430 Scuderia ABS pump in F430 | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia ABS pump in F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by F430addict, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Guys,

Need tech support here.

Can the ABS pump in a 430 Scuderia fit a F430? Time for a replacement and since car is already running full 430 Scuderia brakes(calipers and ceramic discs and brake booster) I am torn between ordering the two:

430 Scuderia ABS pump part number 226683
    F430 ABS punp part number 221252

Car has been running F430 ABS pump supporting the 430 Scud brake system for past couple of years with no issues till it decided to nuke itself 3 weeks ago. Just wondering if I should order the scud pump or just the regular F430 pump from Eurospares.

Anyone can help me on this? Thanks in advance.

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No. You will need the other modules and to rewire the car accordingly. It does mean you can convert to Superfast 2 though.

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Btw I have a good F430 ABS module if you need it.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    You sure about that? I seem to recall that there were gearbox differences between regular 430 and Scud (to handle the faster shifting?) - maybe I recall incorrectly...?

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes: Superfast 2 comprises the gearbox, TCU, actuator, and valve body/solenoids.

6. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks mate. Funny thing is, I am already running the superfast 2 gearbox with tcu and relevant wiring on my car. I checked the parts invoice and did not see that they swapped out the abs pump so that means I was still running the factory F430 abs pump. Don't ask me how that worked for as long as it did. So I guess now there is no harm getting the 430 Scuderia abs pump then?

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    According to my experience that is impossible. The Scuderia TCU needs the Scuderia ABS module to work: I have been through this with my conversion. The Superfast 2 TCU uses data from the ABS yaw sensor to improve gear shifts, and on the Scuderia the sensor changed from two channel analogue to digital (CAN bus). The ABS and car main body harnesses were changed to suit. In turn the ABS module requires the Scuderia instrument cluster which is also specific to the Bosch 8 ABS module, and ditto the E-Diff module, which also uses the digital yaw sensor as an input. The above systems must be installed as a package otherwise nothing will work.

The torque cut mapping in the engine ECUs is also different for the 60ms shifts and installing those requires the Scuderia MAF sensors, wiring, and some other sensors.

If you need any help identifying modules let me know as I have been through this recently.

8. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    2009 F430-F1 Having a major problem ECU not communicating with ABS, have changed the ECU & the ABS Computers, this has not resolved the issue. The manettino switch will not go into Sport Mode BUT remains in Low Grip Mode. I think this is the Default Mode. Since I only use the car on the race track I am NOT able to use "RACE MODE". See picture attached, the error symbol is showing up in the display on the tach. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Have taken the car to three Ferrari Dealers, NO LUCK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Bit of a noodle scratcher this one. When you say “ecu”, are you taking about the dash/body ecu in the gauge cluster, or one/both of the engine ecu’s?

What are the fault codes- please post a complete list? Anything with a “U” prefix (which would point to a general CAN network error)?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    the person working on the vehicle just said: there are no engine codes, its just the suspension ECU

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Be very helpful if we knew what codes the suspension ecu was throwing.

Can you buy a wee Autel AP200 scan tool (~$70) and give us a download of the fault codes on all of the modules?

12. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH

13. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Yes I will and get to you with the codes

14. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Sorry for the delay. U1706: No communication with NFR
    Mechanic pulled the steering wheel and examined Manettino switch, put back the steering wheel and started the car, car started not showing the wires symbol in the display and was in Sport Mode, plugged in the computer and was still showing an error code. Turned off the car and restarted and the symbol came back putting the car into default mode “Low Grip”
    Other error codes:
    U0029: Vehicle communication Bus A Performance, Malfunction (Plaus).
    P1059: Vehicle speed signal (Can)
    P0464: Fuel level sensor “A” circuit intermittent
    P1602: Permanent power supply

15. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Do you know if these are all active faults or missed faults (I.e stored codes)?

The P1602 comes up on all Ferrari’s of this vintage whenever the battery is disconnected; it’s not something to worry about as long as it disappears when it’s cleared.

The U codes are the interesting ones. No communication with NFR means that the ABS computer has stopped talking over the CAN bus. Since the ABS module is integral to the driving modes, it explains why the default (safe) low grip mode is selected.

P1059 speed sensor code is also consistent with with above, since the engine ecus get the vehicle speed reading directly from the ABS module.

U0029 has me more perplexed, as it’s indicating poor performance on the A Bus. There are multiple can BUS’s on these cars- usually you have

- A high speed 500kbps bus for the critical functions like engine, abs, suspension, gearbox and steering that all need to exchange information at a high rate,
    - A comfort CAN bus for things like electric seats, radio, climate control etc, and
    - A “fault tolerant” CAN bus that’s used for the safety systems- airbags etc. It’s fault tolerant because it’s designed such that one of the twisted pair of wires can be broken, and the system can still limp on with one wire.

What’s odd is that Ferrari normally call the high speed CAN the “C-CAN”, whereas the fault is indicating an issue with the A CAN. Let me check the wiring diagrams though and see if this is the case with this car. Maybe A CAN is the high speed CAN bus which all of these faults seem to relate to. Well almost all- I’m not sure what the deal is with the fuel level sensor fault. Again, I can look up in Modus and see what the factory help says that fault indicates.

One working theory then is that you’ve got some interference on the high speed CAN. Might be useful if you could do some CAN bus sniffing to see what’s being sent over the CAN. Ideally you would have a working 430 to compare message with. You can do this yourself with an eBay CAN tool.

Let me get back to you on the items above.

16. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
  17. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Is traction control and ABS off as well? If so this might be the exact same problem I had. Marintino, abs, traction, stability, suspension lights were on and it was stuck in weather mode. After about a week in the shop they replaced the diff sensor and didn’t fix it. Then after a bunch of digging they found it to be the yaw sensor. They get all their parts from Ricambi and Ricambi said this was the first yaw sensor they ever sold. Car has worked flawlessly since. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Struggling to find any specific guidance on the network fault code above, but I can confirm that the high speed CAN bus is called C-CAN on 430 too.

See below components on this network:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

You have:
    - steering angle sensor
    - abs ecu
    - instrument cluster
    - suspension ecu
    - tire pressure ecu
    - gearbox ecu
    - e-diff mode
    - both engine ecus.

I can see then that a fault with the yaw sensor could be related. Might be worth a shot?

19. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    I will share the information with the Ferrari mechanic, really appreciated the help I am receiving

20. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have you checked the multi plug on the ABS unit? Unplug it to inspect.

21. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    Yes we did and the plug and connectors were all good, placed star washers on both ground terminal, have disconnected the Ferrari battery tender. This morning, turned on the ignition key, car turned on in "SPORT" , Turned the Manettino to Race and the LCD displayed Race, turned the switch back to Sport and the display said Sport, did this several times and the switch worked as it should showing the selected mode, check the computer : no comm with NFR. Makes no sense.
    Turned off the ignition switch, waited 5 minutes, turned ignition on and LCD display and Manettino switch went back to DEFAULT "Low Grip", checked the error: no comm with NFR.
    Turned the ignition on again, DISPLAY shows "SPORT", Check the error message: NO comm with NFR.

22. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Very odd.

Each time, was the mannetino in the same position when you switched the ignition on?

23. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    The switch was in Sport mode

24. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Every time? You didn't change the position it was in between the different ignition on attempts?

There has to be some reason its changing with the different start attempts.

25. Alan McGrath

Alan McGrath Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Los Angleles, California
    Full Name:
    ALAN McGRATH
    It makes no sense. This morning installed a new yaw sensor, started the car Manettino switch was in "Sport", CHECK OK appeared in the LCD and the car was in sport mode. Drove the car and the car drove fine. While driving changed the Manettino to "Race" that worked, changed back to Sport, that worked, changed to Low Grip, that worked, changed back to Sport, that worked. Came back to the shop and checked for Error Codes. U1706, No comm with NFR
    Removed the yaw sensor and replaced with original, started the car in Sport Mode, CHECK OK appeared in the LCD and the car was in Sport mode, checked for errors. U1706 displayed.
    Drove the car again with the original YAW SENSOR installed, changed settings while driving from Sport to Race and then back to Sport and then to Low Grip, all SETTINGS WORKED WELL and the car drove just like it does on the Race Track, fast and smooth. Came back to the shop and checked for error codes U1706 displayed