430 Scuderia - Gearbox reverse problem | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia - Gearbox reverse problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by OST, Feb 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OST

OST Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    #1 OST, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys I need your help and opinion on this problem.

My Scuderia has a problem when I shifted to reverse, the gears refuse to reverse and I needed help to push the car backwards. The red icon light on the dashboard (as shown in the photo) is constantly on while the car is being driven. I'm a little detested at this.

Any of you know what I'm dealing with here?

Thank you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. OST

OST Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    I did try the search engine but it came fruitless.

3. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Thats the F1 box Mate, you have either an F1 gearbox problem or F1 pump problem. Keep us advised.

4. tech4ferrari

tech4ferrari Karting
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 22, 2010
    Mt Airy N,C
    Full Name:
    casey johnson
    Possible that you need to bump up the point of initial slip "pis" on your clutch which can only be done via sd3 or other advanced diagnostic tool for Ferrari... And a tech that knows what they are doing.

5. SSR

SSR Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    Dealer scan...

6. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    At 3383 miles which is low miles, I wouldn't think the PIS need to be set but maybe, it does not hurt to have the SD3 diagnostic. Have you just had it serviced? Sometimes the dealer will change the fluid in the reservoir and they may over or in your case under fill it------possibly. Have you had small oil / fluid spills inside/under the right rear wheel periodically? Your hydraulic fluid may be low due to a leaking EV hose possibly. Is the red light on as soon as you start up the car? May be the F1 pump does not have any fluid to pump up. Do you hear the motor F1 run when you open the door? If not, you may have a place to start with the F1 hydraulic motor? That red light encompasses a multitude of problems that the SD3 will pin point for you.

I do not like to see that at such low miles. Other chatters may have some insight for you. Let us know the problem and the fix when all said and done.

thanks
    greyhair

7. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    That red icon indicates the engine lid is open, and with the engine lid open, the car won't allow Reverse to be engaged.

Did you use the reset battery cut-off switch in the trunk for at least 1 minute?

8. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    #8 greyhair, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    The icon that is illuminating is the F1 malfunction light.The rear engine lid open light looks simular to that of the F1 red light but are not the same.

The engine lid open light will display in the area where the yellow tach is, which is called the malfunction display.

This is what the manual states about it:

If the engine compartment lid is open or
    not properly closed, none of the gears
    can be engaged. When the vehicle is
    stationary, with the driver-side door open
    or not properly closed and the brake
    pedal released, the system disengages the
    gear engaged after approximately two
    seconds

The F1 malfunction light illuminates where it is presently showing , in the speedometer area.

This is what the manual states about that:

F1 gearbox failure
    Comes on permanently, emitting a
    beep: when an F1 gearbox operating
    error has occurred.
    If the failure still permits it, free the road
    and contact the Ferrari Service Network.
    Flashing: low pressure in the system.

Hope that clears up the muddy water somewhat.

greyhair

9. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    Do you hear noise from the pump keep going on ? Behind the rear right lights? I have the same stuff happen last week and is just a stuck relay. But my f1 pump is on for like 8 min even after the car is on and drive

10. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    This happens on occasion to my 360. Your best bet it to put it into 1st and then shift it straight into reverse. Its works for me !
    The red icon only came on for me when i was low on transmission fluid it has never stayed on permanently.

11. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    A Ferrari dealer told me do NOT disconnect the battery if the car has a problem because it will clear the error codes. If your car threw some codes, they may help the mechanic find the problem. Good luck.

12. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    did you ever try to adjust the clutch engagement ?

13. OST

OST Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    #13 OST, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    Hi guys, thank you for the quick responses, especially greyhair.

1) The car is currently being serviced and the mechanic did the exact same thing and pressed the reverse button, but this time he pressed it really hard. They think it is most likely due to the 'R' button losing contact. For now that is what they have came up with and the car is still in the process of a diagnostics checkup.

2) A side issue, the passenger's footwell seems to have a lot of clicking noises, is this normal? Especially on bumpy roads when the car quivers but I'm guessing this is due to the car's raw/track build that is diaphanous and different to a 458?

3) One final question, what type of car does the dealer provide you as a courtesy car? I'm slightly disappointed at being given a VW golf.

14. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Scud to Golf.....Wow!

15. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Mine gives out Alfa Mito's as loan cars! When my AMG used to be serviced I got Smart cars!

16. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Some dealers don't do loaner cars at all, be happy.

17. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    LOL, I had a Toyota Rav4 as loner.... When I used to service of 911 TS, I've had Caiman, Panamera...etc.

18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    +1

(I don't think my dealer does...but I cannot complain, they usually come get the car at my house and then bring it back when fixed...or, if I drop it off, they drive me back home)

19. OST

OST Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    It's just that when the Porsche was serviced at the Porsche dealer, they would give an Audi, etc.
    I guess the Ferrari dealer was an exception.
    The main priority is getting the Scud fixed.

20. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Thank you Redjack,

My thoughts about your 3 questions:

1) Yes I have heard of this problem before here somewhere in Ferrari Chat about the reverse button losing contact and being hard to press. However, I am not sure if the F1 malfunction light would be illuminated over a button not making contact. It would depend in the control wiring if it was a "nomarly closed" contact in the reverse button. Another words if the button is open and not sending the signal it may default to red F1 malfunction light----possibly. The dealer should give you the read out of the SD3 which should help, and you can ask the mechanic himself about the normaly closed reverse button.

2) I have a 2008 scuderia and I have not heard any clicking noises at the passengers footwell. I have only let my wife drive it at which I sat in the passengers seat, but I do not remember any clicking noises. All I can think of is there was a problem with the ball joints in some of the scuderia's which maybe the noise is originating from the outside wheel area which sounds like it's in the footwell. This is just a guess though and a starting point.

3) Like the other posters have said, most dealers will not be that generous in loaning cars out.

Let us know what the dealer said.

greyhair

21. OST

OST Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Hey Greyhair, I pm'd you. But I'll post it here just in case, it's just that there was an extra bit of question in the PM.

1) I'm getting the 'R' part replaced, it was the contact that was loose.

2) The other issue is, do all of you find the handbrake a little weak? I was on a slope and the handbrake could not hold the car still even when pulled to the maximum. This happened to the regular F430 also. Is there a fix around this? The mechanics said they had tried their best to asses this issue. This never happened to the Porsche or Discovery.

3) Which is the best recommended fuel for the Scud? 95 Shell or 98 BP? I've been using 98 BP, would there be a significant change if I switch to the Shell 95?

22. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    disconnecting the battery won't clear codes from the Transmission control unit. it could be a pressure issue as it uses two of the solenoid valves to select reverse, which uses a fair bit of pressure, but normally you would have change issues on the higher gears also. It could just be a reverse switch malfunction. I'd doubt that the PIS needs resetting at such low mileage as the software on the scuderia is superb and self-regulating of PIS. I've also had a faulty actuator which caused a similar issue, they are different from the normal 430 one as they use poppet valves. I guess you won't know until it's been hooked up to an SD3.

23. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    I have that same issue! Number 2... What did your dealer say? Is it normal? If it is then I dont need to worry about it.

24. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    " A side issue, the passenger's footwell seems to have a lot of clicking noises, is this normal? Especially on bumpy roads when the car quivers but I'm guessing this is due to the car's raw/track build that is diaphanous and different to a 458?"

It sound like the infamous upper and lower ball joint. Change to Hill Engineering and be done with it...

25. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    Thanks Johan! :)