exhaust requirements markets differed, so absolute statements on change over dates often are not absolute! I'd tend to agree that's a very late application of that sticker (same as my 1976 and 1977s by the way)

What he needs to do is register it at the Factory Owner's site, enter the codes in, and they will compare to records there and confirm or deny the paint code number. My latest red 308GTB came black as originally blue so I am going to do exact the same as him and strip it and fix it! LOL!

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    When all else fails pull door panels or carpets they were not neat, when they shot it......:)

I'll have to sand and buff a part of my red car to scan it, or I may just go with Mecum Blue off the 1966 250LM, it has historical meaning in Houston Texas.

My Dino blue is a very pretty color...

10. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    #60 rebirthauto, Dec 26, 2008
    Well here we are, after nine long months of this project slowing down to a crawl while we're waiting on anyone to sell us some rear glass.

The car was repainted a total of 3 times. I think we've got it this time.

The new interior has finally found it's way back into the car.

So, I took the car out for about 50 mile run (no rear window), and now I remember why I like these things. The car is actually a riot to drive (it's a 5 speed), not the slouch everyone seems to think they are. I had an old school Ferrari tech friend of mine go and kick it around. He came back grinning as well, and said (i'm paraphrasing here) that although it's no Daytona, you can still taste the lineage back to the great front engined v12s.

Next on the list is:
    1. Finding some doggone rear glass.
    2. New rubber and wheels repaint (back to silver, I guess)

I am considering selling this car, preferably once it's all wrapped up. If anyone has any interest let me know as soon as possible.

Here some pics of the interior during the install, for those of you keeping tabs:

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays

Sebastien

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Looking great.

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What the heck?! The seats are the WRONG color? haha. What happened to the black?
    Car looks great otherwise. Did you choose the same "creamy white" that was factory or did you do a more Alpine White type color?

And yes, the black wheels needed to go. Funny..when you bought it, I had just been with the car no less than a year back and the wheels were proper silver. Wonder why someone would go black on the wheels...

And it had a new exhaust when I saw it last.

13. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    #63 rebirthauto, Dec 27, 2008
    Thank you for the kind words. It does look pretty good indeed.

Brian,
    We decided to get rid of some of the black, to lighten things up a bit. All that black leather made it difficult to see how nice the inside of the car actually is. If I remember correctly, we instead matched the color to the leather on the trim piece above the "B" pillar. I'll post some before pictures for you, hopefully you'll understand our choice of colors.

Did you see the car at Motorcar in Ft.Lauderdale? How much did they want for it then?

The exhaust is indeed newish, but I am trying to decide if I should go with a Stebro system for it. Being that I will be selling this car, I wonder how much equity there is in that.

Let me know what you think.

Sebastien

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I saw and rode in it at Motorcar Gallery. They were asking $28500 if I remember correctly. The seats were black (of course)...and they looked tired, but I didn't blame that on them being black. I would have re-done them in black of course, I would have gone one further and gotten rid of that berber tan carpet and replaced with black. A white on black Ferrari is rather special. There are plenty of tan interior cars to choose from. Your car though! :)

I want to say this was mid-2006 when I saw it? The wheels were certainly silver and you didn't get the car much after I saw it and the wheels were black by then. Who knows why.

I still have the pictures I took of it when I saw it. Sitting next to what eventually became Dave's blue 84 5-speed if I remember correctly.

15. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    I can always make them black again for you, then about five cows will have given their hides in vain (bow your heads). About the carpet, you have no idea the trouble we went through finding the right german square weave to complement the very unusual headliner (which I actually really like, and had painstakingly restored). Ah well, you just can't please everyone, I guess.

Sebastien

16. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #66 brettski, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    great work Sebastien...a real feather in your cap.

oh, by the way, i've got the news you wanted to hear...i'm parting the '79, which was plan A, and therefore the rear glass is yours.
    give me a call to discuss.

17. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    #67 rebirthauto, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    Finally, after 1.2 years of wait I have finally received from Sicuvetro the crate containing the much coveted, long awaited rear glass for this project. All the way from Scandinavia, this gift, from the frosty heavens, promises to finally put this project back on the road, and perhaps in the hands of an eager new "potential" owner.

So, we eagerly set out to extricate this gem from its crate, only to find that I would be much better off being the owner of a Osca Zagato with a busted windshield.

I give up. It was nice knowing you guys.

10-4

18. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Hey, don't give up just yet. Eurospares is breaking a 412 with all glass intact.

Aidan

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

Not quite sure I follow. The rear glass was broken when you unpacked it?

20. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Sounds like they sent the wrong glass

Al

21. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    #71 rebirthauto, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

They sent a piece of glass for a Osca Zagato. Nice, yes, but not exactly useful.

If anyone of you guys happen to speak to Antti from Sicurvetro, please encourage him to give me a call, send me an email or a singing telegram or something! Thanks.

Sebastien