430 Scuderia or 360 Challenge Stradale? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia or 360 Challenge Stradale?

Discussion in '360/430' started by moazip, Sep 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...gutless, that isn't very nice thing to say - my CS is blushing with embarrassment. Trev is taking a page out of Collin Chapman's book, "adding lightness" is always a better strategy than adding power when racing.

2. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Armchair racing can have no winner.

1. Yes if you lighten the 360 CS it could outrun a Scud, but that is not an argument because one could also lighten the Scud.
    2. Increasing HP in the 360 CS could make it outrun a Scud, but once again the same can be done to the scud. *ScudTT producing 700 HP in a recent thread for example.
    3. Reducing weight and increasing HP/TQ will make any vehicle faster, the correct answer is both aligned with the cost / reliability curve slope.
    4. My dad can beat up your dad; sound familiar.

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Correct, its not for everyone and its not a cheap way to do things but IMHO better.

...I much prefer the lower weight vs more power philosophy.

I did contemplate throwing a F430 engine in the back, even considered for a short while putting a 599 V12 in there (yes it could be shoe horned in!) ... Is actually a cheaper mod than the Scud brakes (!) however I like the 'less is more' approach. Once you begin to shed the pounds it becomes addictive. You really do notice the difference and the benefits are across the entire acceleration, not just at a mid range...

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    All true.

However try a weight reduced car vs one with more hp and then you decide.

As much as I love my big cubed 2 tonne Merc its no sports car....

5. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    i have just gone back to a cs. i had a scud, 16m, italia and now have a 458 spider. cs will be the newest car that i will keep in my little collection (as opposed to current models which are short-term holds) and the only non-manual car. it is not about performance, it is about the feeling on real roads. for me at least faster is not better. i have gone the same way on porsche much favouring air-cooled rs's over the latest and greatest. must be getting old but new cars hold less and less appeal to me.

6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #106 RichardCH, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    The SCUD is certainly not air cooled but I get where you are coming from, the CS with a SCUD engine is where it is at !

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wait, what? The Scud is air or oil cooled? Damn I learn new stuff every day.

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    If you knew anything about car engines, I don't think the oil has anything to do with cooling ....

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My Mechanical Engineering degree laughs at your assumption. Do some research champ...

Most air-cooled machinery is actually oil-cooled....

10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    including the SCUD ? (loser)

11. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Uhh did RichardCH mistype something, Shark01 quoted it and poked fun of him, RichardCH edited it, pretended the typo never happened, and now the two are arguing?

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Now you have edited your post away from your incorrect statement......then you have the nerve to call me a loser because I corrected you.

You better cut back on the personal attack...

13. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    "jerry Jerry Jerry"

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The original quote was this person said the Scud was air cooled, then goes on a personal attack when corrected in a light-hearted manner.

15. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Why??????
    Not cool!

16. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ok, lets leave the personal pokes behind, thanks.

17. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    1+
    I can easy scare an Scud, by the way I don't have a Turbo on my 360 just my "small engine".

18. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I did a mistype but being friendly you have raised the question "air or water" but you weren't , anyway hope that is all clear now

19. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Scud and CS prices are overlapping.... interesting...

20. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    You have more Expensive repair on CS then a Scuderia , i would buy a Scuderia anytime before a CS

21. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have had both a CS and Scud and the scud is better as the gearbox is amazing. Although the CS is balanced on the circuit, enough horses vs weight. The scud can be somewhat handful as the power delivery is delivered with a punch due to the F1 gearbox.

22. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    As they are both "older" cars right now and possibly heading to collector status, which one would give you the most enjoyment seeing it in your garage and the most rewarding driving experience?

Looks-CS
    Performance-Scud
    Sound (stock)-CS
    Purchase price-About equal
    Maintenance-Scud
    Exclusivity-Close but probably CS (not many of either at Ferrari Mondiali at Daytona this year)

I chose a CS but can understand the lure of the scud. As far as speed, both are too much for the street and find myself doing stupid speeds before I realize. That, I'm sure is due to the intoxicating howling sound at the higher rpm.

To the OP, you have a wonderful dilemma before you. A test drive of both may make your decision easier.

23. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark

??? not sure of this....

I think your maintenance cost is almost the same, with the exception of the Belts on CS need to be replaced every 3 years, so that's addl 2K every 3 years.

Repairs?? only thing that's EVER went wrong on my CS is, NEW BATTERY!! car has 15,000 miles

Of course my car goes in EVERY October for its yearly fluid change... (complete!!, brake fluid, trans, radiator, engine. etc.)

24. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree. I've had my CS since 2010. Every year is about $1K service. I did belts and Sticky No More and a few other niggly items last year that didn't NEED to be done for a bill of $5K. I let my belts go 5 years before changing them and both the belts and tensioners still looked new and worked great. I kinda felt silly doing it. My CS has 18,300 miles now.

I've never had any issues with my CS.

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    So...did your kid go to college?😄

Did you have the money in time?