430 Scuderia or 360 Challenge Stradale? | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia or 360 Challenge Stradale?

Discussion in '360/430' started by moazip, Sep 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moazip

moazip Rookie

Jan 3, 2012
    Annapolis, Md.
    Full Name:
    Michael Orem
    Here is my situation. The wife has agreeded to let me use the boy's college fund to buy one of these cars. Terms are that in 4 to 5 years, when he needs it, I sell the car and return the funds. Fair enough. Problem is which of these cars are more likely to sell close enough to what I paid to get the funds back without going into the red?

Opinions?

Mike

2. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Over the last few years for sure the CS has been superb for residuals. Currently the Scud looks great value. Cars are never a good bet for security of invested funds, buy it, enjoy it. How recent car residuals relates to future values is very difficult to predict, well above my pay grade! :)

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Bad idea to risk a child's college fund. What happens if a header comes apart and trashes your engine? What happens if you have a repairable collision? The diminished value could be tens of thousands. Plus you will lose the investment value of the money for the next 5 years.

And there's no guarantee prices will remain as is. The CS has been solid, the Scud is still trending down hard. So what happens if the Scud gets to within $20k of the CS? CS prices could adjust downward as people decide to grab the extra performance of the Scud.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Certainly an interesting situtation Mike. :)

I wouldn't have the balls to do anything like this, so good luck and I hope it all works out for you and your family.

**Be sure to post pics when you decide which one you want. ;)**

5. Supreme360Swag

Supreme360Swag Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Peninsula bay area
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Why not just get a 360? Affordable, ok performance and it looks awesome. Maybe u can keep the car also and kid still get to go to college. Idk I'm just throwing it out there. I know it's not the answer that ur looking for, but why take the kids school funds and spend at least 125k on a cs or at least 175 for a scud if u can buy a good 360 for 70k more or less.

6. moazip

moazip Rookie

Jan 3, 2012
    Annapolis, Md.
    Full Name:
    Michael Orem
    By no means am I using all of his fund for the car. I have to plan on losing some money. I currently have a 2004 575M but after driving a euro 328 GTS for 13 years prior to the 575, the boy and I both agree that we miss a "sports car" VS a GT car. I have equity in the 575. It is simply a matter of which car should hold its value the best. By no means do I see this as an investment..........

Mike

7. scott40

scott40 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow- I wouldn't get either unless you have funds separate from college savings. JMO. Both are great though. I'd pick the Scud.

8. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    CS's will be worth more than Scuds and it has nothing to do with performance. It has to do with supply and demand. I wouldn't trade my CS even for a Scud right now.

Pay cash for your toys. What if you have expensive repairs?

9. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    +1

How guilty will you feel if something catastrophic happens to the economy, car, etc.. then you are out the car, the money, and college for your kid.

10. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Ouch, you hurt me with that one.

OP: Sounds fine to me your concept. You only live once. You need to factor in a few things:

1. Insure the hell out of it.
    2. Buy the "good" power warranty to hedge against huge repairs
    3. The scud has fading carbon issues on headlights and engine bay that is $$$, so maybe a "regular" 430 would be fine ;)
    4. The 360 CS values are holding quite good, but the 430 (and especially the scud) are amazing. Maybe you should drive all 4, then let your heart decide: 430, 430 spider, 430 Scud, CS.

(as for the kid, he has done enough already, college is gravy)

11. rs4

rs4 Karting

Feb 6, 2010
    Hong Kong
    i don't think you are in a position to buy a Ferrari

12. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    #12 since-15, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    No "toy" is worth even considering using any part of your kid's college fund to purchase (even if you can do it with little to no risk). Well... only unless he flunked out. That being said, you have at least 4-5 years to see what happens, Scuds and CSs will always be available.

Better yet, make sure he graduates a year early and you could mess with his head at graduation and roll up in a CS, Scud, or 458 and say, "We did it!!"

13. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow. If I was in that position, I would just get a early 997 911 and call it a day.

Give me your wife's cell and I'll have my wife give her a call. I'm sure you won't have to worry about which car to buy after that conversation ;)

14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #14 freshmeat, Sep 4, 2012
    It's your money and your business. With that said, I'd recommend driving both to really understand what would be right for you.

Personally, I had a cs and was fortunate enough to test drive a scud a few times before I ultimately bought one...and I have to be frank, once I got back into my cs after the test drives the cs felt really, really slow lol. But I do miss the angry sound (my ex-cs had full tubi) and I still think it's a better looker than the scud, but overall, I just wanted + loved the scud more...just had to get it and have been very happy with the decision...though in hindsight, if I had NOT gotten a scud then, and kept the cs awhile longer I would've probably made a handsome profit by now!!!

Who would've thought right? And I don't agree with a previous comment about "scud prices keep tanking"...it's been a full year since I bought mine, prices are still looking steady at the $199-$200ish range for a non-story 09.

Edit: The hazing/fading carbon issue plagued mostly only the 08s-early 09s. The later 09s don't have this issue for the most part...mine is a late 09 and I only have slight hazing on 1 small piece nearest to the exhaust which is getting replaced under warranty. The rest of the engine bay + headlights are perfect.

15. moazip

moazip Rookie

Jan 3, 2012
    Annapolis, Md.
    Full Name:
    Michael Orem
    Well, you see guys, I have to steal from my kid because I used up all the money from my cocaine profits to buy the boat............My God. I thought this was a car site. I have owned Ferraris for over 15 years (none new) and never lost a dime on any of them. All this personal financial advice and judgement from people I do not even know (or know me) is amazing.

16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    you don't take friendly advice very well. Be happy that strangers on the net take their time to give you useful advice.
    I always say "thank you" to people who contribute to threads I started - even if they give me advices I may not find useful.
    You'll stay on the board longer that way.

17. moazip

moazip Rookie

Jan 3, 2012
    Annapolis, Md.
    Full Name:
    Michael Orem
    Maybe so. But I was looking for advice about cars (which some gave, thank you very much). Not my financial situation or if I am a nice person or not.

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    tell me about it......anyhow, the scud is the way to go. amazing performance/value proposition. just amazing.

19. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry if I oversteped my boundry. It's just the glaring elephant in the room when you say that you are taking the money from your kid's college fund in order to buy a Ferrari.

If you left that part out and just asked which of the two cars would lose the less value, that would have kept the financial advice to a minimum.

I certainly didn't mean to offend you, it's your money, so do with it what you will. Good luck in your search.

20. moazip

moazip Rookie

Jan 3, 2012
    Annapolis, Md.
    Full Name:
    Michael Orem
    You are right. I have to take some responsibility. Too much information. By the way, the last Ferrari I sold I got 6K more than what I bought it for. Guess where the profit went? Opps..... damn did it again. too much information............ Anyhow thanks to all who gave car advice. Helped a lot.

Mike

21. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I'll skip the part where I comment about the Ferrari college fund repayment program.

As others have said, the CS market has stabilized, they're great cars and always seem in demand. There were a lot of Scuds built and accordingly, there are a lot of Scuds on the market now.

When Ferrari brings out the "Scud" version of the 458, I think the Scud market will take a hit (and this includes my 16M to some degree). I'm not sure what the effect of the 458 "Scud" will be on the CS market.

So... the CS is an amazing car which would cost you less money than a Scud and may very well be more stable from return-on-cost (notice I didn't say investment) standpoint. Depending on how long you keep the car, you will likely need to spend more money on maintenance with the CS (belts every 3 years etc) and you can get a Ferrari "Power" warranty on the Scud.

Good luck...

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #22 freshmeat, Sep 4, 2012
    I actually think scud prices will beef up upon release of the 458 Scud. My reason being the 458 Scud will be priced significantly higher than a base 458 and be dramatically more expensive than a 430 Scuderia; we're talking excess of $350k (right?) compared to a $190-$200k Scud (as of this post).

Suddenly then, the scud price point looks like a bargain! We'll soon find out I guess. The 458 "Monte Carlo" is due to be released in late 2013 and delivered to owners by 2014.

EDIT: I predict the prices of the regular 458 will be more negatively impacted than the 430 Scuderia.

23. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    + 1 . This is the same exact trend that stabilized 430 prices when Italia came out. The Delta is too much for 170k scud owners to dump and upgrade to 350k scuds.

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I wonder if scuds will touch 170 anytime soon...ppl were projecting it would be by this time, but I have yet to see a non-storied 09 anywhere in that range.

25. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have to think the OP was looking for a confrontation as he could have presented the question without ever mentioning that he was risking part of his sons college fund.